Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OIL! Help please....

Views : 2901

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 17:18   #11
yragyrag90

Right... Bloody hell. Had a go at the flame trap thing today.

So, I found the little thing I was looking for, at least I bloody think it was the right bit. It was a right pain to get to. Finding the thing was hard enough, loads of thanks to Wooble for the location advice, Haynes was a bit hopeless with the diagrams and stuff...
Once it was out the plastic nossle type thing was, as said, totally gunked up. It looked like grease more than old oil. The flame trap, strainer thing, was not going to budge. It took a screw through the centre, then chipping away to the plastic housing, before it finally popped out.
Cleaned the tubes and then fixed it all back together again. Now, I've got fairly small hands, so how the hell some people manage to get it all back together...
Anyway, with it all back together, ran the engine, and oddly the oil cap is still bopping around on top. So, some of it may not be totally clear. But at least I know where it all is now, and how it goes together and comes apart.
Luckily I didn't break anything while I was in there.

I took a few pictures, I was going to put together a How-to but I'm not sure I'm qualified.

Going to get that rocker cover off during the week. That should be fun.
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yragyrag90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 18:18   #12
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Sounds good - re the oil cap still bopping about, rev the engine gently and it should suck itself down if it's good.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 17:45   #13
yragyrag90

Ok... So. Is this the gasket I'll need to replace?
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4418
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 17:52   #14
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

yes thats the one, very easy to do just a few nuts to undo. you might find it cheaper in a local motor factors.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 13:30   #15
yragyrag90

Hmm. Got the gasket through today. It's not the right size. It's too wide. Unless if course (very likely) it is the right size and I'm looking at it wrong.
It says cam cover gasket on the site and valve cover gasket on the pack. If it'll help ill add photos later.
Help!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 14:05   #16
wooble
Stay gold baby!

The gasket has to arch over the cam bearing caps, remember, so it's not as wide when installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 21:31   #17
yragyrag90

Just a quick one to say thanks to everyone who helped with this. We got it done today, like wooble said, it was a really quick job. Everything came apart easily, and went back together with no problems.
The seal is now tight, doesn't appear to be leaking, although I suppose it'll be a few days until all of the oil drips away from the car.

I know it's not a difficult job, but for a total amateur, I felt really proud to have been able to do this myself (although 'safety netted' by my dad). It looks a much more advanced job, with the engine being 'open' and all of the innards exposed. I felt like an engineer.

I've put a few pictures on, just to aid anyone doing these bits in the future. I'd write a how-to. But as I mentioned earlier, I don't feel I'm experienced enoguh to do it justice, also it's not a really complicated job. Although I will if anyone wants it, or it'd be worth it.

Again. Thanks to everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flametrap2.jpg (98.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg flametrap.jpg (79.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg sealcrack.jpg (131.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg openengine.jpg (135.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cams.jpg (235.0 KB, 27 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yragyrag90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 21:47   #18
johnnyv70
Master Member

well done Gary....must be really pleased with yourself.....

john
johnnyv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 00:46   #19
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yragyrag90 View Post
I know it's not a difficult job, but for a total amateur, I felt really proud to have been able to do this myself (although 'safety netted' by my dad). It looks a much more advanced job, with the engine being 'open' and all of the innards exposed. I felt like an engineer.

I've put a few pictures on, just to aid anyone doing these bits in the future. I'd write a how-to. But as I mentioned earlier, I don't feel I'm experienced enoguh to do it justice, also it's not a really complicated job. Although I will if anyone wants it, or it'd be worth it.

Again. Thanks to everyone.
Well done. No job is too simple for a "how too". I know I have written pretty basic ones like changing plugs and leads. You have the essential pictures there. Why not put a few basic words of instruction with it and you will have written your first "how to". Have a look at some of my simple ones if that will help. You are qualified you - did the job. If it helps someone else when they come to tackle this, maybe like you as their first job. then you will be helping another 240 owner.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 01:13   #20
wooble
Stay gold baby!

^^^ agreed, as a 'first timer' you're more likely to point out the little things that those of us who are more experienced may take for granted!.

Good job anyway, always great to see people willing to get their hands dirty and give it a go. You save money and gain valuable experience, it's a win-win all the way! When I was working as a mechanic, it was always shocking what people would pay to have a job done that they could have done in 15 minutes for 1/10 the price if the were willing to have a go themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post: