Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible clogged EGR Valve?

Views : 748

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2022, 22:12   #1
Petey427

Default Possible clogged EGR Valve?

Hi All,

Recently got a 2008 Volvo V50 2.0L diesel. It didn't cover many miles when the last owner had it, then sat at the car dealer for a while. The dealer said it had sat there not really used for about 6 months while they replaced parts. said that it had an engine light on that was a faulty EGR valve sensor which they replaced and got rid of the light.

Slight problem right now is that when its started from cold, the engine is slightly jerky at idle. Feels like its vibrating and is a little unsettled. (Not enough fluctuation to see anything on the RPM gauge though) Once the engine gets warm, its still a very slight but much less noticeable vibration. It also has a similar vibration at some RPMs when cruising. Nothing on acceleration, only after a few seconds holding a constant RPM.

Last thing is the car kicks out black smoke when heavily accelerating.

I'm leaning towards a clogged EGR valve, as that would link to the sensor going faulty.

Just seeing if any one has any suggestions to check the valve without taking the car to pieces? Are there sensors that check how its operating and is there a way to see this?

Thanks!
Petey427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2022, 22:27   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey427 View Post
Hi All,

Recently got a 2008 Volvo V50 2.0L diesel. It didn't cover many miles when the last owner had it, then sat at the car dealer for a while. The dealer said it had sat there not really used for about 6 months while they replaced parts. said that it had an engine light on that was a faulty EGR valve sensor which they replaced and got rid of the light.

Slight problem right now is that when its started from cold, the engine is slightly jerky at idle. Feels like its vibrating and is a little unsettled. (Not enough fluctuation to see anything on the RPM gauge though) Once the engine gets warm, its still a very slight but much less noticeable vibration. It also has a similar vibration at some RPMs when cruising. Nothing on acceleration, only after a few seconds holding a constant RPM.

Last thing is the car kicks out black smoke when heavily accelerating.

I'm leaning towards a clogged EGR valve, as that would link to the sensor going faulty.

Just seeing if any one has any suggestions to check the valve without taking the car to pieces? Are there sensors that check how its operating and is there a way to see this?

Thanks!
Those are also the symptoms of going through a flood and sucking in water bending a connecting rod . It might explain why someone got rid of it . The black smoke is something else , you should have a particle filter on it.
Old May 10th, 2022, 23:37   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

vida will show egr faults iv just changed mine on a c70 its an awkward job some of the fixings are out of sight so have to be undone by feel. my valve was stuck open
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2022, 08:07   #4
Brione

Default Shudder and engine clean

I had similar with the vibration, revs wouldn't change but a slight shudder. I replaced the 3 engine mounts and this solved that problem. With the age of the car these might have never been changed.

Mine is a 2009 2.0d and is not fitted with a Dpf. If yours also does not have a Dpf a good clean out with a couple of cans of egr cleaner. The way I do it is, get engine up to temp, then remove pipe from the front of throttle body. Then reattach as much as possible but leaving a small gap to spray in cleaner. Use at least one can with small squirts so as not to stall engine, once you finish the can turn off engine and leave to soak for half an hour. Then go for a drive with some hard acceleration in second and third gear. Due to the recirculation of the fumes in this engine it gets really dirty. If previous owner didn't do any long drives and engine doesn't get to temperature often it would be quite sooted up.

I take it you have checked the connector to the right of the egr. Also the egr can be blanked off on the 2.0d without Dpf and this cable would need to be disconnected.

There are threads on blanking off on this forum.

Hope this is of some help?

Cheers

Brian
Brione is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v50 2.0d