Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wrong fuel

Views : 5223

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 20:46   #1
After-it

Default Wrong fuel

Help needed, my wife has filled our XC90 (D5) with petrol, anybody know how to fix this me thinks it's going to be loads of money!.

Thanks in advance & Merry Christmas

Carl
After-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 21:13   #2
gdphillips
ba baracus...

Smile

i used to do a lot of fuel drains working for the rac and aa most if you have some idea around an engine find the inlet feed for fuel filter and drin from there you best bet it the scap yard for a cheep fuel pump ie early ford xr31 or vauxhall astra must be an exsternal pump.power the pump via 12v supply bat chager best bet drain fuel out into 25lt drums.... fill the new fuel filter with clean fuel.... and try that but be careful most late cars are not easy to do.fly by wire pumps need to be re charged im only saying this as i drained a newish vectra diesel.....drain was easy but unable to restart found out from mate at vauxhall told me had to re start with tec 1.......hope that helps good luck mate beets taking out the tank out
gdphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gdphillips For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 21:39   #3
tingy
VOC Member

did it get turned over or was it just filled into the tank?
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 22:24   #4
After-it

I filled it up and drove it about a mile until it said engine fault. So pulled over and stopped. I hate christmas if i did not have so many other things on my mind it would never of happened was on auto pilot as normally drive the petrol car.
After-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 22:30   #5
gdphillips
ba baracus...

most recovery firms will offer to drain it for you or try asking aa or rac for there local agents thay will be able to help we used to charge 120+vat and new filter and fuel have you got the car home yet ?????????
gdphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gdphillips For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 22:45   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Very tricky especialy as you have to remove the middle row of seats to get access to the two tank units .
another way , but less troublesome is to remove the fuel filter at the back and get a big tray under it , turn the ignition on and the pump will run for about 12 seconds and pump fuel out , best do this outdoors .. you will have to sit there turning the ignition on and off every 12 seconds keep emptying the tray into 25 litre containers , this could take 2 hours with a full tank when you get to about 25% level the flow will stop , the right hand part of the tank will be empty and the left full so screw the filter back on and carry on with the pump process for another 20 mins , this will move the fuel from left to right and take the filter off again and carry on , this should drain it to empty .. add as much diesel as you can with a new filter , you wont have any problem with the front end of the car it will run fine ..

I'd be wary of anyone inexperienced taking the seats out and the two senders , you could end up with gauge problems or fuel pick up problems ... and those seats weigh a huge amount probably 30 kg each and getting them out they could damage the trim .
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 03:46   #7
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Google "AA fuel assist". Costs about £200, they will do the whole job, including disposal of the fuel removed from the vehicle.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 11:47   #8
craig8661
Master Member

also i may be wrong but didnt some one on the forum used there car on bio mother took it and topped it up at garige with petrol but im sure in there thred that by running petrol throu the diesel pump will bugger it will try and find it for you

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craig8661 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 12:22   #9
oman5

You may get away with simply draining and refilling with diesel, it depends how long the engine was kept running on petrol. my dad did this with an astra diesel and it buggered up the engine. apparently the petrol will ruin the surface of the cylinder bores and destroy the piston seal.
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oman5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 16:45   #10
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Drain, refill with diesel, key in start and drive away, happens all the time. The biggest pain is getting draining and getting rid of the fuel, take it down the local recycle place they deal with oils.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselDoNicely For This Useful Post: