Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 86229

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2022, 14:00   #261
blueosprey90
Master Member

I was finally able to get the starter to work!.

I took the battery out of the car and tested the original starter that had had the mechanical solenoid failure last November. With a direct wire (thick, probably a #10 gauge) and firm connection from the solenoid to the battery, the starter spun up every time.

So I returned the battery to the car and used the same direct test wire (no switch) from the solenoid to the battery. Spare starter in the car. I went for broke and the car started. Tested several times and seemed to start on que.

So I reconnected the push button, under the dash start switch, and with a firm press of the button, that too seemed to work. Of course, by then the car was fully warmed up and it was also about 60 degrees outside.

I think my problem was twofold. My under the hood bump start button was not working consistently; and when I used the under the dash start button, I had weak connections. Perhaps I was spinning for too long and that is why the fuse blew.

In any event, it seems to be working for now.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 16:29   #262
blueosprey90
Master Member

Well, I suppose that I claimed victory over my starter issues too soon!

When I removed the pan that covers the clutch and flywheel, I noticed a bad rubber bushing. So on Saturday, I slid my carcass under the car to replace the so-called cross shaft bushing, B16 part #655995. I didn't think it was the right part, but it did work without difficulty.

Went to start the car. Nothing, just a click at the solenoid.

The solenoid has a male spade connector that appears slightly damaged. One side seems shaved off, so it doesn't have the rectangular shape of the typical spade. Now it is narrower at the top than at the bottom. Couldn't replace without major work.

In any event, I thought that my connection at this connection was loose. After a lot of testing and fiddling, I kept getting inconsistent results and was unsure. I finally pulled the auxiliary push button switch from under the dash and once I fiddled with that, it seemed that the problem is in the switch or in the wiring leading to the switch - too many splices. I still need to investigate further, but think I have narrowed down the issue.

Since I did replace the ignition switch (See post #235), part of me thinks I can reconnect the ignition switch directly to the solenoid and be done with the bypass push button switch.
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 13:15   #263
Derek UK
VOC Member

Will the starter turn if you short out the solenoid with a spanner or screwdriver?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 13:30   #264
blueosprey90
Master Member

I'm afraid of electrocuting myself if I jump the connection with a spanner or screwdriver.

But I have a test wire, probably 10 or 12 gauge, with 2" alligator clips on each end. Clipping one end on the spade connector and firmly touching the other end to the + post on the battery, and it seems to turn over/start every time.

By process of elimination, I've concluded that the starter and solenoid are good and have a good ground. Initially, I was unsure of where the problem was. When it wouldn't start over the weekend, I thought the connection at the spade connector was loose, too small, dirty or whatever else would prevent a good connection. But I think I've now ruled that out and am focusing on the push button bypass switch, or the wiring at the switch.

It got very cold again here, so it will be a few days at least before I go back out to the garage to work on the car.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 13:25   #265
blueosprey90
Master Member

After much ado, I think I've isolated my starter issue to the push button switch that was originally intended to bypass the worn gorilla spring starter switch.

I swapped in a toggle switch for testing, and that seemed to work, but not a long term solution. I pulled apart the push button switch. This is a pretty simple affair and I cleaned the internal contacts. But long term, I'm not sure.

In unrelated news, I managed to get the race car started and timed.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 15:06   #266
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

bo;

If that is one of my Start Switches, they have a high current rating and a very good track record of reliability...but yours still went bad or intermittent, then I expect it was likely due to lots of extended use during Starter troubleshooting...you can try disassembling an decarbonizing the contacts...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2022, 01:41   #267
blueosprey90
Master Member

Dropped the car off jack stands and headed to Lime Rock to watch a few laps.

Had many waves and thumbs up.

Last edited by blueosprey90; May 1st, 2022 at 01:46.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2022, 13:43   #268
blueosprey90
Master Member

The other day, my wife finally noticed that the steering wheel was somewhat art deco.

It's only been 3 or 4 years! See posts #22 and #35.
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 13:09   #269
blueosprey90
Master Member

Beautiful summer weather passing me by, so I pulled the old four seater out of the barn.

Just a few trips back and forth to work before I will return it this afternoon.

Rear carb leaking a bit at the banjo bolt, but I tightened up and all is good.
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 15:48   #270
blueosprey90
Master Member

Criminies!

The old four seater seems to be taking more miles on the trailer than on the tires. I hauled it home from Upstate New York yesterday in order that I can drive it in a leaf peeper tour on October 22nd.

I bet that my wife is going to be asking me, ... um, ... er, ... telling me, ... to haul it back and forth on the trailer for that event.