Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 839734

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 07:34   #1761
Othen
Premier Member

I was just flicking through the C&C ads (XC90Mk1 gave me that idea) and came across this interesting motor car (I know, it is a 740 in the 240 corner):

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1426983

The owner claims that 34 years ago it 'was originally purchased with the sole purpose of it becoming a classic car'. Surely no one would have seriously done that in 1988!

Anyway, it is a nice motor car, but it won't be worth 5 grand in this market, which will see it as a big, heavy, thirsty beast that still has to be taxed and MoT tested. I quite like it, but I couldn't offer the seller what it is worth in this market and keep a straight face.

:-)
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 08:39   #1762
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I noticed that orange 244DL didn’t seem to find a buyer at £11k - I thought that was rather too much (even for a nice car).

Alan
The above was from January 2021, if my memory is correct (and it may not be - I'm getting old) then this is the same motor car still for sale:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1299224

... I'm guessing there aren't all that many orange 244DLs still hanging around, so I suspect I'm right.

The seller is still looking for £10,000 - after a year and a half of trying, this rather supports XC90Mk1's point above.

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 11:32   #1763
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I was just flicking through the C&C ads (XC90Mk1 gave me that idea) and came across this interesting motor car (I know, it is a 740 in the 240 corner):

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1426983

The owner claims that 34 years ago it 'was originally purchased with the sole purpose of it becoming a classic car'. Surely no one would have seriously done that in 1988!

Anyway, it is a nice motor car, but it won't be worth 5 grand in this market, which will see it as a big, heavy, thirsty beast that still has to be taxed and MoT tested. I quite like it, but I couldn't offer the seller what it is worth in this market and keep a straight face.

Strangely enough i remember people doing exactly that, however if he really did do that then he bought the wrong one, he should have bought the GLE instead of the GL as they are the ones that are now sought after, particularly in estate form.

Quote:
The above was from January 2021, if my memory is correct (and it may not be - I'm getting old) then this is the same motor car still for sale:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1299224

... I'm guessing there aren't all that many orange 244DLs still hanging around, so I suspect I'm right.

The seller is still looking for £10,000 - after a year and a half of trying, this rather supports XC90Mk1's point above.

Another one with incorrect details - describes it as a 2.0 but the DVLA reveals it is in fact a 2127cc or as we would know it, a 2.1 and worse than that, it's orange!

Never a popular colour even when new (regardless of make or model!) and unless you have masochistic tendencies awaiting verbal abuse for buying an orange one, won't be popular these days either.
I like orange as a colour (but not on a car or a house!), i like the fruit, the juice/squash and ice lollies but on a car, even a classic car? No!

Someone will probably like it somewhere but do they have that kind of money and the inclination to spend it on a 42 year old car?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 12:35   #1764
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Another one with incorrect details - describes it as a 2.0 but the DVLA reveals it is in fact a 2127cc or as we would know it, a 2.1 and worse than that, it's orange!

Never a popular colour even when new (regardless of make or model!) and unless you have masochistic tendencies awaiting verbal abuse for buying an orange one, won't be popular these days either.
I like orange as a colour (but not on a car or a house!), i like the fruit, the juice/squash and ice lollies but on a car, even a classic car? No!

Someone will probably like it somewhere but do they have that kind of money and the inclination to spend it on a 42 year old car?
Yes, orange ice lollies are nice :-)
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 13:50   #1765
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens with this one Andrew. It looks like a perfectly good motor car with a bit of rust here and there. I rather suspect someone will complain that the motor car has not ben MoT tested since it was 40 years old (although I'd say it doesn't matter one iota - but that is just my opinion).

If the auction doesn't get any bids, or it only just goes above £4,000 then we will know that the softening in prices we have seen in newer 240s has extended to historic vehicles as well. If it makes over £6,000 then the market will have told us the historic vehicle premium is still strong.

We'll see nest week :-).

Alan
The market has spoken - and very loudly I think!

That low mileage 1978 244DL didn't attract a single bid at £4,000. So, we conclude the market for historic motor cars has softened considerably. I think that motor car would have made £4,000 and quite a bit more 6 months ago.

That motor car isn't all that different to the orange one (the Ice Lolly) we were discussing earlier, which is being marketed at £10,000 - probably not this decade :-)

Alan
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 18:52   #1766
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

You folk will appreciate this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284841772...4AAOSwZ8himspK
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 18:58   #1767
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Well obviously worth the $200 premium over a mere blue or black coin holder solely due to the rarity of the colo(u)r. Beige plastic would have a lifespan measured in months on a sunny dashboard, so any that aren't NOS are dust already.

edit: Talking out of my arse again, the joker has black & blue ones for the same money....
Hope his grandkids find a use for them when he's gone.

Last edited by BicycleBoy; Jun 28th, 2022 at 19:13.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 19:22   #1768
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Unhappy

$300 Snowcaps from the same place
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284281491...mis&media=COPY
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 19:50   #1769
Moomoo
VOC Member

Long necked African animal, that’s what this bloke is having. Look at his other stuff!🤷*♂️🧐
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 20:07   #1770
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think the hot Florida sun has gone to the sellers head!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: