Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B20 Amazon Twin Circuit - Front Brakes Binding

Views : 1811

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2022, 19:25   #1
skysurfer
VOC Member

Default B20 Amazon Twin Circuit - Front Brakes Binding

The front brakes on my 1969 twin circuit Amazon are slightly binding with a loudish intermittent rubbing/squealing sound when in motion. Have replaced the discs and pads as these needed doing, but still having the same problem. More on one side than the other. Discs can get quite hot as a result. Thinking it could be a sticking calliper issue, but could be something else. Servo seems ok as I've pumped the pedal a few times then switched on the engine and the pedal then drops by 3/4 inch or so. Is there anything else apart from the callipers that could be the problem? The brakes seem fine otherwise. It's like the callipers are not releasing fully. They're not that old, so maybe strip down and check out the internals.....?
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skysurfer For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2022, 12:24   #2
grumpydad

Hi
it could be that the brake hoses have started to collapse and and holding slight pressure

you could test this buy just cracking the bleed nipples
then close them then drive the car and don't touch the brakes
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpydad For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2022, 18:50   #3
142 Guy
Master Member

When you replaced the pads I expect that you would have had to press the pistons back into the caliper body to insert the new pads. If the pistons retracted into the caliper body smoothly it is unlikely that you have a problem with the calipers.

Since you replaced the disks, was the mating surface on the hub for the caliper cleaned off to bright metal? If the surface is not clean the disk could be sitting 'high' on the hub resulting in inadequate clearance between the disk and the outside pad. With a wheel off you can insert a feeler gauge between the inside and outside pads and the disk to determine if the retracted clearances are significantly different (lack of clearance on the outside surface indicating that the disk is not sitting correctly).

If the rubber flex lines are of unknown age, grumpydad's suggestion of internal swelling in the line preventing retraction of the pistons is a possibility. However, it would be unusual for both front brakes to develop a swelling problem in the flex lines at the same time. However, if your old pads were really worn that might have provided additional pad - disk clearance which masked the swelling problem.

Finally, is the brake pedal retracting to its normal position? If the brake pedal is not retracting sufficiently fluid pressure may not be dropping enough to permit complete retraction of the pads.

Last edited by 142 Guy; May 8th, 2022 at 18:53.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2022, 21:59   #4
red122
Master Member

Default brake issue

Its either the flexi hose breaking down inside and not permitting the flowba
ck of fluid or its the servo . flexi hose replacement first as its a lot cheaper !
red122 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red122 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 18:08   #5
blueosprey90
Master Member

Message from the peanut gallery.

I can't speak to the Amazon disc brakes specifically, but based on my experience with an MGA, my guess is that your piston seals are old and hard and need replacement. So, a sticking caliper issue. On my MGA brakes, the piston seal and dust seal flex when the pistons move forward to brake, and when pressure is off the brake pedal, the seals flex backwards and pull the piston back. The brake pad motion is quite small.

If your problem is deteriorating brake lines, you can diagnose that by cracking the bleeder and letting a little fluid out. If that is sufficient to relieve the pressure so the pads retract, then the problem is probably in the lines - or at least upstream.

A third option might be that a relief "bypass" in the master cylinder is blocked.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 15:58   #6
skysurfer
VOC Member

Checked out the calipers and brake lines and these are ok. Also, replaced the brake fluid. Some evidence of rust at the brake warning valve. Front brakes still binding but not as much. The brake master cylinder seems ok so my guess is either a deteriorating brake warning valve or an issue with the brake servo which sometimes feels hard....
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 18:24   #7
c1800
Master Member

Not sure how you could check the rubber brake hoses, they can look just fine externally, but cause a problem internally which can result in your brakes binding. If the age of the hoses is unknown then replacing them would be wise.

Did you remove the warning valve while bleeding? It can get locked in a warning position which would prevent successful bleeding.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 20:12   #8
142 Guy
Master Member

"deteriorating brake warning valve "

I assume that you mean the brake circuit balance warning switch? If so, did you bleed the brakes initially and if you did this using the pedal pump method, did you remove the warning switch contact? As noted by C1800, if not, the pedal pump method will cause the unbalance piston in the warning switch to move. If you restore pressure to both circuits the piston moves back to its balanced position; but, may jam the the operating pin on the warning switch. This normally results in the warning switch being on all the time; but, it is possible that the pin is preventing the balance piston from completely returning to normal. However, this should still result in pressure returning to normal . It is hard to see how a problem with the warning switch could cause a problem with the pressure not returning to rest when you release the brakes.

As noted by C1800, how did you check the brake hoses? Swelling of the internal liner cannot be determined by visual inspection of the outside hose jacket.

Finally, di you try inserting a feeler gauge between the inside and outside surfaces of the brake disk and the respective brake pads. That will indicate whether it is a particular pad / circuit that is causing the bind on whether both pads and circuits are the problem.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 13:46   #9
skysurfer
VOC Member

Well, the brake binding issue has now been resolved. However, I still have this squealing noise at lower speeds (particularly from cold) which is related to wheel speed rather than the engine/transmission. The car is running 5.5J x 15 Minilite reps with 165/80 R15 Vredestein tyres. It could be one of the wheel bearings (one has recently been replaced), or could it be tracking? Anyone else has a similar issue running these wider wheels? Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to skysurfer For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 14:30   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Basics. Front or back? Can you replicate it with wheels in the air? Does the squeal vary at different steering angles, i.e. straight ahead or some lock? Check that you don't have one of the rear axle check straps rubbing on the inside of a tyre. I've had that.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: