Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the word on b204gt?

Views : 1228

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2023, 00:20   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default What's the word on b204gt?

I just found a wagon for sale. A 745 with a b204gt engine. I had never even heard of these (maybe briefly read something about the 16v redblock).
I found a great post on turbobricks about the engine, but no personal expericence reports on owning one of these.

I'm kinda salivating for this wagon I have to admit. If the guy would take a straight swap for a VW polo I have I would do it, but I think he wouldn't and I have no need (nor money) to own 2 wagons.

Old Apr 10th, 2023, 22:32   #2
B10B
Bald

The B204FT/GT is a 2 litre 16v turbo engine made mostly for the Italian market and other tax heavy on engine cc European countries.
The FT has cat GT has no cat I believe.
We never got this engine in the UK, no reason to say it's bad I guess, just needs regular care like anything else but likely more involved timing belt or head gasket replacement for sure.
A good base for tuning as they are said to have about 190-200hp standard, compared to a B200FT with an 8v head making 155ish.
B10B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B10B For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 23:09   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B10B View Post
The B204FT/GT is a 2 litre 16v turbo engine made mostly for the Italian market and other tax heavy on engine cc European countries.
The FT has cat GT has no cat I believe.
We never got this engine in the UK, no reason to say it's bad I guess, just needs regular care like anything else but likely more involved timing belt or head gasket replacement for sure.
A good base for tuning as they are said to have about 190-200hp standard, compared to a B200FT with an 8v head making 155ish.
One thing I can't understand is whether or not they are non-interference engines. Because they are considered redblocks but they are 16v. So I don't understand that and couldn't find info confirming or denying.
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 23:13   #4
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
One thing I can't understand is whether or not they are non-interference engines. Because they are considered redblocks but they are 16v. So I don't understand that and couldn't find info confirming or denying.
They are interference engines

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Eng...ferenceEngines
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 23:40   #5
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Thanks. That clarifies my question.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has one of these engines, considering they weren't sold in the uk. Maybe some import.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 07:04   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I sold some parts to someone with a B204FT and asked him about them, this was his reply.

They are interference as you said, the oil pump has it's own pulley driven by the timing belt, the pulley is really crappy and needs to be replaced with an updated, but still crappy version and a harder bolt. Otherwise the pulley and/or bolt shear and destroy the engine.
They also have some kind of harmonic balancing device, two shafts on both sides of the block, with their own belt, driven by the crankshaft. They are supposed to dampen vibrations for some stupid small range like... 4000 to 4500 rpm. This belt also snaps and gets into the timing belt of course. So I, and many others just cut it off without much noticeable difference. Of course the (heavy!) balancers are still there, and leaking oil.
And lastly, the block, like the actual cylinder walls are a bit "softer" and wear out faster than any other redblock. Not terrible, but not what you expect from redblocks. Oh and they also have a horrible system where the oil/water exchanger is INSIDE the engine mount.
I'd like to know what they were smoking in Volvo when they did some of these changes, but I have a spare head and plan on putting it on a regular b200ft block to make a durable engine before mine blows. Thank god I got mine from an old man, so the car still has only 120k km.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 09:18   #7
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I sold some parts to someone with a B204FT and asked him about them, this was his reply.

They are interference as you said, the oil pump has it's own pulley driven by the timing belt, the pulley is really crappy and needs to be replaced with an updated, but still crappy version and a harder bolt. Otherwise the pulley and/or bolt shear and destroy the engine.
They also have some kind of harmonic balancing device, two shafts on both sides of the block, with their own belt, driven by the crankshaft. They are supposed to dampen vibrations for some stupid small range like... 4000 to 4500 rpm. This belt also snaps and gets into the timing belt of course. So I, and many others just cut it off without much noticeable difference. Of course the (heavy!) balancers are still there, and leaking oil.
And lastly, the block, like the actual cylinder walls are a bit "softer" and wear out faster than any other redblock. Not terrible, but not what you expect from redblocks. Oh and they also have a horrible system where the oil/water exchanger is INSIDE the engine mount.
I'd like to know what they were smoking in Volvo when they did some of these changes, but I have a spare head and plan on putting it on a regular b200ft block to make a durable engine before mine blows. Thank god I got mine from an old man, so the car still has only 120k km.
Oh lee crap! That's all I need to know.
Pretty much looks like volvo just improvised something to satisfy a market need. I'm gonna stay away, especially since this particular one has 390k km.

thanks
salvador
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 15:07   #8
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I don't know why they didn't just install a higher capacity pump in the block, and a dmf instead of the balancer shafts. Much cheaper than minting a new block.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 16:42   #9
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
I don't know why they didn't just install a higher capacity pump in the block, and a dmf instead of the balancer shafts. Much cheaper than minting a new block.
I'm sure they had their reasons but to me your suggestion is exactly what I thought!

I know Saab used balance shafts on their 16v engines so maybe it was the engineering solution of the time in a "large capacity" 4 banger 16V.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 18:54   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The gear is easy enough to fix https://www.classicswede.org/shop/b2...=60a19cd634c45

And the balance shafts are best removed and blanked off https://www.classicswede.org/shop/b2...=60a19cd634c45

The oil pump is a high capacity pump and driven directly off the cam belt and is a much more modern system. The down side is no new replacement parts available.

As to the blocks being softer I do not think that is true. I have seen B230turbos with worn out bores by 150k and others still ok at 250k, just the same for the B204 engines from what I have seen (not first hand on the B204)

The valves in the B204 head are smaller than the B234 and a B234 head can not be used on a B200/B21 bottom end
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: