Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 840268

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2022, 21:30   #2271
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
All the fun up North today.
245 '80 one owner low miles "driveway find" - so no bull**** about barns.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175411408269
£650 start.

The bit of the bonnet still attached to the slam panel probably says all you need to know...
Run away!!!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 21:44   #2272
BicycleBoy
Master Member

No decent Amazons to calm my nerves after those rusty horrors, but here's a very pretty (for a DAF) Volvo 66 with outrageously low mileage:
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1498796
Dutch, LHD etc, but probably bag you best in class at the BKV.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 21:56   #2273
BicycleBoy
Master Member

...and a 36000 mile 360GLT a bit closer to home
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1498477
Six grand is a lot, but it looks good.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 22:29   #2274
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Turbotastic 940 anyone?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295207743713
The list of mods is really something...
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 23:07   #2275
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Turbotastic 940 anyone?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295207743713
The list of mods is really something...
Wouldn't touch it with somebody elses bargepole!

That said, a drift-boy would like it probably............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 23:52   #2276
Bob 1967
Master Member

My mistake
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 07:17   #2277
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Bidding for this one seems to have stalled at £1,950 - which seems like more or less the right price to me. The auction has less than a day to go and I suspect the seller may be disappointed if he hold out for 4 grand.

:-)
I was curious about this one and bidding ended whilst I was having a cuppa before taking Bob for his first walk (Dan took him for a 3 hour walk last eve, so Bob is having a bit of a lie-in this morn) - so I watched the end of the auction.

There was no frenetic last-minute bidding and it fizzled out at £2,050 - well short of the reserve (which the seller helpfully tells us was £4,000).

We have been commenting on this series of offers and auctions since the end of July; the motor car has 5 months MoT then and only 3 months now. The seller is still holding out for £4,000, but the motor car is never worth that. It remains a £1,500 car plus a bit of allowance for the Weber carburettor set up, so £2,050 wasn't a bad offer.

This isn't a specific comment about Bromsgrove man thinking his slightly old Volvo is worth much more than it really is (well, it is that - but only as an example, I could have selected many others), but a more general observation. Volvo 240s aren't particularly rare and they don't have any particular engineering or aesthetic value (in the way that an E-Type does). They are simple and well built cars that are easy to maintain and drive, and part of their allure is they are quite cheap (compared with, say, 1980s Fords). It is beyond me to understand why so many sellers think their slightly old 240s are worth much more than they really are.

We have seen (over the past 3 years that I have been involved with this forum) and number of over-priced cars, but the market tells us the market for non-historic 240s tops out at £6,000 (and for that they have to be as-new), and most will be in the £1,000 to £3,000 range.

I suppose we will see Bromsgrove man and his 1986 GL saloon again next week, and perhaps every week if he insists on expecting twice what it is worth.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 11th, 2022 at 07:18. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 08:11   #2278
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I was curious about this one and bidding ended whilst I was having a cuppa before taking Bob for his first walk (Dan took him for a 3 hour walk last eve, so Bob is having a bit of a lie-in this morn) - so I watched the end of the auction.

There was no frenetic last-minute bidding and it fizzled out at £2,050 - well short of the reserve (which the seller helpfully tells us was £4,000).

We have been commenting on this series of offers and auctions since the end of July; the motor car has 5 months MoT then and only 3 months now. The seller is still holding out for £4,000, but the motor car is never worth that. It remains a £1,500 car plus a bit of allowance for the Weber carburettor set up, so £2,050 wasn't a bad offer.

This isn't a specific comment about Bromsgrove man thinking his slightly old Volvo is worth much more than it really is (well, it is that - but only as an example, I could have selected many others), but a more general observation. Volvo 240s aren't particularly rare and they don't have any particular engineering or aesthetic value (in the way that an E-Type does). They are simple and well built cars that are easy to maintain and drive, and part of their allure is they are quite cheap (compared with, say, 1980s Fords). It is beyond me to understand why so many sellers think their slightly old 240s are worth much more than they really are.

We have seen (over the past 3 years that I have been involved with this forum) and number of over-priced cars, but the market tells us the market for non-historic 240s tops out at £6,000 (and for that they have to be as-new), and most will be in the £1,000 to £3,000 range.

I suppose we will see Bromsgrove man and his 1986 GL saloon again next week, and perhaps every week if he insists on expecting twice what it is worth.

I concur Alan, by the time that car makes £4k, £4k will be worth about £2k.

Saw the same thing with Land Rovers, some owners think anything with that badge is a ticket to great wealth! 🤨
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 09:21   #2279
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

What am I bid for a 1987 240GLT saloon, in charcoal grey with black leather interior, gauge pack, and 164k miles? Last MoT'ed in 2017, garaged ever since then.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 10:27   #2280
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I concur Alan, by the time that car makes £4k, £4k will be worth about £2k.

Saw the same thing with Land Rovers, some owners think anything with that badge is a ticket to great wealth! 🤨
Exactly, but we see it very often - and sometimes on these pages. the chap with the barn find in northern France that thought he could polish in a shine that would sell it for £15,000 in England comes to mind (he disappeared once he realised that was bunkum).