Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Out of interest

Views : 938

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2022, 09:52   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default Out of interest

While I realise a 27yr old Volvo is not their usual fare I put the reg. number of my 960 saloon[135,000 miles] into WBAC site to see what they'd come back with.I,m not particularly looking to sell it[but of course everything apart from my dog is for sale if someone comes up with a high enough number to tempt me]it was just curiosity anyway WBAC came back almost instantly with a valuation-without having seen the car obviously-of.......£150
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 10:33   #2
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Thats all its worth to them as the really cheap cars just get punted to auctions so they have to offer very little to make it worth their while. Their business is built round people trading in half decent cars with them rather than the dealer who they are buying their next car with.

As an aside I sold a car to WBAC recently and they were very fair when I got to them, would recommend. I was chatting to their staff and they said they have a target amount of vehicles they have to buy each period - I think they said 50%. So they said they always try to keep to the online valuation as they know the customer will probably sell it to them if they do - but a lot of cars come way more worn out/damaged etc than the customers declare which doesn't help.

Seemed a decent run company and I would use again - but to get most money I would probably sell privately if it was worth it but I know a lot of people don't want the hassle of doing that.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 13:20   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
Thats all its worth to them as the really cheap cars just get punted to auctions so they have to offer very little to make it worth their while. Their business is built round people trading in half decent cars with them rather than the dealer who they are buying their next car with.

As an aside I sold a car to WBAC recently and they were very fair when I got to them, would recommend. I was chatting to their staff and they said they have a target amount of vehicles they have to buy each period - I think they said 50%. So they said they always try to keep to the online valuation as they know the customer will probably sell it to them if they do - but a lot of cars come way more worn out/damaged etc than the customers declare which doesn't help.

Seemed a decent run company and I would use again - but to get most money I would probably sell privately if it was worth it but I know a lot of people don't want the hassle of doing that.
"we buy any car" is owned by "British Car Auctions" they sell the best of the pick via "Cinch" which they also own , the mediocre stuff they sell at their auctions .
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 10:18   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
"we buy any car" is owned by "British Car Auctions" they sell the best of the pick via "Cinch" which they also own , the mediocre stuff they sell at their auctions .
A little extra info from an ex-employee of WBAC that i know is they aren't good to work for.

Basically WBAC are just "behind the scenes" car dealers.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 11:34   #5
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
While I realise a 27yr old Volvo is not their usual fare I put the reg. number of my 960 saloon[135,000 miles] into WBAC site to see what they'd come back with.I,m not particularly looking to sell it[but of course everything apart from my dog is for sale if someone comes up with a high enough number to tempt me]it was just curiosity anyway WBAC came back almost instantly with a valuation-without having seen the car obviously-of.......£150
A 27 year old Volvo isn't worth anything to them, and would probably cause them more headaches. They want standard run of the mill cars that can be sold on quickly either via the trade or retailed out to Cinch.

I have sold cars with them before and its a painless process. People only get annoyed because they fail to mention the scratches, dents, missing history and wonder why they get chipped down on the price.

If you want to get rid of a car, avoid the usual tyre kickers then its a good platform to use. There are a few other companies doing the same as WBAC as well.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 12:01   #6
Bunny55

When I sold my car to WBAC, I had a friendly chat with the guy.

Asked him what the cheapest car he had bought - loads at £40.

Most expensive - £78,000.

Also said that cars not good enough for Cinch or auction, get shipped to Africa in containers.
Bunny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bunny55 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 21:20   #7
Forrest
VOC Member

I wonder who sells their car for £40. I’d have thought you’d make more than that just weighing it in.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 21:30   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I wonder who sells their car for £40. I’d have thought you’d make more than that just weighing it in.
I sold a Fiat Panda at auction once for £40 - barely covered the new MoT i'd put on it!

Also sold a Vauxhall Carlton for £40 twenty minutes after buying it for £20 but both of those were a long time ago.

At the time, scrapping them would have cost me money, even if i'd driven into the scrappy!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 21:55   #9
GingerMagic

Ah, the good old days.....

I remember buying a Rover 620 with no tax or MOT off a guy at work for £30 - I then drove it to the scrapyard 100 yards down the road and got £90 for it...

Pre ANPR I used to buy cars from the auctions for as little as £10 and just drove them as a daily until they broke down - then just blag a lift home and buy another car from the auctions later that week.
Bargain motoring back then
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 22:07   #10
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I sold a Fiat Panda at auction once for £40 - barely covered the new MoT i'd put on it!

Also sold a Vauxhall Carlton for £40 twenty minutes after buying it for £20 but both of those were a long time ago.

At the time, scrapping them would have cost me money, even if i'd driven into the scrappy!
Scrap metal prices have been so low in recent times you're lucky to get them to pick up some cars for free.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post: