Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY12 XC70 Active Bending Xenon Lamp LH/RH Adjustment

Views : 3494

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2012, 11:21   #1
VolvoChap

Default MY12 XC70 Active Bending Xenon Lamp LH/RH Adjustment

Well its that time of year again when I need to get my headlamps adjusted for driving on the continent.

We got the car last autumn so haven't had the chance to drive it abroad yet but being an SE Lux with the top of the range lamps you should expect this to be a simple adjustment if you follow the owners manual except when my owners manual and the Volvo on-line version are different!

Here is what mine says - it makes a distinction between standard Xenon and Active Xenon and I should be able to adjust these from the menu system (apparently). When try this of course the menu item is nowhere to be seen. The engine is running and the car is stationary and nothing.

Anyone else seen this - suggestions? Opening the bonnet reveals little, there is very little room around the lamp area and no visible means of accessing the lamps in so far as I guess I'm not supposed to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manual.jpg (121.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Console.jpg (308.7 KB, 36 views)
VolvoChap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoChap For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 13:00   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

hmmm you have active bending lights in the menu yet no option to change from RHD to LHD it seems . Have you explored all parts of the menu ? it is quite complex as you know !
That picture shows you have to pull the device out a bit but only if you have non active bi-xenon so that won't apply .
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 13:25   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoChap View Post
Well its that time of year again when I need to get my headlamps adjusted for driving on the continent.

We got the car last autumn so haven't had the chance to drive it abroad yet but being an SE Lux with the top of the range lamps you should expect this to be a simple adjustment if you follow the owners manual except when my owners manual and the Volvo on-line version are different!

Here is what mine says - it makes a distinction between standard Xenon and Active Xenon and I should be able to adjust these from the menu system (apparently). When try this of course the menu item is nowhere to be seen. The engine is running and the car is stationary and nothing.

Anyone else seen this - suggestions? Opening the bonnet reveals little, there is very little room around the lamp area and no visible means of accessing the lamps in so far as I guess I'm not supposed to.
If you have Xenons adjustments will be through the sensus.Start engine.

Press My Car - Settings - Car Settings - Light Settings - Temporary RH Traffic

Above is for XC60/S60/V60 - should be same for V70

Note that you may have to do this adjustment everytime you start the car after being parked for a while.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 17:00   #4
VolvoChap

Looks like a trip to my Volvo garage before we go on holiday I suspect. The other possibility is I have a 'flat beam' from what I have read elsewhere but try explaining that to the over zealous police officer.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 19:37   #5
chipshop
Chipshop

Hi, I to have a MY12 XC70 SE LUX, Have been informed by Vovo UK that there has been a misprint in the owners manual, and you must switch them manually, I gave it up as a bad job, and just took myself off to the continent with no problems.
chipshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 19:45   #6
rog1972

Default Adjusting headlights.

My MY12 XC60 allows me to adjust my lights for the opposite position. You need to do it with the engine off, as its a safety feature so you do not adjust whilst driving.
rog1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 20:30   #7
GrantA
Master Member

It looks like your on-board computer will only allow you to switch off the "bendy" or active bit of your bi-xenons. The picture in your original post of the rear of the headlight from your Owner's Manual (where you are supposed to be able to adjust the dipped beam) is exactly the same as the one in the handbook for my MY 2009 XC70. I have bi-xenons but they are not active i.e. not bendy.

There are several threads on the subject here is one http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=headlights and another here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...tal+headlights This next one shows a picture of how to manually change them to flat beams for continental driving if you have that facility (see here) http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73468 It may or my not work for you but worth a look. Good luck and do let us know how you get on!!

Last edited by GrantA; Jul 15th, 2012 at 20:35.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 13:43   #8
VolvoChap

I just called Volvo Cars UK and apparently it should be in the Sensus menu and it isn't. Whith the engine switched off headlamp adjustment is greyed out as the bending of the lights can only be done when they are active (apparently). Could be a software issue - who knows.

Quite simply if the lights can bend they can be electronically adjusted, they are also self leveling so it seems unlikely I need to open the bonnet and do this.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:58   #9
CJL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoChap View Post
I just called Volvo Cars UK and apparently it should be in the Sensus menu and it isn't.
Did they offer you a solution Chap?
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 08:02   #10
VolvoChap

We are taking th car in this morning so hopefully we will figure out we were doing something wrong. It's usually the way; I'm sure the option will pop up on the screen this time. Next of course is to figure out if I can get kmph on the dash!!!

Last edited by VolvoChap; Jul 18th, 2012 at 08:04. Reason: Spellcheck error