Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PV brake master cylinder

Views : 2500

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 09:33   #11
Army
marches on his stomach

A good bleed sounds like a good plan but don't forget the linkage to the pedal if that is worn then you might also get a bit of a weird uncertain feel
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 14:07   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

As you know the PV's drum brakes are somewhat fussy about adjustment. Quite common to have the fronts a bit grabby, causing a pull to one side. That doesn't address your pedal problem but as you have recently replaced the shoes (all wheels) they might have bedded in now and mean that readjustment is needed. Best start, but annoying, is to remove the drums and see where on the shoes the bedding in is taking place. That's for your own benefit and it gives you the opportunity to clear out any fresh dust. There might also be some spots that will benefit from a rub over with a good sharp file, especially the leading and trailing edges of the linings. Careful and close adjustment of the rears helps with handbrake adjustment after you are happy with how the wheels rotate. The odd slight scuffing not too much of a problem but it shouldn't try and stop the wheel from turning. Good adjustment helps with pedal travel. If the pedal movement is reduced when you put the handbrake on the rears need adjusting.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 12:40   #13
blueosprey90
Master Member

I don't know if my problem warrants a new thread, so I'll try to piggy back off of this old one.

Problem: '57 PV 444 very hard brake pedal. I want to change the brake fluid - at least in the master cylinder.

How to access the master cylinder? I can't really reach.

Looks to be a square cap and there is a special tool SVO 2384 - sort of a long T bar with a socket on the end. I found a reference to it being maybe a 28 mm socket, probably square ended. I was going to possibly try to weld up a tool, but my welding skills are very bad.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the cap off. After that will assess the next problem of how to suction out the fluid.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 14:53   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

No suggestions but you could consider converting the cap to one with a hose fitting and a fluid bottle up on the bulkhead. I think a kit for conversion is readily available.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 00:18   #15
blueosprey90
Master Member

Bummer - when Derek is at a loss, I think I'm in trouble.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 14:45   #16
Derek UK
VOC Member

LOL! If you find out the socket size you need you can make up a long extension for it by filing each end to fit the square of the socket and a spanner.
B16? I think the starter is on the opposite side to the MC so there should be some space to work there.
Looking at the pictures of MC's, 28mm would seem to be unlikely . Much smaller and not metric. This is an interesting read. It might find you a new cap to get the size from or modify for a hose and fluid pot.
http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=298278

How about a bath tap wrench?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/basin-wre...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by Derek UK; Apr 27th, 2022 at 15:24.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 16:07   #17
blueosprey90
Master Member

Oh, you're clever. I have a bath tap wrench and will give that a try.

This morning before work, I tried to test fit a couple different sockets and discovered interference with the frame. If I can get a caliper on it to measure size, I was thinking of trying to make a short wrench out of some flat stock steel.
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 16:32   #18
blueosprey90
Master Member

"How about a bath tap wrench?"

Was a good idea, but didn't work. I got a good grab one time but the cap is on tight!

It might work ultimately, but I think it will be quicker just to pull the distributor and possibly the fuel line to get better access.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 13:15   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

It might work in the future when the cap isn't so tight but you might have done the remote pot upgrade by then. Remove the dizzy by taking out the bolt that holds the clamp to the block. Means that the timing isn't changed when you replace it. How much does the heater fan get in your way? Is that a case of removing a few screws for removal from the bulkhead box?
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:50   #20
blueosprey90
Master Member

I pulled the distributor cap, the #3 and #4 wires and the HV wire leading to the coil.

Then I pretty much climbed up on the bumper and went in head first. I got a short expandable wrench on the cap, and then used a long spanner as a sort of prybar between the engine block and the wrench handle. Popped it loose.

The cap measured 1" or 25.15 mm across the flat sides, and 1.191" or 30.16 mm across the corners. Off the car, I could almost get a 1 1/8" socket on it.

I suctioned out the old brake fluid in the MC. It was blackish, but not nearly as bad as I expected.

Heading out this A.M. to gravity bleed the front brakes while it is on jack stands.