Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 644636

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:16   #511
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Today was a very sunny spring day, when I took GAM out to test the track extenders I noticed the heater seemed to be not only very efficient, but also produced heat whichever position I set the temperature control to. I suspect something needs some attention, but before I start looking for faults may I ask what may appear to be a silly question (but I can't find the answer in the books)? Which way does the temperature control operate:

... is it up or down for hot?

:-)

Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Down pulls the valve heater open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
There is a plastic overlay that clips in behind the lever. Get from Brookhouse next time you have an order. Not expensive. Down for hotter. Full volume is down. Air to floor. Defr to screen. All logical.
Many thanks chaps. This little thing arrived in the mail today and took just a few minutes to fit:

... thus is a really nice enhancement for only £6 (delivered).

Last edited by Othen; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 11:54.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:27   #512
Moomoo
VOC Member

Nice touch!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:44   #513
Derek UK
VOC Member

You might have polished up the chrome before putting it on. Not OCD.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 12:06   #514
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Out of interest Alan, have you verified the accuracy of the speedo? Many stand-alone sat-nags have a built-in speedo function or you can download a GPS speedo app for your smartphone.
The reason i'm querying it is because many speedos would over-read by ~10% from new with the correct drive gears/back axle etc. As the incorrect drive pinion in the gearbox appears to be fitted which is 11% slow, it's possible that by sheer fluke the speedo is extremely accurate and with it, the odometer. Might be worth a check just to find out exactly where you are with things?

Of course that would reduce the economy to ~18mpg but it would be a correct figure.
This was a really good idea Dave. I downloaded a really simple, free GPS speedometer app to my iPhone (Speedometer by Tim O's Studios) this morn and have just compared it with GAM's speedometer reading. 45PMH on the motor car is 50MPH on the GPS - so 10% slow. I can live with that.

Old Mar 27th, 2022, 12:41   #515
Derek UK
VOC Member

The pointy end of the speed indicator is the "true" reading, not halfway across the slant. That's how it has always worked for me.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 12:50   #516
Othen
Premier Member

Default Little Oil Leak

I have tracked down a little oil leak on GAM: it is the gearbox - a M41 + type D overdrive unit (from a P1800 I think). It is very slow and ends up at the speedometer drive (although that may just be the lowest point of the gearbox. I jacked up the motor car yesterday and made sure the gearbox was full - but I couldn't find a fill plug for the O/D unit (unfortunately I don't have a green book for the that item), would I be right in thinking the M41 and type D O/D share the same oil?

I'm just monitoring the leak at the moment - it is very slow indeed (a few drops overnight) so it probably isn't worth trying to fix until I have some other reason to remove the transmission.

It seems that leaky overdrive units are often mentioned in the context of P120 and P1800 motor cars, so this would seem to be a common issue.

Alan
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 12:53   #517
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The pointy end of the speed indicator is the "true" reading, not halfway across the slant. That's how it has always worked for me.
Thank you for that - I was wondering which bit was supposed to be the pointer. By chance I used the point as my datum.

The reason the speedometer reads a bit slow is that the motor car has a M41 gearbox and Type D O/D, for which the speedometer drive is wrongly geared for the Amazon rear axle. I may fix it in the fullness of time, but in the meantime I'm happy to know the speedometer's accuracy.

Alan

PS. I found this post by a 'Derek UK' on what appears to be a US forum (Brickboard) in 2009 with a good summary of the O/D gearing issue (in italics):

Thanks Erik. Seems a simple subject but the facts are shrouded by an oily mist. I'll have to make a chart!

M40/4.10 in B18 120/130 16 teeth/yellow pt#380164
M40/4.56 in B18 220 17 teeth/Green? pt#380166
M41/D OD/4.56 in B18 Amazon 18 teeth/Blue? pt#380168
M41/D OD/4.56 in B18 1800 18 teeth(fine)/Black pt# ?

D type gears have thick shaft with spiral groove
J type gears have thin plain shaft.

If you or anyone can confirm the queried colours and part# that would be appreciated. I've seen a white gear mentioned but that may be either a faded yellow or a modern replacement.

If you know the speedo error when using the M41/D OD with a 4.10 axle, it should be possible to back calculate what size tyres you need to match it to true road speed and that size may be usable. Hopefully done before you've bought those expensive Michelins.

... what goes around comes around :-)

PPS. This was a later post from the same Brickboard thread - by 122 and 940 and too many (in italics):

Realistically unless you get the speedo recalibrated it'll be out a bit, to further confuse matters there are from memory 3 different part numbers for the speedo to throw into the mix.

However the speedo is is so inaccurate; just where do you read it, at the point or in the middle? I've always just figured out how far it is out and done the mental arithmatic.

Of course you can get all the right bits together, but it is kind of pointless. After all most of us add an overdrive to end up with slightly longer legs for modern traffic, and the one thing Volvo never built as far as I'm aware is a 120 with overdrive and a 4.1:1 axle, cars that left the factory so equipped were all fitted with the 4.56:1 diff.

To be honest I don't find it is a significant issue, I certainly wouldn't alter the rear tyre size to compensate.

... it would seem the best advice is just to be aware of the issue and do a little mental arithmetic :-)

Last edited by Othen; Mar 27th, 2022 at 13:42.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 13:13   #518
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
This was a really good idea Dave. I downloaded a really simple, free GPS speedometer app to my iPhone (Speedometer by Tim O's Studios) this morn and have just compared it with GAM's speedometer reading. 45PMH on the motor car is 50MPH on the GPS - so 10% slow. I can live with that.

I'd suggest a read of this Alan, about halfway down is a bit headed "The law for car speedometers in the UK" which might be useful.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-a...20than%2040mph.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 13:18   #519
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd suggest a read of this Alan, about halfway down is a bit headed "The law for car speedometers in the UK" which might be useful.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-a...20than%2040mph.
I know all that of course Dave, but thank you anyway.

I have a very accurate GPS speedometer on my cell phone (as of this morn) :-)

Last edited by Othen; Mar 27th, 2022 at 13:27.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 14:20   #520
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I know all that of course Dave, but thank you anyway.

I have a very accurate GPS speedometer on my cell phone (as of this morn) :-)

I would say the reading on the phone in the picture is 100% accurate.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: