Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone know the Anglia car auctions ex-concours Volvo 164e ?

Views : 4226

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 13:44   #1
Lucien
VOC Member

Default Anyone know the Anglia car auctions ex-concours Volvo 164e ?

Just wondering if anyone here's been to have a look at the gold Volvo 164E for sale at the Anglia Car auctions 9th April sale?

The auction description says:
"Manual, o/d. 3 owners. 126k miles with comprehensive service history. Pevious [sic] Volvo owners club concours winner. The Norwich based vendor, who has owned the car for over 31 years, is only selling due to his advancing years and describes the car as being in excellent condition. This car was used by Volvo in a national advertising campaign during the early 1990's"
I was surprised to see it described as a 1973 164E but be registered on an M-plate (1974 164TE?), but I guess it was just late-registered.

It seems like the current owner is/was a VOC member and the car was a concours winner. Does anyone remember it, or know the owner, or anyone seen it recently? It looks lovely. Just wondering if it's as good as it looks in the pictures.

The manual gearbox with overdrive is a good combination for me. Doesn't seem to have a sun roof which is a shame.

Photos are attached.

Kind regards
Lucien
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973 Volvo 164E 01 A OAH299M.jpg (65.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Volvo 164E 01 B OAH299M.jpg (72.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Volvo 164E 01 C OAH299M.jpg (71.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Volvo 164E 01 D OAH299M.jpg (80.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Volvo 164E 01 E OAH299M.jpg (59.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 1974 Volvo 164E 01 F OAH299M.jpg (49.5 KB, 100 views)
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 15:26   #2
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default ==

wow clean car

clean enginebay-

why is this not on a private sale first??

shame
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 19:21   #3
Bristol603

I am looking for a 164e and I will make the trek up to Kings Lynn for the auction. The estimate is above what a condition one car would seem to go for, but the car does look very clean and original and so may well be worth a premium price (plus buyers premium!).

It is a shame it isn't on private sale as buying at auction means you can't have a test drive to pick up problems in an old car. However, if the vendor is selling due to advancing years, then I can see the attraction of an auction as it avoids the stress of tyre kickers, ridiculous offers, telephone sales people etc. A problem is that you cannot check the car is going to a good home.

The auction site doesn't say if it has an MoT and it would be interesting to know if it has been standing for any length of time without much use. The photo that shows an edge view of the roof seems to have a line where I would expect the sunroof and so I think it has one. I thought all the 164s of this age had a sunroof, but no doubt an expert would know best.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 20:40   #4
john h
VOC Member

Yes, the second photo shows a sunroof

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 09:53   #5
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Yes, the second photo shows a sunroof

John
Aha - yes, you're right. Well then that is a lovely car . . . with a sunroof! Even better.

I must not buy it.
I must not buy it.
I must not buy it.
I must not buy it.
I must ...
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 18:06   #6
JIM C
Forum Support Team

John Bailey is or was the owner of the 164. The last time I saw it a few years ago it was still superb.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 15:38   #7
jeff t
VOC Member

Wink

Its a few years since i last saw it but it sure was a lovely concours car and john looked after it very well,without doubt the best 164 in the country the last time i saw it.
jeff t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 23:02   #8
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
Just wondering if anyone here's been to have a look at the gold Volvo 164E for sale at the Anglia Car auctions 9th April sale?

The auction description says:
"Manual, o/d. 3 owners. 126k miles with comprehensive service history. Pevious [sic] Volvo owners club concours winner. The Norwich based vendor, who has owned the car for over 31 years, is only selling due to his advancing years and describes the car as being in excellent condition. This car was used by Volvo in a national advertising campaign during the early 1990's"
I was surprised to see it described as a 1973 164E but be registered on an M-plate (1974 164TE?), but I guess it was just late-registered.

It seems like the current owner is/was a VOC member and the car was a concours winner. Does anyone remember it, or know the owner, or anyone seen it recently? It looks lovely. Just wondering if it's as good as it looks in the pictures.

The manual gearbox with overdrive is a good combination for me. Doesn't seem to have a sun roof which is a shame.

Photos are attached.

Kind regards
Lucien
Hi Lucien, Yes, John Bailey was the man. Ex Norfolk Policeman. Lovely quiet man and his car was/is superb. If you are looking for a good 164 then snap it up. John used to come up to the Scottish meets and I have a few pictures of his car in the late eighties when he used to snap up any prizes that were going.
Very high standards - both the man and the car.
Bob
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:51   #9
auctioneerjim

Smile anglia car auctions volvo

on friday evening i went to work as normal at anglia car auctions (auctioneer) as i walked through the auction hall i spotted the volvo, i was bowled over ! definately a gem !!!! it is stunning.
auctioneerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 17:01   #10
Lucien
VOC Member

Default Thanks

Hello, thanks for all the excellent information. It seems a well known car then, which is good. It's also good to know that it's still in top condition.

I have a lot of pondering to do! Hmmm...

Kind regards
Lucien