Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBD readers..........

Views : 1444

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 15:19   #1
gnhuk
Balding.............

Default OBD readers..........

Not sure where to ask this so I'll start here. I've bought an ODB interface so I can read the codes, this has partial compatability with the EODB compliant ECU in my car and I can read codes (there are none at present) and monitor assorted sensors. Being able to read the sensors is great but for one small problem: I'm seeing numbers but how the hell do I know if these are correct? For instance the O2 Sensor 1 and Short Term Fuel trim are jumping about - are these expected to do this?

Raw data is useless without having something to measure it against so the question has to be is there somewhere I can find a list of what the ranges for acceptable values? Or does someone have a list?

The engine is a B4184S2 by the way...

Thanks
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 16:18   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default obd2 lists

there are lists on the voc site and if you google for obd11 you will find everything you could wish for
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 16:29   #3
gnhuk
Balding.............

I must have been doing a search for ODB2 instead of ODBII............. Will do a search again.
2012 S40D3 R-Design
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 21:30   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The short term trim should move about quite a bit. This is showing you the lambda correction. The long term trim should be around zero, dont worry about low numbers under 10. The long term is what it says the perminant amout of lambda correction needed.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 21:43   #5
gnhuk
Balding.............

Thanks - I assume that the O2 sensor 1 jumping around is to be expected as well? The long term fuel trim is rock solid as you suggested - though I'll check what the numbers actually are during the week. I'm gradually gaining an understanding of what is happening as I attempt to cure the occasionally awful fuel consumption.

I'm still tempted to replace the ECU temp switch - unless someone can tell me how to test it - as I'm sure it's not working correctly. The temp gauge is working properly after changing the thermostat however.
2012 S40D3 R-Design
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 22:53   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

At idle and under cruise the lambda should scan between 0 and 1 volt. When you are acellerating the lambda should sit somwhere between 0.8 and 0.9.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 18:28   #7
gnhuk
Balding.............

I think at idle the reading is between 0 and 1.25v (ish) - Just dug out the figures which I'd posted in another thread - 0.1v@-0.78% to 1.275v@3.91% - does this range look okay? Is a reading over 1v an indication of a fault?
2012 S40D3 R-Design

Last edited by gnhuk; Feb 19th, 2006 at 18:32.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 20:38   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Provided it is a 0-1 lambda them it is runnig very rich! or the lamdba is not working correctly.
If it is a 0-5volt lambda then thing are lean. What about when driving what readings are you getting.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 20:48   #9
gnhuk
Balding.............

Hi Dai,

If the tail pipe is anything to go by (very black) it is running rich which is what the fuel consumption suggests - though it is better on a decent run. I'm suspicious of the Lambda and the ECU temp switch. I think the Lambda is expensive. Is there any way of testing it?

I have yet to try getting readings while driving it but I've now bought a 12v adapter for the laptop (battery isn't the best) so I'll try to have a look tomorrow, it'll have to be glances because the software doesn't allow me to "capture" data..........
2012 S40D3 R-Design
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 16:28   #10
gnhuk
Balding.............

Default Update....

I changed the ECU coolant temp switch today. The old one had a fair amount of scale on it. Plugged in the laptop and looked at the sensor data - it was immediately obvious that some things had changed. I'm now getting variation on the O2 sensor 2 readings (solid on 1.275v before) and the coolant temp was not making sudden jumps of 4 or 5 degrees. Left the laptop plugged in, as I don't have the ability to record the data, and went for a 10 mile drive and the car felt considerably smoother. The displayed values, within the limitations of how often I was able to check them, looked vaguely reasonable.

Will report back on how the fuel consumption is going.....
2012 S40D3 R-Design