Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 AWD & 2WD Tyres & Winter

Views : 11103

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2011, 18:28   #1
volvorocks
Rodney

Default XC60 AWD & 2WD Tyres & Winter

I know there are a lot of threads, that I have read, about tyres and peoples varying views as to whether they should fit winter tyres and whether AWD/4WD and summer tyres is better than 2WD on winter tyres. Stopping distances etc being just the same for 2WD AWD and 4WD irrespective of grip.

When I mention winter tyres I dont mean all season or M+S

My own view is that AWD / 4WD or 2WD on winter tyres is the probable best solution in winter. Looking at Vredestein.

Just wondering how many have used their XC AWD and found it alright on summer tyres in winter having due regard to getting moving , going uphill etc.

Or have you got winter tyres on your 2WD XC60 and find it better or as good as AWD XC60 on summer tyres.

What tyre make have you all got?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 19:33   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

As you say this has been done to death several times already in various threads.

For what it's worth, where I abide I found my AWD to be as much use a chocolate teapot on the snow covered winter roads when I had summer tyres fitted.

I am also aware that there as many people out there who will agree with this statement as there are those that will disagree. My conclusion is that if you have suffered you consider summer tyres to be of limited capability in winter, if you managed to get through with no problems then you cannot see the reason that others had problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 22:15   #3
darbs
XC60 Owner

my experience is that braking or fast cornering on snow or ice on summer tyres in an awd is absolute pants. getting going and uphill and downhill (using the "downhill" button) are no trouble.

i noticed little difference from warmer weather in other conditions, but am aware that winter tyres should outperform summer on all conditions except dry under 7oC. there's a lot of evidence which supports this.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 09:06   #4
snowy1

Whether you have 2 or 4 wheel drive - the car will perform much better in snow and ice on winter tyres than not. Obviously a 4 wheel drive on winters will perform better than a 2 wheel drive on winters but a 2 wheel drive on winters will easily outperform a 4 wheel drive on summers in snow and ice conditions like we've seen the last few years. I run vredesteins wintracs all year round as the wear and performance was not degraded in summer. They are a lower speed rating but unless you are running at 130mph on a regular basis they'll be ok.
snowy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 11:24   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy1 View Post
...They are a lower speed rating but unless you are running at 130mph on a regular basis they'll be ok.
A lower speed rating than the design specification for the car invalidates your insurance as the type approval is given on the speed rating provided by the manufacturer and supplied as OEM tyres when delivered.

Might be worth thinking about.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 12:47   #6
snowy1

Looked into that and the wording is 'SHOULD be of the same speed rating etc etc.....the exception being when winter tyres are fitted etc etc'. No 'MUST be' and doesn't specify when the winter tyres should be put on or removed. A solicitor would have a field day on this I expect should it come to that!
snowy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snowy1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 17:40   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Looked into that and the wording is 'SHOULD be of the same speed rating etc etc.....the exception being when winter tyres are fitted etc etc'. No 'MUST be' and doesn't specify when the winter tyres should be put on or removed. A solicitor would have a field day on this I expect should it come to that!
possibly so, though I suspect that the insurance pockets are deeper than yours and the cost of hiring a solicitor to fight a case would be a lot more than buying tyres with the same speed rating as OEM tyres
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 20:14   #8
stu0710
Master Member

Also, I'm not sure how you would get on from an insurance point of view if you had an accident in the summer on a wet road, and it was noted that the car was on winter tyres with poorer wet grip? Again this could be an insurance nightmare? I think that in most counties where the fitting of winter tyres is compulsory, it is also compulsory to fit summer tyres on the car for the warmer months. Certainly you would only get away with lower speed rated tyres during the winter.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 21:27   #9
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
a 2 wheel drive on winters will easily outperform a 4 wheel drive on summers in snow and ice conditions
on braking and cornering yes. on getting moving, no.

Quote:
performance was not degraded in summer
compared to what? summer tyres? in most conditions, unlikely.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 21:49   #10
volvorocks
Rodney

Hi Guys

Thanks so far for your responses

My understanding is that winter tyres on a 2 wheel drive car will grip corner and stop better than a 4 wheel drive (or AWD) on summers but you will not be able to get going as well. Obviously it goes without saying 4 winter tyres on a 4WD (AWD) will be the best of the bunch. Winter tyres on any car in summer will not stop as well as the same car with summer tyres.As Wimorrison quite rightly says this has been exhausted in previous threads on general cars

However what my OP is about is what is your personal experience with summer / winter tyres on XC60 2WD or AWD in the winter in the cold and wet and ice.
Just wondering how many have used their XC60 AWD and found it alright on summer tyres in winter having due regard to getting moving , going uphill etc. Or have you got winter tyres on your 2WD XC60 and find it better or as good as AWD XC60 on summer tyres.What tyre make have you all got?

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Oct 10th, 2011 at 21:52.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote