Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non starting car

Views : 4184

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2023, 18:30   #21
GingerMagic

Sorry, you must have replied whilst I was typing.
I'll check the starter wires tomorrow, I can see the thin wire but the other wire is much thicker with a rubber sheath - access to this wire is harder but better in daylight I should imagine.
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 18:36   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
Thanks Dave

No noise, not even a click from the starter - which pointed me towards the immobiliser at first but then started to look elsewhere.

Thing is, my also 100% reliable 406 has suddenly lost all its brake fluid, which makes the daily commute more interesting, which is why I wanted to use the Volvo.

So I have a car that won't start and a car that won't stop..!
And to top it off my dishwasher door catch broke today - they do say things happen in 3's
Last bit first, it's easiest! Have a look at this site, find your dishwasher model number etc (also serial number as some have the same model number but changed parts at certain serial numbers) and you should also find a useful video on replacing the latch on the dishwasher :

https://www.espares.co.uk/

If you have a pair of Kevlar gloves, wear them while doing it, the edges of the stainless internals on domestic appliances are like razor blades!

Peugeots do that for fun though! Could be anything, burst flexi hose, seal on the calipers, master cylinder, only way to be sure is to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb and find the problem.

Have you got a spare fob and key for your Volvo? if so, try those before you chase anything further. It's not unknown for one set of fob and key to suddenly become unrecognised by the alarm/immobiliser, especially if the car hasn't been used for a while.
Strangely if the other set works, the normal set returns to working in many cases.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 18:39   #23
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Last bit first, it's easiest! Have a look at this site, find your dishwasher model number etc (also serial number as some have the same model number but changed parts at certain serial numbers) and you should also find a useful video on replacing the latch on the dishwasher :

https://www.espares.co.uk/

If you have a pair of Kevlar gloves, wear them while doing it, the edges of the stainless internals on domestic appliances are like razor blades!

Peugeots do that for fun though! Could be anything, burst flexi hose, seal on the calipers, master cylinder, only way to be sure is to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb and find the problem.

Have you got a spare fob and key for your Volvo? if so, try those before you chase anything further. It's not unknown for one set of fob and key to suddenly become unrecognised by the alarm/immobiliser, especially if the car hasn't been used for a while.
Strangely if the other set works, the normal set returns to working in many cases.
If the fob has never worked it wont be that. I assume you are just locking and unlocking the car with the key ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 18:46   #24
GingerMagic

Thank you

Dave, I'll check the brake lines at the weekend as it's dark when I get home.

My mechanic mate has my Volvo spare key so I'll get that back and try it

As for the dishwasher catch I think it's just the spring fallen off down inside the door.

I've always just used the key in the door to lock and unlock the car.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 19:57   #25
GingerMagic

Managed to dig the spring out from the bottom of the dishwasher door only to find the spring has broken....

New catch is on order.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 20:51   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Managed to dig the spring out from the bottom of the dishwasher door only to find the spring has broken....

New catch is on order.
I didn't want to predict that but that's the most common failure. Is it a Hotpoint/Indesit/Candy/Ariston or similar by any chance?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 21:01   #27
GingerMagic

Yes, it seems they all use the same catch - however it's been trouble free for 12 years and it's used most days - I can't complain at a £10 fix
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 21:15   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, it seems they all use the same catch - however it's been trouble free for 12 years and it's used most days - I can't complain at a £10 fix
Mine did the same a few months back, thought it was just a detached spring but found the lever it connects to had broken too - easier to renew the whole assembly especially as when i recovered the spring from the door, found that also was broken!

Presumably when it broke, it took the lever with it. Had mine ~9 years and was used when i got it so i certainly can't complain!
As it's only me here, mine usually only goes on once/twice a week but if i have friends round for dinner then it can be nearly every day.

Old Feb 1st, 2023, 11:12   #29
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Bypass to starter motor

Quote:
Are you able to see the cable end of the starter motor easily? If so, check the "exciter" wire, usually white with a red trace. If it's on its terminal securely, see if you can remove it and run a wire to that terminal, tap the other end of the wire (make sure it's a reasonably heavy wire) on the battery +ve terminal and the starter should operate.
I cannot check under the bonnet right now, but there should be a blue-green wire running from a bulkhead connector (left wheelarch) to the starter motor. If you apply 12V directly to this wire, the relay on the starter motor should engage and the starter motor will crank. This bypasses the immobilizer and selector lever switch.
If the starter motor cranks this way, the problem is probably in the Guard alarm, PNP switch on the auto gear selector or ignition key barrel.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 14:33   #30
TonyS9
Premier Member

If its the alarm immobiliser on the Starter, there should be no voltage drop atall, and also no click. Normally dash lights dim when the battery is knackered, you get a click and a bit of a whir from the engine.

The fact the dash lights are dropping out trying to drive the starter solenoid indicates an electrical problem (potentially a bad earth, but also any bad connection atall). Maybe the back lights are on the same faulty circuit as the starter, but the warning lights on another circuit.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: