Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PNP Switch Installation Considerations

Views : 679

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2023, 20:41   #1
robdeszan

Default PNP Switch Installation Considerations

Hello All,
About to replace my PNP switch which has gradually become more and more temperamental (DTC TCM-0039 code).

Looking at various forum posts things are still a bit vague, especially regarding the adjustment of the switch.

This youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFej...MT9uo&index=36) shows the whole process but there is zero mention of adjustment / calibration.

I took two screenshots during the video and I assume his gear selector has been left in P position (see the shaft opening position on his old PNP switch) and (I do not think he is even aware of that) his replacement sensor also happens to be in P position as indicated by the arrows (luck? chance?).

PNP Replacement Screenshots.jpg

The replacement PNP sensor I received seems to be set in a different position by default, though. Notice that the black markings and etched line match the position of the opening for the shaft as indicated by the arrow. Additionally, there is a drilled hole - does this indicate P position for reference perhaps used with a special Volvo tool that gets mentioned in other threads.

Brand New Replacement Switch Position.jpg

So, the main questions to those who have successfully replaced it on P2 v70:

Assuming that the etched line is a Neutral reference, do I start replacing the PNP switch by setting the gear selector to Neutral, to match the default position on the brand new replacement switch?

or

Do I leave the car in Park position, as per the video, and slot the replacement sensor in, forcing the factory-set position on the new PNP switch to be moved as it is aligned with the mounting holes?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by robdeszan; Feb 4th, 2023 at 21:16.
robdeszan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 16:40   #2
robdeszan

Having done the swap, I'd say it is fairly easy.

I left the gear selector on Neutral before proceeding and would recommend doing so as well as the replacement switch has it clearly marked (the etched line).

Once the old PNP switch was off (WD40 and the youtube clip helped) it was very easy to figure out where the gear positions are the AT shaft has really distincts clicks. The AT's shaft will most likely move as you undo the nuts but you can easily set it back to N . Set it all the way to the right - I used small vice grips - to reach Park, then one distinct click left means back to Reverse, and another one to the left back to Neutral). It is definitely worth keeping track of the shaft movement while the link is still connected so the gear selector inside is also in Neutral before finally undoing the link from the AT shaft. Every time it moved, I just moved it back.

I positioned the new PNP switch in the exact same spot as the old one using its mounting marks as reference figuring it would be a good starting point.

Mounting marks.jpg

...and, it worked. I reconnected the link to the shaft, reconnected the wires and finally the car battery to check the reverse lights were ok and the physical movement of the gear selector lever corresponded to the gear changes. Put the airbox back next and started the car to make sure everything works smoothly. Finally, deleted the fault codes using ICarSoft's error code reader and everything is back to normal.

So altogether a rather easy fix (with Volvopartstrade on eBay supplying the original replacement part) for something which initially looked a bit disastrous

Last edited by robdeszan; Feb 7th, 2023 at 16:43.
robdeszan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robdeszan For This Useful Post:

Tags
limp mode, pnp, pnp switch, tcm-0039, v70