Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1988 760 turbo intercooler manual 100k

Views : 7187

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2013, 18:02   #21
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question way to sell anything

you know what an estate angency owner told me and i have allways found it to be true.

want to sell a 100k house advertise it at 500k and you will never sell it advertise it at 50k and it will sell tonight, otherwise when you advertise it and it does not sell, keep reduceing the asking price by 10% untill you find a buyer and it will sell.

same rule applys to cars, only if the asking price gets to £100 you may as well give it away. good luck with the sale.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 13:14   #22
lixah
Master Member

OK update : because I was 10 min late to my MOT appointment they said they couldn't do it. So rebooked for today. And can I say a huge thanks to wart for telling me how to open the steering wheel. For anyone wondering you just pull from the top and it pops off, no airbag. And guess what, horn completely unplugged. So that's now all sorted, bring on the MOT!

-Matt
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 13:28   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you got your horn sorted!

On another note, i'd be finding a different MoT station and never go near the one that refused me because i was 10 minutes late! It's the law that you can in fact drive into an MoT station and demand an MoT test on the spot - they won't like it but they have to do it. Not sure if there are any "finer points" like they can make you wait an hour or 3 or indeed if there are any "finer points" but there must be more than one MoT station near you? I've almost always had to wait for the test, even when booked in - the record so far is 48 minutes so they should exercise some give and take!

Good luck for todays test, if it's booked with the same mob, expect at least one fail point though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 14:54   #24
lixah
Master Member

ok then, failed on 2 points.

rear box has a huge hole in it, and n/s rear shock absorber is leaking

I have a 940 which i could part out, would those parts be interchangeable?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 15:10   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's not too bad as it goes. Rear shock almost certainly a straight swap but without knowing the years/specs impossible to be 100% certain. Best advised to change shocks as an axle pair as they wear at different rates when one is new and the other is old and give different damping on each side which is a bit on the dangerous side! Also chances are if one is leaking, the other won't be far behind!

Same goes for the back box - a few more options here though! First is dog food tins and jubilee clips to bandage the hole in the existing silencer. Second is i have a serviceable back box with over axle pipe from a 1989 740 estate that you could have for the cost of postage but you'd need to swap your mounting bracket from your current silencer (easy, just unbolts) or third, you could go to someone like Sutton Auto Factors and buy a VO175X and 2x VO176W and any other bits you might need.
You could use a single tail-pipe rear silencer which basically is non-turbo spec but you'd need the over-axle pipe to suit. I've just fitted a turbo back box (twin tail-pipe) and over-axle pipe to my 740 n/asp, hence knowing about it!
Fourth, you might be able to use the over-axle pipe and back box from your 940 or lastly, you might be able to get it welded. Either way i reckon for well under £100 you'll have a years test on it!

Out of interest, did you watch the test and if so did they use any tools to "assess" the corrosion in the back box?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 23rd, 2013, 15:15   #26
lixah
Master Member

thanks for your reply. yes i watched the whole test, whenever he found something he pulled me over to show me, i like it. tell you the truth i dont think he used anything to asses the exhaust, there is a hole about 5x1 inches in it, he also said the middle exhaust box has a small hole in it, but its just an advisory.

Just got a quote for £30 for a new shock absorber, i assume this is for just 1, but i dont know common practice, do they sell x2 tougher, could this be a price for 2? (im hoping :P)

but as for the exhaust no where seems to stock them, havent even been able to get prices.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 15:20   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'd guess that's just one shock absorber, if you're selling it you'd probably get away with just the one.

If you click the link to Sutton Auto Factors, it seems they have them in stock - i just created a shopping cart doing that and it didn't say the bits were out of stock like it has before when they haven't had what i need. With the tail pipe trims (you need them as the tailpipes are short) and delivery, it comes to about £75.98.

At least the teseter himself seemed to have a reaonable attitude unlike the person who turned you away!

Old May 23rd, 2013, 15:30   #28
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's not too bad as it goes. Rear shock almost certainly a straight swap but without knowing the years/specs impossible to be 100% certain. Best advised to change shocks as an axle pair as they wear at different rates when one is new and the other is old and give different damping on each side which is a bit on the dangerous side! Also chances are if one is leaking, the other won't be far behind!

Same goes for the back box - a few more options here though! First is dog food tins and jubilee clips to bandage the hole in the existing silencer. Second is i have a serviceable back box with over axle pipe from a 1989 740 estate that you could have for the cost of postage but you'd need to swap your mounting bracket from your current silencer (easy, just unbolts) or third, you could go to someone like Sutton Auto Factors and buy a VO175X and 2x VO176W and any other bits you might need.
You could use a single tail-pipe rear silencer which basically is non-turbo spec but you'd need the over-axle pipe to suit. I've just fitted a turbo back box (twin tail-pipe) and over-axle pipe to my 740 n/asp, hence knowing about it!
Fourth, you might be able to use the over-axle pipe and back box from your 940 or lastly, you might be able to get it welded. Either way i reckon for well under £100 you'll have a years test on it!

Out of interest, did you watch the test and if so did they use any tools to "assess" the corrosion in the back box?
I think this is my exact exhaust

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/details/.../exhaust-part/
Old May 23rd, 2013, 15:34   #29
lixah
Master Member

There seems to be 2 different rear shocks for my car

"Gas-A-Just Shock Absorber" and "Excel-G Shock Absorber"

which do i need?

Also with this site, where are they located? would i be able to pickup parts rather than wait for delivery?

-matt
Old May 23rd, 2013, 15:37   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That back box is a fair bit cheaper! Like half! Would probably pay to get the tailpipe with it too as they get a fair bit of road muck thrown up and rust onto the back box and are nigh impossible to shift. Even so, with the tailpipe and bracket (metalwork they call it) it comes to about £39 + P&P so £45 ish. If they have it in stock you could probably be back for the retest tomorrow or saturday!