Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2013 High Mileage XC60

Views : 1717

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2022, 04:57   #1
AP90

Default 2013 High Mileage XC60

Hi Gents

I have a 2013 XC60 D4AWD

I've had it since about 19K miles

It has about 145K miles on it. I service it about every 4K these days. I have changed all belts/Aux and Cam, serviced the Haldex, all brakes discs and pads. Transmission Oil and generally look after it

I am contemplating the shock absorbers, it runs very well and uses hardly any oil.

Can you all suggest anything else I need to focus on to keep the leggy old girl reliable?

It hasn't been to the main dealer for about 3 years now, prior to that all main dealer service stamps

I can't afford a newer model and I actually like some of the older features this car has (DVD player etc)

Many thanks
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 11:02   #2
JGEM

Default Shock absorbers

My 2009 is similar mileage to yours. If you do the shock absorbers (which undoubtedly will need doing based on age / mileage if original) then make sure you do the full job on the front end especially: new struts, spring seats, dust boots, top bearings and bottom control arms and assorted new bolts. I did most of the job then had to do it all again about a year later to replace the control arms and spring seats which I had neglected to replace...

A friend of my who has done huge amounts of work on all sorts of cars has a theory (based on vast experience) that 15 years of age is often a critical age in the life of a motor vehicle. Expensive hard to repair things break or need refurbishing due to age / mileage. It can often be things that are not quick fixes and are hard to justify given the value of the vehicle versus repair cost.

The oldest XC60s date from 2008 and they reach age 15 year age next year (2023).

The market value of my car now given age /mileage / condition is around NZ$8000. If I get say an auto transmission or engine failure, even if I replaced with 2nd hand parts and got it done at a non Volvo garage it is probably still a multi thousand dollar repair, most likely more than 50% of the value of the car. I just keep driving it and maintaining in the hope that I can milk a few more years out of it and spend the money saved on other activities. (A European holiday in August 2023 for example!)

The one thing forums like this always tell me is that vehicles are a bit like people and there is a lot of unavoidable random variation and often just plain bad luck. Some people do all the right stuff as regards maintaining their health but die of cancer etc early. Likewise folks can lavish time and attention on a vehicle and be beset by "bad luck" type problems.

I try to take prudent and sensible actions (e.g regular changing of oil and filters and replacing any known worn out parts that affect reliability / handling) but not letting known imperfections affect my enjoyment of the usage of the vehicle. Getting the use out of the vehicle and seeing that odometer clock up another 10,000 gives me satisfaction !
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JGEM For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 12:46   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I have a 2015 car of similar mileage which I have had about 3 years and I've recently decided to keep it another two years which will take it to circa 180k miles.

When I bought it 3 years ago I paid ~£13k and it was a 4 year old XC60 with 98k on it. Now, to get a 4 year old XC60 with 98k, I'd have to find £23k at least.

....and I prefer the more "analogue" driving experience with CD player and buttons (no touch screen) for radio stations. Plus the voice control works the best of any car I've tried.

So I'm going to get a few rust spots sorted, and keep it, as long as it remains reliable.

In terms of keeping it reliable - sounds like you're doing all that.... keep to the service schedule, deal with any MOT advisories etc.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 4th, 2022 at 12:51.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 21:16   #4
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I have a 2015 car of similar mileage which I have had about 3 years and I've recently decided to keep it another two years which will take it to circa 180k miles.

When I bought it 3 years ago I paid ~£13k and it was a 4 year old XC60 with 98k on it. Now, to get a 4 year old XC60 with 98k, I'd have to find £23k at least.

....and I prefer the more "analogue" driving experience with CD player and buttons (no touch screen) for radio stations. Plus the voice control works the best of any car I've tried.

So I'm going to get a few rust spots sorted, and keep it, as long as it remains reliable.

In terms of keeping it reliable - sounds like you're doing all that.... keep to the service schedule, deal with any MOT advisories etc.
Is the rust on the wheel arches where the poorly designed plastic inner trim abrades the return lip rubbing the paint down to bare metal and allowing rust to start? Usually at 10 o'clock offside front and 2 o'clock nearside front.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 12:05   #5
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEM View Post

A friend of my who has done huge amounts of work on all sorts of cars has a theory (based on vast experience) that 15 years of age is often a critical age in the life of a motor vehicle. Expensive hard to repair things break or need refurbishing due to age / mileage. It can often be things that are not quick fixes and are hard to justify given the value of the vehicle versus repair cost.

!
I would agree with that. You also need to think about manufacturers rolling back on producing or stocking certain parts which will be slow movers as the vehicle parc for a model starts to shrink. This often means parts are on long lead times or very expensive for oem, or you have to wait a few more years for parts to be viable on the aftermarket.

I've had this experience with Audi, Subaru and Volvo at or around 15 years.

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Oct 5th, 2022 at 12:09.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 12:19   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Is the rust on the wheel arches where the poorly designed plastic inner trim abrades the return lip rubbing the paint down to bare metal and allowing rust to start? Usually at 10 o'clock offside front and 2 o'clock nearside front.
Yes I have that on the drivers side, but also three quite severe areas of corrosion on the leading edge of the roof where it meets the screen - which I've never seen before on a XC60. I suspect it's had a replacement screen in early life and the paint damaged during the process.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 13:00   #7
Stone Free
VOC Member

I purchased my XC60 D4 SE Lux Nav back in January 2018 with 103k on the clock & was a proud owner up until February 2022 when I p/x'd having covered a further 45k miles. So same mileage as yourself.
So many great points about this motor, but made the decision to change as the costs of keeping it on the road were starting to spiral.

Over the period of ownership the following faults occurred:

EGR & Vacuum Valve.
Faulty Relay (Diode), motor was off the road for 12 days until the dealership managed to find the fault.
Front Passenger Seat Sensor.
Replacement of Tailgate Struts.
Replacement of Injector No1.
Front Nearside & Offside Springs broken & Replaced.
Fan Speed Control Power Unit & Alternator Belt.

Obviously general servicing, tyres, cam belts & discs & pads were at an additional cost to the above.

I would certainly consider another pre-owned XC60, but with a lower mileage next time.

Trust the above is of some assistance.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 15:29   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

In 3 years and 50k I've had to replace a rear spring and the drivers seat heating pad. That's it other than service items.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 17:39   #9
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Yes I have that on the drivers side, but also three quite severe areas of corrosion on the leading edge of the roof where it meets the screen - which I've never seen before on a XC60. I suspect it's had a replacement screen in early life and the paint damaged during the process.
Leading edge of roof is very good at catching stone chips - seen quite a few small rust dots there on XC60s.

The wheelarch rust however is clearly a design fault and Volvo should rectify it under paintwork warranty imo. See link below some have had new wings under the 12yr corrosion warranty for the 10 o'clock/2 o'clock rust problem...

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/2...0-rust.593049/
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 12:12   #10
Ross1990

Quote:
In 3 years and 50k I've had to replace a rear spring and the drivers seat heating pad. That's it other than service items.
My 2015 XC60 drivers seat heating has just given up it seems. It probably doesn’t help that my 3 year old climbs all over it!
Did you source the heating pad direct from Volvo?
Ross1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross1990 For This Useful Post: