Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027682

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2022, 17:43   #2891
Dippydog
Premier Member

The first car I owned I didn't insure as I never took it on the road.The second car[a 1964 MkIII Zephyr 4] I bought in 1973 and insuring it for myself and my dad as a named driver cost me £17.50p for TPFT. I still have the receipt from the insurance brokers along with the booklet of petrol ration coupons that came with the car as there was a fuel crisis at the time. £17.50p represented just short of 1 weeks take home pay for me at the time.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 12:26   #2892
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Have you had much interest in the RB on eBay Alan?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 17:35   #2893
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Have you had much interest in the RB on eBay Alan?
Lots of interest at a distance but no buyer Luke. I'm thinking that prices seem to have softened (I think due to the price of gas and therefore people feeling the pinch a bit) so I've probably over-priced it a little.

I like the motor car and it costs me hardly anything to run, so I'll keep the RB for the time being. Maybe think about it again in the autumn or next spring.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 7th, 2022 at 17:51. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 19:38   #2894
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Lots of interest at a distance but no buyer Luke. I'm thinking that prices seem to have softened (I think due to the price of gas and therefore people feeling the pinch a bit) so I've probably over-priced it a little.

I like the motor car and it costs me hardly anything to run, so I'll keep the RB for the time being. Maybe think about it again in the autumn or next spring.

Alan
I'd definitely agree with you that the cost of fuel is putting people off of buying thirsty cars like ours, a shame really as the cost of fuel isn't everything when it comes to a car but unfortunately that's what people see first and don't think about the cost of maintenance and parts etc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 19:47   #2895
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'd definitely agree with you that the cost of fuel is putting people off of buying thirsty cars like ours, a shame really as the cost of fuel isn't everything when it comes to a car but unfortunately that's what people see first and don't think about the cost of maintenance and parts etc.
That is very true Luke. Other running costs on the RB are very low: no tax, MoT and £48/year to insure. I've done all the heavy lifting with improving the car over the past 3 years, so from day to day there are few expenses. I think the 30ish year old 200/700/900 motors will take a bit of a hit as they still have to pay £300ish/year tax and a MoT test as well as being a bit thirsty.

I don't mind hanging on to the RB. I've been making a point of using it a bit more just lately and have noticed it feels a bit lumpy, probably just through lack of use I think, but I'll investigate when I get time later this week.

:-)
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 13:48   #2896
Grimbob

Lovely Car if you need any wheel bearings have a look at https://www.northwestbearings.co.uk/ when i went to fix my Volvo 850 SE 2.5 sedan they could get the stock right away
Grimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grimbob For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 14:14   #2897
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbob View Post
Lovely Car if you need any wheel bearings have a look at https://www.northwestbearings.co.uk/ when i went to fix my Volvo 850 SE 2.5 sedan they could get the stock right away
Many thanks.

I did change a wheel bearing a year or so ago (NSF if I remember correctly). There was quite a choice of alternative parts online.

:-) Alan

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2705

Last edited by Othen; Jun 8th, 2022 at 14:17.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 22:52   #2898
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks.

I did change a wheel bearing a year or so ago (NSF if I remember correctly). There was quite a choice of alternative parts online.

:-) Alan

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2705
Spooky - I just mentioned this the other day and it has come back to bite me!

Although it was generally against my principles (of paying for something unnecessary) I decided to take advantage of F1 Auto’s current offer on cheap MoT tests. I took the RB in for the test today and it failed on… you guessed it, the OSF wheel bearing. I remember Dave telling me to do both at the time I changed the NSF one (but it seemed okay at the time etc). I’ve ordered a new bearing (it was only £15) and it will only take me an hour to fit it, so I’ll get the RB in for its re-test on that item early next week.

Actually I don’t mind too much (although I should have noticed the wheel bearing when I checked the RB the other day) The rest of my 42 year old motor car is in rude health, so I’m pleased with the way it has turned out.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 9th, 2022 at 22:54.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 14:13   #2899
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've sent you some messages on WhatsApp Alan but you haven't looked at them, hope I haven't offended you offering to to take the RB and turbo swap it

Atleast it was only a minor MOT failure and can easily be sorted.

I know I've asked you already but I can't remember for the life of me what you said! Are you going to the Volvo show at Stratford Racecourse on Sunday 26th?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 15:58   #2900
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I've sent you some messages on WhatsApp Alan but you haven't looked at them, hope I haven't offended you offering to to take the RB and turbo swap it

Atleast it was only a minor MOT failure and can easily be sorted.

I know I've asked you already but I can't remember for the life of me what you said! Are you going to the Volvo show at Stratford Racecourse on Sunday 26th?
I've just checked my cell phone and I can't see any recent WhatsApp messages from you Luke (the last one was in April - I'll reply to it now, let me know if you receive it.

The MoT is trivial Luke, in fact I've probably already fixed it. The cup and cone bearings are adjustable and I tightened it up a bit this morn. I've ordered a new bearing kit though, if it arrives tomorrow I'll fit it before the re-test, if not the RB is probably good to go.

I'm not sure about the show on the 26th yet - I'll let you know next week.

PS. I think I've fixed the WhatsApp issue Luke. It was something to do with the archive settings (I didn't know it had archive settings until 15 minutes ago). I just turned off all the buttons that had anything to do with archiving - one of them must have worked!

Last edited by Othen; Jun 10th, 2022 at 16:23.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: