Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D3 multiple system faults, power issue?

Views : 21564

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 22:51   #31
fiftyeight

Hi,

I seem to be having similar issues with my V60 D3 MY2013.

Details posted here in a separate thread:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...88#post2317488.

I've had no work done on our vehicle other than annual servicing.
fiftyeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 14:36   #32
XCclubman

CAN Bus has its own voltage operational limits but is in general a very robust protocol.

What I believe happened to the OP's car is that this ground cable was causing noise in the can bus causing all the systems to fail one by one. But this by itself doesn't explain all of the problems he has had. I believe the ECM has a very strict check list and if it finds one error that COULD be related with other subsystems it starts shutting them down and doesn't let the car start.

They must do something about that.
XCclubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 21:13   #33
kealan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcohen View Post
OK, so the problem has persisted and still not got to the bottom of it yet. I was holding out on taking it in to Volvo until I could find a common cause for it, and hopefully yesterday I found it. Thought I'd continue to document the issue here, and hopefully Volvo can get to the bottom of it next week.

Timeline of problems to date:

May 19th - Car jet washed. Driving along, 10 minutes after car wash, power system failure message. Battery runs flat while driving, car systems begin shutting down. AA arrive, test alternator, alternator is not providing sufficient voltage.

Alternator replaced

June 10th - Driving on motorway in heavy rain. Systems start failing and error messages on dash (power steering, brakes, parking sensors, etc), reduced performance, had to pull over. AA arrive, clear a fault code to do with the alternator and car is back to normal.

June 13th - Drive car to work (6 miles) without issue. Try to start car to leave at end of day, won't start, displays same warning messages as before. Rained during day but not that much. Suspect voltage issues, post this message on the forums.

Replace battery

September 2nd - on holiday in France. Car jet washed, driven 20 minutes back to holiday rental and left on drive. Next morning, start car and reverse it closer to house for loading suitcases for return journey. Switch car off to load. Start car, dashboard lights up with warnings as before, car won't restart. Manage to start car with jump leads (coincidence?), and then drive 400 miles to calais without issue.

October 17th - car wash. Car is jet washed, driven a few metres and parked up. Car fails to start after 10 minutes. Systems failing. AA arrive, battery "seems fine". AA technician thinks it might be the immobiliser, but only as its the first message of eight. Car starts after disconnecting battery. Lots of messages, parking brake won't release. Faults cleared, car performs as normal.

TLDR:
So, the common theme, appears to be water. Hopefully that will be what the Volvo techs look for first on diagnostics.

My only other hunch, is that the voltage readings (albeit via OBD and Torque app) are always low (12.1 - 12.3) when this has happened. Normally the reading is around 12.7 when I've checked and not had issues starting the car. But the fact that this has always happened during/after a lot of water being thrown at the car seems too coincidental.

Will report back after the diagnostics on Monday, in case this ever helps anyone else.
thanks for all your posts, last christmas 2019 i had same electronic issues or similar, i believed it to be water egress somewhere, i did find water goes directly down a flap right above the alarm box on the passenger side of brittish driven car, (my assesment was it takes alot of water in that area bassed on the grey discolouring of a black rubber plug) you can touch the alarm box with the top of index finger or lift up plastic cover, and my solution to keeping the box dry even though one might think its water tight, i dont think it is 100% like not a chance,i got a piece of modern roofers felt the breathable stuff,and sealed the top and front-sides and back, so water didnt enter the wholes of the box and left the bottom openish to let the electronics breath,i taped a few connections under the car while i was investigating,i was all over the cem board looking for signs of water entry and found none on this 2010 v60 the alarm box came nere end of my investigations,its best to remove the alarm box after taking wheel off and wheel arch liner, i advise disconecting battery before disconecting alarm,i did, over a few days i took the car for a spin with the alarm left in the apartment and on ocassions on first start up a message would say alram needs service so it was detecting it wasn't getting a signal, a good 5 months later alarm box plugged back in and the car has been back on the road and no problems hope this might helps someone as the posts in this chat forum helped me. ps if you go looking for the felt you dont need a full roll just have meter a new roll of the modern stuff the cream breathable stuff is expensive. thanks
kealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 16:37   #34
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agouti View Post
You will only get voltage drop and under-reading if significant current is drawn down those same wires OR there was a wiring issue causing high resistance (volts equals current times resistance). A 1V drop between battery and accessories plug without load would be of concern.

Both multimeter and plug voltmeters are cheap so it is easy to check. Just make sure to get ones which state the accuracy.

You should be sitting at between 13. 8 and 14.2V when the car is running. Too high means the alternator regulator is bad and you will boil dry your battery (plus possible electrics issues), too low and the battery will not charge properly. It may be a little low at idle and/or immediately after starting, ideally test across a range of rpm.
Yes exactly, if his readings are like that then his alternator is perfectly fine, it charges fine. It has to charge 14 volts when the car is idling.

All he has to do is disconnect the little sensor on the battery, wait a few seconds then plug it back in while the car is off, and the message will disappear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200529_164109.jpg (239.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Baal; May 29th, 2020 at 17:24.
Baal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 19:41   #35
Baal

Sorry for double posting but forgot to add a little thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTS6uVG_mEU

Your alternator is fine, it's probably this. I did this long ago on my 2011 V60 D3
Baal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2022, 18:27   #36
Luking

Hello, did you fix the problem? Thank you 🙏
Luking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2022, 07:57   #37
Luking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal View Post
Sorry for double posting but forgot to add a little thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTS6uVG_mEU

Your alternator is fine, it's probably this. I did this long ago on my 2011 V60 D3
Hello i have the problem with my Volvo xc60 2.4d d5 2015. I have lot of brake system failures and errors. It can be broken the wiring loom that you posted in your video? Than you for your answer 🙏
Luking is offline   Reply With Quote