Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 840452

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 17:05   #1751
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Topping the charts this week, a new entry straight in at twelve grand:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02206026411988
62 technicolour pictures to get your juices flowing: Steam cleaned like new, you can almost smell the detailing products.
I suspect that motor car may be for sale for a very long time.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 17:07   #1752
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I suspect that motor car may be for sale for a very long time.
I agree and also have a feeling they were less than that when new!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 17:19   #1753
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
This one, however, is, IMHO, worth the money
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02206126723378
£3k for a GLT with 12mths ticket & 50k...
You liked that motor car? It does look very nice in the photos but would appear to have had a rough life from its MoT history. Lots of fails and lots of rust.

The seller claims the motor car has covered only 50,000 miles in its 30-odd years but is unable to provide much provenance, the MoT history doesn't cover its first 15 years when it is most likely to have been used much most.

All that being said, £3,000 would put it at the top of the middling cars or the bottom of the very good cars. Even after taking the mileage with a pinch of salt that is probably about right as long as all the rust issues have been dealt with properly.

The market for 30ish year old 240s seems to have softened considerably in the past 6 months. There might be a buyer out there, but on the other hand this one may be seen as another big, heavy and thirsty car that still costs a lot to tax and MoT. We saw one not dissimilar that had been advertised at £3,000 go for £1,100 at auction only a few weeks ago.

PS. I've just noticed the price is £3,500, and not £3,000 as I'd thought. That is perhaps £500 too much.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 13th, 2022 at 17:22.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 17:31   #1754
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I agree and also have a feeling they were less than that when new!
You are probably right Dave. It is possible that that motor car has covered only 750 miles/year from new, but I have to say it isn't all that likely.

:-)

PS. I'd be put off by the irritating (and incorrect) estate agents' type use of English; what does: 'devouring the carpets of any wear and tear whatsoever' mean? Eating the carpets? Ho hum.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 13th, 2022 at 17:37.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 18:01   #1755
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You are probably right Dave. It is possible that that motor car has covered only 750 miles/year from new, but I have to say it isn't all that likely.

:-)

PS. I'd be put off by the irritating (and incorrect) estate agents' type use of English; what does: 'devouring the carpets of any wear and tear whatsoever' mean? Eating the carpets? Ho hum.
I suspect they intended to say "devoiding the carpets of any wear and tear" and Autocorrect changed it. However it would have been better to say "avoiding any wear and tear of the carpets" but not as good as "protecting the carpets from any wear and tear".

They really need to poof read things before posting them! Errrrrrr....... proof read them even!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 18:11   #1756
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect they intended to say "devoiding the carpets of any wear and tear" and Autocorrect changed it. However it would have been better to say "avoiding any wear and tear of the carpets" but not as good as "protecting the carpets from any wear and tear".

They really need to poof read things before posting them! Errrrrrr....... proof read them even!
... of course you are right Dave, the word the seller was looking for was 'devoiding', but that would hardly have been a common use of English. The seller has tried to be clever (in an estate agent sort of way) but ended up appearing a little foolish.

Ho hum.

Alan
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 18:25   #1757
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
... of course you are right Dave, the word the seller was looking for was 'devoiding', but that would hardly have been a common use of English. The seller has tried to be clever (in an estate agent sort of way) but ended up appearing a little foolish.

Ho hum.

Alan
I think his wording has scope for further adaptation according to taste!
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 06:07   #1758
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Is the bubble now bursting? Just been onto car and classic and noticed vehicles which I remember been advertised at very very high prices in first lockdown, over 2 years ago!!!!!

the rather nice Garnet red S90 has covered 9 miles on the next 2 MOT in total! Clearly a nice car that would sell if priced sensibly.

The first hit is the equally lovely Blue estate, down from £6,750 to £4,500! Over 2k off a 4.5k car shows this was well overpriced. Up 7 miles in 2 years, funnily it went down 5 at last MOT.

Host of others on there for 2 years also!

These are clean low owner cars that would always sell if priced normally. However whilst I would not be put off them now, I would not pay strong money now (or even fair) for something that’s done 6 miles in 2 years!

Think of the calipers, bushes and rubbers etc.

Last edited by XC90Mk1; Jun 14th, 2022 at 06:14.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 06:09   #1759
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Have to add that prices now seem acceptable, sure they would have sold at these prices. But I doubt people want them after seeing they have been laid up for 2 years and are constantly advertised.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 06:31   #1760
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Is the bubble now bursting? Just been onto car and classic and noticed vehicles which I remember been advertised at very very high prices in first lockdown, over 2 years ago!!!!!

the rather nice Garnet red S90 has covered 9 miles on the next 2 MOT in total! Clearly a nice car that would sell if priced sensibly.

The first hit is the equally lovely Blue estate, down from £6,750 to £4,500! Over 2k off a 4.5k car shows this was well overpriced. Up 7 miles in 2 years, funnily it went down 5 at last MOT.

Host of others on there for 2 years also!

These are clean low owner cars that would always sell if priced normally. However whilst I would not be put off them now, I would not pay strong money now (or even fair) for something that’s done 6 miles in 2 years!

Think of the calipers, bushes and rubbers etc.
That is really interesting information, thank you.

I keep an eye on the market, but only for Amazons and 240s really, and I'd say the market is definitely softening for the later 240s. I'm still not convinced the £10,000 to £15,000 were ever selling (although we have had correspondents in the 200 series corner claiming they could polish sufficient shine into their motor cars to sell them for that much). My opinion is that 30ish year old 240s top out at £6,000 but they have to be near perfect to achieve that much.

It is hard to say whether the softening has affected historic cars yet because we see so few 244s and 245s to garner data. My feeling is that it probably has, the historic car premium is still worth 50% to 100% on later cars, but the starting figure is lower.

I agree with you that there is little point over-pricing a motor car such that it is on sale for 2 years or more (although we frequently see that). In that time the car will continue to dilapidate and will cost perhaps £500/year to tax, insure and have MoT tested.

Just my thoughts - now it is time for Bob's first walk :-)

Alan