Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The definitive VIDA & DiCE settings thread.

Views : 40837

Replies : 155

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 22:24   #51
Thanatos
VOC Member

An easy way to get a version that works is

Follow this
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...55027&start=14

It'd loads a virtual machine so that any os can use it Linux Mac or windows and it's 2012 but it can be updated
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 22:28   #52
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
An easy way to get a version that works is

Follow this
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...55027&start=14

It'd loads a virtual machine so that any os can use it Linux Mac or windows and it's 2012 but it can be updated
VMs can be picky and difficult too.

On mine it would grind to a halt after about 10-15mins use, plus getting the USB interfaces working was a major PITA.

A clean install on to a fresh OS is the best way to run VIDA, but this option obviously isnt available to everyone.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 22:32   #53
bandit1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
I mean I wiped the computer and did a fresh OS install.

Are you doing this on a fresh OS install, or a used computer?
its a used computer but its not mine. also I have now got the dice active in the software but it is showing an error. It wont read the vehicle and when I run the dice configuration / test communication tool its shows an EEprom error, flash external and internal error, PC/BC loopback error and ram internal and external error
bandit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:04   #54
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit1200s View Post
its a used computer but its not mine. also I have now got the dice active in the software but it is showing an error. It wont read the vehicle and when I run the dice configuration / test communication tool its shows an EEprom error, flash external and internal error, PC/BC loopback error and ram internal and external error
This is what mine is doing. I can't do a fresh os install as I don't have the discs for it. I think I will try removing both altogether and trying again.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:48   #55
A lex
Premier Member

Well, good luck to you.

I tried everything, but had to bite the bullet and do a fresh OS install.

I understand that might not be an option, but that in turn means you might not got VIDA working.

If you really get stuck, id advise trying a VM install as you can create a bare OS within your own system, but it comes with its own problems.

Back in the original post I mentioned that installing on to a clean OS is basically essential, for exactly the reasons you are unfortunately discovering now

Last edited by A lex; Apr 9th, 2014 at 08:51.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 21:29   #56
MrTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
The best way to get a working VIDA first time is to conduct the following:

Fresh install of Windows, if using XP (SP3) it needs to be a Professional edition and NOT a Home version. If using Win7 or Win8 then it needs to be a Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise edition.

I'm thinking of getting one of these, I was led to believe it would only run on XP 32 bit. I have a win 8 64 bit lappy, would it work on this ? I do have an old lappy with Vista on it but only 1 gig of ram, would that be better ?

Thanks

Mal
MrTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 22:36   #57
SonyVaio
VOC Member

It all depends on the version of VIDA you are planning on running.

The latest versions will run on 32 or 64bit but it still needs to be a Pro, Ultimate, Business or Enterprise version. I can't vouch for Win Vista but again as long as it wasn't one of the 'Home' versions it should be fine.

You can edit the .ini file if you move the contents of the VIDA DVD on to your HDD and then run the setup from there. You edit the .ini file to tell the installer that it only needs a smaller amount of RAM.

With the newer additions of .net versions in Windows update (.net 4 and .net 4.5) you need to ensure these are NOT installed. Up to .net 3.5 is fine.

So, the best way to get a working VIDA first time is to conduct the following:

Fresh install of Windows (if using XP (SP3) it needs to be a Pro or Enterprise edition and NOT a Home version. If using Win7 or Win8 then it needs to be a Pro, Ultimate, Business or Enterprise edition. If using 64bit you will also need the newest versions of VIDA. Lastly you only want up to .net 3.5 installed. You can get a .net 3.5 installer for Win8.

HTH,

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 09:10   #58
MrTee

Thank you for quick reply, Would I be able to buy the latest software so I could get that running before splashing out on DICE module ?
Thanks
Mal
MrTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 10:20   #59
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTee View Post
Thank you for quick reply, Would I be able to buy the latest software so I could get that running before splashing out on DICE module ?
Thanks
Mal
You will probably be able to find it on ebay, or if you buy a DiCE most come with the latest VIDA version included.
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 12:40   #60
bandit1200s

What passwords are you guys running on Vida 2013. I have tried admin and the dice wont communicate at all. I have tried"1" and the dice partly talks to vida but still doesnt function correctly. It will pick up the vehicle details in the diagnosis tab but not in the vehicle profile tab

I am running Win 7 3GB Ram 40GB memory
bandit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vida