Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1964 Amazon 122S restoration project

Views : 27440

Replies : 245

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2022, 07:08   #51
Othen
Premier Member

As always: a fascinating thread.

Many thanks.
Old May 25th, 2022, 15:09   #52
jimbo1593
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
The English materials scientist J. E. Gordon wrote an entertaining (at least for an engineer) book titled 'The New Science of Strong Materials'. It had a chapter subtitled (tongue in cheek) 'When all else fails use bigger nails'. To paraphrase Mr. Gordon, when all else fails use a bigger sledge. In this case, much safer than combustible liquids and less environmental impact. If the cylinder bore can be rehabilitated with just a touch up from a hone, it wasn't really stuck. You just were not persuading it with enough enthusiasm.
Reminds me of a chat I had with an orthopaedic colleague years ago, I said he was too intelligent to be an orthopaedic surgeon, as all they do is hit things with hammers; he laughed.
2 months later he messaged me "I was trying to remove a femoral nail with the consultant yesterday, wouldn't budge, after thinking for 5 mins the boss said 'have we got a bigger hammer'; I thought of you."
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo1593 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2022, 16:28   #53
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1593 View Post
Reminds me of a chat I had with an orthopaedic colleague years ago, I said he was too intelligent to be an orthopaedic surgeon, as all they do is hit things with hammers; he laughed.
2 months later he messaged me "I was trying to remove a femoral nail with the consultant yesterday, wouldn't budge, after thinking for 5 mins the boss said 'have we got a bigger hammer'; I thought of you."
A breed on their own, orthopaedic surgeons!🧐
Old May 29th, 2022, 00:22   #54
JC T ONE

Nice project, hope you can save that B18D.
JC T ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JC T ONE For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 11:33   #55
Juular

Have been fairly burning through the MIG wire on this Amazon.

First stage here was to brace up the door frames.

Then lots of chopping.

Made copies of the outriggers before chopping those off too.

Then creating the jigsaw pieces.

Been using gasless wire as it has been so breezy, but it has worked better than expected.

That's the A pillars and everything forward of them now repaired, ground back and primed.

Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 13:32   #56
Othen
Premier Member

As always: excellent work, well done.
Alan
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 14:24   #57
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

And lots of CAD templates, nice. 👍😁
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 00:22   #58
Bob 1967
Master Member

That is some outstanding work.
Looks like a car SOS job!
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 07:11   #59
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Have been fairly burning through the MIG wire on this Amazon...

Been using gasless wire as it has been so breezy, but it has worked better than expected.
A question about welding if I may Juular,

Have you been using the cored MIG welding wire previously? I've never tried that (I use the small argon/CO2 bottles) - but often wondered whether it wouldn't be more convenient for small jobs. How have you found that? Your previous work has been very neat and tidy, was that done with the core type wire or using gas?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 17th, 2022 at 07:16. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 10:36   #60
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
A question about welding if I may Juular,

Have you been using the cored MIG welding wire previously? I've never tried that (I use the small argon/CO2 bottles) - but often wondered whether it wouldn't be more convenient for small jobs. How have you found that? Your previous work has been very neat and tidy, was that done with the core type wire or using gas?

Alan
Everything previous (including all of the 240) was done with solid 0.6mm wire and Hobbyweld 5 gas.

The recent work on the amazon was 0.8mm flux core from Lidl, and I have now moved on to a roll of 0.6mm Lidl flux core (which seems to be very difficult to find!).

The gas welds are significantly neater than the flux core ones, mainly because of the bead pattern and the fact that the flux core leaves behind slag and a lot of splattering. It's also more difficult to see what you're doing with flux core, as the weld pool is obscured somewhat by the melting flux and splatter. It takes a bit of getting used to.

The flux core also seems to run hotter (even on 0.6mm) which means the risk of blowing through is higher, so it's more difficult to lay a neat bead and sometimes you have to do a fair bit of filling in with the wire. You also have to work slower, or work in a star pattern, moving between different areas to prevent one part from overheating.

Saying that however, the flux core is massively easier to deal with in terms of not having to constantly lug the huge gas bottle around and reposition it every time you move to a different area. It sounds like a small thing, but psychologically it makes going out and working on the car a completely different game. If I had a welding trolley I'd probably not be bothered as much.

When working outside, even though the gas weld is much neater, I've found it very frustrating when even the slightest breeze comes along and you end up with big popcorn-like porous welds that you have to grind right back. In the end, the lack of neatness from flux core is offset by not needing to stop and wait every time the wind gets up.

It's been a windy summer here and I've spent the majority of it not working on the Amazon for that reason, so I thought flux core was worth a shot just to get some work done. I've been very impressed so far, and the Lidl wire is really superb, especially the 0.6.

Down to the nitty gritty, the flux core welds are just as good underneath the appearance as the shielded ones, and that's really what matters.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: