Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 640972

Replies : 1361

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 07:05   #1
Othen
Premier Member

Default New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

I've been dabbling in the 200 section with the Royal Barge (a 1980 244) for several years, and have occasionally ventured into this section for maintenance advice on a P1800ES I look after (Delores). Now I have joined the Amazon set - this is my new project.

Yesterday morn the RB and I drove down to Bedford to see his Great Aunt Maud - she is a generation or so older than the RB, being a 1963 122 - B18D motor with a M41 gearbox and D type overdrive (an addition). GAM's owner was a thoroughly decent chap (David - a lapsed member of this forum).

It was love at first sight for the RB and his GAM, so I'm really pleased to say the motor car will be coming home to live with us today.

The motor car (ABD984A) appeared in the press a decade ago:

GAM is very elegant for its years, but has a few issues which make it unsuitable for David to persevere with, but entirely apposite for me (being retired with plenty of time and space for one more project before my dotage). The biggest problem is a hole big enough to get my index finger into in the OS front chassis rail. I'll get the car up on some ramps on Saturday and have a better look. I'm not all that concerned about this because that box section is made of pretty thick steel (I would guess about 2 mm) and doesn't show. I'll cut out the bad stuff and ugly weld some new stuff in the next couple of weeks.

The bottoms of the rear doors are rusted through - the right side worse than the left. The good news in that GAM came with two pristine rear doors (from dry state USA):

... I still have a choice - either fix the existing doors and patch paint (plus sell the pristine ones) or have the pristine pair painted, swap over the furniture and fit them. I see that Brookhouse Volvo sell repair panels for the bottoms of the rear doors for about £100/side, which would fix the problem, but then I'd still have to get some redecorating done, which would cost much the same as having the US doors sprayed. I'll take a view on that issue some time next in the next few weeks.

The windscreen seal leaks a bit on the passenger side where the rubber has perished. I'm thinking I'll probably try a silicone sealant fix from the outside rather than have the screen removed as the chance of breaking it would be high - and that would be a catastrophe.

The paint under the windscreen on the driver's side of the windscreen has blown out a bit - so there may be some rust underneath. I'll wait for better weather and have a better look in the spring - then take a view on what to do.

There is an oil leak - a pet hate of mine. It looks like it may be coming from the gearbox, but I'll have a better look at the weekend. It is all so simple under the motor car that I could probably have the gearbox off in an hour, so even that wouldn't be much of a drama.

There will of course be a myriad of bits and pieces that I discover over the next couple of months. David described the car well and pointed me to the major faults.

The front suspension looks like it could do with taking apart and new bushes, dampers and springs putting in (a set of nearly new springs came with the motor car) - I bought a bearing press recently so that will only be a day or so's work. I watched a very good Wheeler Dealers episode the other day where Ant did exactly that work on a 122 - it looks easy enough.

The rest looks good. The paint is generally good, the rest of the body looks fine, the motor pulls well with no smoking, the gearbox and clutch work fine, the brakes will lock the wheels (either good brakes or rubbish tyres), the electrics work(it has an alternator conversion and halogen headlamps).

Overall I'm feeling smug - GAM is exactly what I was looking for. This may be my last project, I have 18 months until my son finishes his A levels and this is the ideal thing: a runner and rider with a bit of work required to make it nice.

This bit is important: the project aim and scope. I am not (under any circumstances) going to do a full restoration - that would cost £15,000 and take 3 years - and I have no desire to own a show car. I have 18 months and about £1,500 to make a nice driver. It will never be as practical as the RB (which is staying of course) but I think it will be fun and satisfying to make get GAM up to scratch and perhaps make a few subtle improvements.

Any advice on the Aunt Maud project would be gratefully received.

:-)

Alan

PS. I have insured the GAM (One Call with whom I already insure the RB) for only £97 - including breakdown insurance plus a £40 loyalty discount off the RB's renewal premium in February!

PPS. No apologies for plagiarising much of the above from a preview I'd posted in the 200 section previously.

Last edited by Othen; Jan 7th, 2022 at 09:52. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 07:40   #2
simon roberts

Screen out,fix the rusty lips in the corners......new paint ....job done ....simples😜
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simon roberts For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 08:38   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon roberts View Post
Screen out,fix the rusty lips in the corners......new paint ....job done ....simples😜
Super duper, exactly the advice I need. I'm guessing it is easy enough to remove the screen without breaking it?

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to fit a modern rubber seal like the RB has and so banish leaks forever?

Alan
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 09:01   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Well done, Alan. I think a typo may have crept into the thread title - either that, or you have the latest Amazon in existence !

Regards, John.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 09:50   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Well done, Alan. I think a typo may have crept into the thread title - either that, or you have the latest Amazon in existence !

Regards, John.
Eeeek! No matter, we’ll have to live with that for the next 18 months at least.

PS. I worked out how to correct that and feel quite proud of myself in doing so without Dan’s help!

Last edited by Othen; Jan 7th, 2022 at 09:54.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 11:16   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Eeeek! No matter, we’ll have to live with that for the next 18 months at least.

PS. I worked out how to correct that and feel quite proud of myself in doing so without Dan’s help!
Well done again!

There is a book which you may find helpful as you get to know your new car, Alan. I have a copy of it on my shelves which you would be most welcome to borrow should you be unable to source your own.

It is entitled "Essential Volvo 120 series and P1800" (The cars and their story 1956 - 73) by Anders Ditlev Clausager, published 1996 by Bay View Books ISBN 1 870979 74 5.

It is quite a comprehensive little volume and features the history, description and analysis of each model, with specifications, performance data and production figures.

Best wishes for your new project!

Regards, John.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 11:41   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A "holistic" thought on the windscreen surround, doors etc Alan - no doubt you'll have the bumpers off at some point to clean, derust and apply grease/clear Waxoyl/similar to the "hidden" side of the bumpers and no doubt there will be other small places where you notice little bits of rust that will mar the paintwork when you repair them.

Based on the excellent suggestion about removing the screen and repairing the surround then refitting the screen, i would suggest waiting to decide on the doors (and whatever else may transpire) until you've found everything. It may be more cost-effective to have a few patches of primer adorning GAM until all remedial work is done then buy some paint and create a paint booth and give it a complete respray.

I believe new windscreen rubber seals are available (made from modern rubber) but obviously the regulars in this section can advise further on that.

It's nearly a 60 year old car so there will always be something to do but it looks like you have a very nice machine to start with there and it's a different animal to the RB which as you have pointed out elsewhere, wears its 41 year old patina very well.

Good luck with it all and looking forward to the updates on here!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 12:38   #8
kiloran

Looks marvellous. A friend's Dad had a red Amazon in the late '70s and even then it looked like it was from a bygone age. Amazing things, always had a soft spot for them. The very definition of a practical classic - he was still running it as a daily in the early '90s, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's still about today.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 13:39   #9
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

It looks just the ticket. Nice, solid and presentable, but still a few bits to keep you occupied. I quite fancy an Amazon, 144 or 164 myself this year.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 14:39   #10
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Super duper, exactly the advice I need. I'm guessing it is easy enough to remove the screen without breaking it?

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to fit a modern rubber seal like the RB has and so banish leaks forever?

Alan
There isn’t but Gordon Hunter did a good article to how to replace and seal the screen; https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=63825