Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many 140/160 series survive

Views : 2201

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2009, 20:16   #1
yellow 145

Default how many 140/160 series survive

Hi everyone,
this question has been asked a few times by others who have or are intrested in the 140/160 series volvos,as a voc member i have asked the 140/160 club regestrar if he will find out this information as he will have the required clout with the dvla and our bretherin in the eu.
I think this info will be put to good use as sadly most 140s and other volvos are being robbed of there desirable parts eg overdrives and other parts to make older volvos moreuser frendly,if the 140-145 series and the 160 series are getting rare and we can get an official number it may give the ones left a shot in the arm and they hopfuly will get restored and saved.
I have decided to restore my own 1973 145 dl man o/d 7 seat conversion,i did try to sell her but soon realised people just wanted her rare parts to upgrade other volvos.
I do hope nigel will investigate and all other intrested partys will contact him to try and speed this process up as i think this info will be invaluable to all 140/160 series owners,any other info i am sure will be greatly recived .

cheers yellow 145
yellow 145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 22:26   #2
john h
VOC Member

Glad you're restoring your 145.

The Swedish 164 club is trying to log and register all the remaining 164s in the world !! Don't know whether anything similar is being done for 140s.

If really rusty 140/160s give up their parts for spares for other Volvos, I'm OK with that; it helps us all. But I agree that it's a shame if solid ones are broken just because they're cheap.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:56   #3
fredwinter
VOC Member

I know of at least four 140's, one of which is owned by us, they are all used for historic rallying in its various forms. I am currently undertaking a rolling restoration of ours and will get the parts where ever I can. Better one used 140 that has canabalised parts, than two gone to the scrapyards. However, all the bits I get have come from, except the new, scrapped cars. I agree with John solid ones should not be scrapped for spares. The new £2k scrap deal will not help. Anyone know where I can get an overdrive!
Fred
fredwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:03   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Look for a P1800 to pull to bits!!!!! LOL If you find a very early 240 one the bellhousing can be swapped over or with a later one you could cut and weld the belhousing and then tweak the gear linkages.

in the family we have a running 144, 2 142's project cars, a 145 and 144 for spares and soon will be adding a 145 as a daily driver that will be doing 20 - 30'000 miles a year.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 18:52   #5
Firewagon

Default Surviving 164's

Just have joined the forum. I have an excellent '74 164 that I have owned since it came off the truck. I am currently stuck somewhere between the earth and moon on the return journey (need to run about 20,000 more miles). My Firewagon is shut down due to an idle problem. Not sure which 'thread' I need to visit, as yet, to review the problem?
Firewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 20:25   #6
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Hello and welcome,

Always glad to see another 164 owner join up! Can you post some pictures of your car?

You're in the right section. Click here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10 then click on the New Thread button, on the left of the screen.

Then you can describe your problem and ask for help.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 21:21   #7
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Volvo 164

Another on the Forums with a 164 - yippee! At this rate we'll have half a dozen before the years end!

A few questions re your car: presume its an injection car? Does it have large front-door windows without quarter-lights? Might it just possibly be a 164TE? I met a guy over the weekend who has several 164TE's, and I thought only two or three survive in England.

If an injection car, the idle control is the plastic thumb-screw halfway along the small-bore rubber hoses leading from the cast-alloy inlet manifold to the front LHS of the cylinder block (where the small senders are). It is part of a plastic junction piece and not immediately apparent, so look in your manual for a picture of it.

Keep us in touch with progress.

Paul

1970 164 carb
1972 164E injection
1973 164TE
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:36   #8
Snowman
never knowingly slow

The problem with these cars is the fact that they're not fashionable so only a few of us are interested in keeping them going. Inevitably, we'll strip the rough ones to keep the good ones going.

My DL was in pretty good order when I bought it 9 years ago but regular use takes it's toll and a trip to the body shop would be the right thing to do. It is hard to justify that kind of expenditure though when you know it's a car with limited end value. The joy of hobbies I guess!

Just to show how good they are though, I hadn't used my car since October last year, pulled it out of store last week, did a pretty ferocious rally in it at the weekend with no problems at all other than boiled brakes. Top wagon!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 20:21   #9
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default How many 140/160 are there on the road

I have been asked by yellow 145 to research these figures. But I would point out I have no clout with the DVLA. Information can be requested from the DVLA. The requester has to have good reason to make the request and there is a fee payable. Reading the information on their web site I do not believe we have such a reason.
Whilst I know it will not give a true picture the first place to start is for every 140 owner( 160 owners can as well but please be aware there is reg keeper for that model) who is a VOC member and wishes too, to send me the details of their vehicles. The records I hold were compiled some years ago.
I also have to take into account data protection which says information held has to be accurate upto date and necessary to hold. All new members are informed how to pass details to the respective register keeper but many do not unfortunately. Equally I am rarely updated when a vehicle is disposed of
The new data base means that members can access their own membership account with Lavenham and include their vehicle details there if they wish.
If you wish to send me details and indicate you are happy for me to hold them I am happy to do so.
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 18:16   #10
jeanette2803

Smile How many 140's ?

Hi, I'm new here and really like what I've read so far on this forum!

I actually own one (1972).....she goes by the name of the Queen...and don't be mistaken.. she doesn't have any royal blood.....she's a beat up, repainted (with probably normal household paint ) and she's been given the name because she looks like a Rollerderby Queen....

I got her because since I also own a 240 Estate (1989, gasoline) and met my partner through my "Volvo-craze" I suddenly started driving lots and lots of kilometers....and since we all know that Volvo's are very thirsty beings, I couldn't afford it anymore to keep up that speed (with prices of gas rising daily last year).

So I decided to look for a car that was old (yes here in Holland we have a thing called car-tax, and you pay it by weight of the car (Volvo's are just about as light weighted as myself ;-) ) and until they are 25 years of age (for the time being that is....they plan on changing things in the future...too much old cars driving around these days ) and that would not be driving on gas but on LPG ( € 1,45 vs € 0,47 a liter)....so I met my Queen.

Phew that was a long story.

I love my Queen.... she's hugging the road like anything (which can't be said about The Bitch <- my 240) and sounds like a little sewing machine (credit to my partner who gave the engine a huge amount of TLC and a lot of replacement parts)

Anyway, plan is to give her a paint job, no use in making it a beautiful job as if she's a young, inexperienced little girl ...she looks like in previous lives she's been doing some rolling over or something like that...no, I plan on making her a satin-shine black with maybe a highlight or two (don't know where yet) and lots of chrome. Got some wheels that carry her around that look absolutely fabulous (if they get a sanding and paintjob) and she fits my frame of mind.

Wow...all this only as an answer to "how many 140's? still around".

Sorry guys for a typical female yap-yap-yap..... ;-)

I'm sure you'll agree that I'm not exagerating (no idea if I spell that one correct) if you look at the pics of her Royal Highness.

I have to figure out how this works, my pics are a lot larger than accepted, going to look for a way to resize them and then post them

Just got it figured out..... Photobucket.com.... wow talk about being blonde....been a menber of that for ages....

http://photobucket.com/jeanette2803

Last edited by jeanette2803; Aug 11th, 2009 at 18:40. Reason: addition
jeanette2803 is offline   Reply With Quote