Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2028094

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2022, 16:36   #2951
360beast
Go redblock or go home

No turbo needed, twin Weber's however
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 17:09   #2952
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Quote:~
"I'm fairly sure (but not 100%) the 240 still relied on a mechanical speedo drive in 1988"
----------------------------------------~---------------------------------------
My car is '88, the above is via a back axle sensor (also the K-Jet, problem free- now tempting fate!!)
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 22:00   #2953
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Let me know if you plan to do the timing belt on the B230E mill and want to borrow my crankshaft locking tool.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 12:03   #2954
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
No turbo needed, twin Weber's however
... okay, watch this space then Luke!
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 12:34   #2955
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... okay, watch this space then Luke!
Oooooh I feel the modifying bug biting!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 13:00   #2956
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I agree with what John said about when you deglazed the bores that you may have removed something that was providing the sealing. It used to be new cars would burn oil for the first few thousand miles while the pistons bedded into their bores and i have known cars foul their plugs with oil due to this.

The K-Jet system is as simple as a carb, if not more simple. Far more reliable then the "Pierbug" carb and will give better power and economy too.

Bypassing the OD solenoid so OD works as a 4th gear (without the option to deselct it) is the easiest way, if the engine, box and prop came from a 240 then they will fit your 240 and i would be inclined to raise the rear of the car and remove the engine and box as a pair unless anyone else can give good reasons why they need to come out/be installed as separate units.

I'm fairly sure (but not 100%) the 240 still relied on a mechanical speedo drive in 1988 but it may be an early one of the later models, i think it was that year they started changing. If you do have to change the extension housing i think (but double check) the Borg-Warner and Aisin-Warner extension housings are interchangeable so as long s the ouput shaft has the pinion for the speedo drive you'll be sorted.
Take the opportunity to change the seal and bush on the extension housing if you do remove it, note there is an oil hole in the bush and this needs lining up in the housing - it's not uncommon for them to spin in service!
Many thanks Dave,

I have about a month before I'd intend to fit the B230 motor (a couple of weeks for the seller to remove it and me to collect it, and a couple more for me to tidy it up and work out what I'm going to do once I have the unit here). That will give me time to put a few more miles on the RB's bores and see if it looks like it is improving. I'll start with a compression test by the end of this week to see what that looks like. In that month I can decide:
a. Whether the B21a is okay - and then whether it stays in the RB or is otherwise usable elsewhere (maybe offer it for sale as a good runner in that case).

b. Whether I'm going to fit the Pierburg carburettor (my current plan) or the K-Jet system (which is currently on the back burner as a possible future thing). I'd need a LP pump from the tank (that wasn't included in the deal, the seller may want to use it himself, but if not I'll claim it) plus probably some wiring for the RB. I haven't done that research yet, so the current plan remains the Pierburg carburettor (which has to be simpler than any FI system can be).

c. The seller was very candid and told me the OD wasn't working when he drove it back from London to Lincolnshire 18 months ago. It will probably be the solenoid at fault, but rather than repair it I'm planning to bypass it, either with an IPD kit or (more likely) with a Dremel (because that is free). I'd be perfectly happy with a 4 speeder, and I could almost certainly use the RB's shifter then so everything looks the same in the cabin.

d. Whether the gearbox has a cable drive for the speedo, a 1988 motor car might well have been manufactured in 1987 (or 1986) so we'll see. If swapping the BW55 cable drive extension looks okay, and if the transmission looks like being a straight swap I'll fit the unit as one and take advantage of a nice overdrive gear.
At the moment I'm planning to remove the B21a/BW55 all in one through the bonnet aperture. The front panel just unscrews, so with that gone and the radiator out I won't need much elevation at all to remove it. The BofH says to remove the transmission first, but I don't think that will be necessary (but it remains a possibility). I'll be splitting the motor and gearbox anyway to change the rear seal, and maybe fit the BW55 if the AW70 proves to be a problem.

Many thanks for all the advice and comments Dave, I'm becoming quite excited by the revitalised RB project.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 18th, 2022 at 14:16.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 13:04   #2957
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Quote:~
"I'm fairly sure (but not 100%) the 240 still relied on a mechanical speedo drive in 1988"
----------------------------------------~---------------------------------------
My car is '88, the above is via a back axle sensor (also the K-Jet, problem free- now tempting fate!!)
Regards Bob.
Thanks Bob,

See my comment to Dave above - we'll see what turns up when I collect the motor in a few weeks. I have a Plan B (swap the BW55's extension) and a Plan C (fit the BW55).

Alan
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 13:08   #2958
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Let me know if you plan to do the timing belt on the B230E mill and want to borrow my crankshaft locking tool.
Thank you Alf,
That is so kind. I'd forgotten that you have the crank locking tool, and have in the meantime ordered one - but it was only £36.46 delivered.
Best wishes,
Alan
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 13:12   #2959
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Oooooh I feel the modifying bug biting!
The RB remains a sort of open-ended project Luke. My plan at the mo is to fit the Pierburg single carburettor with its manifold and mechanical fuel pump because I think that will fit with no modifications. I see no reason (at the moment) why it would not work and would prove the engine and gearbox were both good.
I have not ruled out fitting the K-Jet system once I have a look at what I've bought in a few weeks time. That seems a little less likely at this stage.
:-)
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 18th, 2022 at 14:10. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 16:36   #2960
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Dave,

... In that month I can decide:
a. Whether the B21a is okay - and then whether it stays in the RB or is otherwise usable elsewhere (maybe offer it for sale as a good runner in that case).

b. Whether I'm going to fit the Pierburg carburettor (my current plan) or the K-Jet system (which is currently on the back burner as a possible future thing). I'd need a LP pump from the tank (that wasn't included in the deal, the seller may want to use it himself, but if not I'll claim it) plus probably some wiring for the RB. I haven't done that research yet, so the current plan remains the Pierburg carburettor (which has to be simpler than any FI system can be).

c. The seller was very candid and told me the OD wasn't working when he drove it back from London to Lincolnshire 18 months ago. It will probably be the solenoid at fault, but rather than repair it I'm planning to bypass it, either with an IPD kit or (more likely) with a Dremel (because that is free). I'd be perfectly happy with a 4 speeder, and I could almost certainly use the RB's shifter then so everything looks the same in the cabin.

d. Whether the gearbox has a cable drive for the speedo, a 1988 motor car might well have been manufactured in 1987 (or 1986) so we'll see. If swapping the BW55 cable drive extension looks okay, and if the transmission looks like being a straight swap I'll fit the unit as one and take advantage of a nice overdrive gear.
Alan
Here is the link to bypassing the O/D solenoid with a Dremel:

https://youtu.be/AxyWeP5Gsxs

... it will be simple with the auto box on the ground. That should give me 4 gears with the RB's PRND21 shifter - I'll be very happy with that :-)