Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

warning about the police

Views : 3513

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 21:25   #21
Tony B

Thank you, Ross

I don't fancy joining a motorway at less than 10mph, however I won't be crossing any white lines in the future.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:18   #22
Ross9
Master Member

Indeed, a 10mph joining would be very concerning lol. The speeds that some people join the motorway at is shocking and numerous times I've been glad of having a quick car to allow me to join behind them and get into the middle lane and up to speed very quickly before the approaching traffic already doing 70-80mph catches up and has to avoid the slow moving merging vehicles.

One of those cases where the ditherer joining the motorway at 45mph isn;t involved in the accident, but causes it in their wake and still considers themselves the safest thing on the road becuase they've never actually had a bump.

Ross
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:21   #23
REAL ALE DRINKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross9
Indeed, a 10mph joining would be very concerning lol. The speeds that some people join the motorway at is shocking and numerous times I've been glad of having a quick car to allow me to join behind them and get into the middle lane and up to speed very quickly before the approaching traffic already doing 70-80mph catches up and has to avoid the slow moving merging vehicles.

One of those cases where the ditherer joining the motorway at 45mph isn;t involved in the accident, but causes it in their wake and still considers themselves the safest thing on the road becuase they've never actually had a bump.

Ross

I don"t want to pick holes but why head for the middle lane?,its for overtaking only.:
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:37   #24
222s
Amazoniste

Which is what he is using it for - to overtake the car ahead doing 45mph that joined the motorway at the same time as him

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:53   #25
ChrisGrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL ALE DRINKER
I don"t want to pick holes but why head for the middle lane?,its for overtaking only.:
Carefull we're very big in this Forum about NOT sitting in the middle lane !
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 19:58   #26
Ross9
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s
Which is what he is using it for - to overtake the car ahead doing 45mph that joined the motorway at the same time as him
Exactly right, and then I would return to the inside lane until something else presented itself for overtaking, the majority of the time my lane discipline is very good even if I do say so myself, there will have been occasions where I haven't returned to the left no doubt, but I've never sat holding someone up when there has been a free lane to my left as I don't appreciate it if someone holds me up by being in an outer lane unnecesarily.

Some people are just really picky though and would have you hung for using an outer lane just to make progress even if you weren't holding anyone up but lets not get into that debate again, the sad ones that are that picky are the ones with time to debate it over and over so will always get the last word anyway

Ross
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 18:09   #27
LankyTim
Missing the point

I dont hog the middle or outer lane, but worse thing in the world is to be in the slow lane and get "boxed in" by people not letting you pull out.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:22   #28
mongman

agreed! i hate it when that happens. the worst is when you are overtaking in the right hand lane and some speeding pillock flies up you a#* and flashes his lights to get you to move. i had a bentley do that to me while i overtook two lorries in the lefthand lanes on the m1. i just slowed down to pass them slowly. i hate idiots who do that. pure road rage!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:47   #29
perussell

yeah, almost as bad as the idiots who slow down on purpose in such situations which just further inflames the person behind making an already dangerous situation even worse.
I don't in any way condone the person who tailgates - and I don't have a hang up about what car they drive - but seems to me anybody who then purposely slows further is equally culpable!
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 13:51   #30
mongman

ahh, good point. however imagine these scenarios:
1. driver a overtakes a lorry on the dual carriageway doing 70mph. driver b tailgates wanting a to move faster. driver a has to stop suddenly. driver b piles into the back of a and both get splattered by the lorry.
2 same situation, but driver a slows to 65, still faster than the lorry. has to stop suddenly. b hits a. a has more reaction time. a can swing towards central reservation. both cars are written off, but no one is involved. no pile up on or lorry road kill.

which is better? or maybe b will keep of a's a*& when all the b's in the world have hit enough a's for the police to intervene? tailgating is always against the law, and dangerous. i'd rather slow down and reduce the risk of a serious bang, then speed and risk getting killed.
nothing is more important than life.