Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 engine conversion from 2.0 petrol (08)

Views : 1626

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2022, 18:07   #11
fulham4eva

@XC90MK1 - Yeah my idea had it been to buy engine/box/loom rebuild them etc, but as people are pointing out the management systems of these doesn't allow for simply changing over a few bits.

I've done a few builds mostly jap stuff but my weakness is the electrics side of things which is starting to sound like to much of a mission.

@pinballdave - Thanks very informative, with that information it does seem the only option is to get a T5 C30 and go from there.
I have seen a few threads in the USA about the 4wd conversion and very successful mechanically it is all fine except for the exhaust getting a bit close to the fuel tank but could wrap etc.
The only sticking point they had was they needed to create software and steal some of the loom from the donor, How they went about the software I have no idea not my strong point.

There is a thread on the Volvo performance forum but the guy hasn't followed up on how it went.

@LizardOfBodom - Thanks your right I've really struggled to find something suitable as a donor plus anything that is around is a good 2k and they seem a bit well looked after to strip for just the drivetrain. I did wonder about the Kuga but as you said difficult to find.

@T5R92011 - I'm quite taken with the looks of the C30 over the S60, but as you said the S60 seems a bit more friendlier to tuning. I must admit I really don't know a huge amount about Volvos as before now I've never owned one but have been so impressed that once I've sorted my Audi it's going and I never want to work on one again. I assume the S60 is predominantly a fwd setup and some 4wd version?? I do prefer Rwd on saloons.
fulham4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 19:03   #12
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham4eva View Post
@T5R92011 - I'm quite taken with the looks of the C30 over the S60, but as you said the S60 seems a bit more friendlier to tuning. I must admit I really don't know a huge amount about Volvos as before now I've never owned one but have been so impressed that once I've sorted my Audi it's going and I never want to work on one again. I assume the S60 is predominantly a fwd setup and some 4wd version?? I do prefer Rwd on saloons.
You can get AWD versions of the S60, but mostly in the states. In the UK the 300bhp S60R is the only AWD version you'll find if I recall.

If I were you, I'd just buy a MK2 Focus ST as it has literally the same engine as a C30 T5, and it feels so much more engaging to drive. Steering it is enjoyable, whereas in the C30 T5, the steering is just so numb, you cant feel anything, so you end up always putting your foot down just to feel something from the car to make up for the lack of steering feel.
Old May 17th, 2022, 20:19   #13
fulham4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
You can get AWD versions of the S60, but mostly in the states. In the UK the 300bhp S60R is the only AWD version you'll find if I recall.

If I were you, I'd just buy a MK2 Focus ST as it has literally the same engine as a C30 T5, and it feels so much more engaging to drive. Steering it is enjoyable, whereas in the C30 T5, the steering is just so numb, you cant feel anything, so you end up always putting your foot down just to feel something from the car to make up for the lack of steering feel.
Yeah I get what your saying, doubt I'd ever go for a Focus they've got too much of a reputation. I prefer a more understated look.
fulham4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2022, 00:21   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham4eva View Post
Scratch find one for the 3k mark but still If it's possible I'd like to build one instead
There you go , might as well do it properly :-)

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...8-7790fd5adfba
Old May 18th, 2022, 21:47   #15
Simmy
Premier Member

any thing is possible with enough money and a lot of skill. time and resources. im waiting i love a good project thread go for it
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote