Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GLT saloon restoration project

Views : 38039

Replies : 270

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2022, 13:26   #211
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
In my humble opinion, unless you are aiming for a show car it would be better to stick with the rat look. If it were me I'd just paint it with similar colour smooth hamerite and lacquer over that. The motor car looks really good the way it is.
Now she’s had her new hips, knees, face-lift and Botox , I think it would be a shame to not do the makeup fairly well.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 13:39   #212
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Now she’s had her new hips, knees, face-lift and Botox , I think it would be a shame to not do the makeup fairly well.
Each to their own. I've thought about having the RB painted a few times but always concluded the patina has taken 41 years to look as good as it does.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2022.

Alan
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 13:43   #213
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Each to their own. I've thought about having the RB painted a few times but always concluded the patina has taken 41 years to look as good as it does.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2022.

Alan
There is that, I suppose. The RB has had less surgery though.😀

Happy ‘22 to you bud!😃
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 10:57   #214
Juular

I'm really enjoying the 240. I can already see why they have such a loyal following, they drive so well and everything just feels right. What strikes me is how modern it feels - in a good way as I generally hate modern cars. It's very easy to live with and incredibly competent.

We took a drive up to Crianlarich this week. It was very heavy rain and flooding most of the way but the car was surefooted and I felt completely confident and safe in it.

It's still sitting a bit odd, I'm going to check over the back end and see if perhaps the rear springs are exaggerating the look.

So I think I've ironed out most of the creases now, but I still have a cold starting problem. My gut feeling is that it's a fuelling issue, as gaming the 5th injector with a couple of false starts before going for an a actual start definitely helps.

Fuel flow is strong, could I have an issue with the pressure regulator, or should I be looking at the warm up regulator?

Once it warms up a little (30 secs - 1 minute), I can stop and restart the car all day and it will fire up perfectly on a half turn.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 11:12   #215
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I think I've ironed out most of the creases now, but I still have a cold starting problem. My gut feeling is that it's a fuelling issue, as gaming the 5th injector with a couple of false starts before going for an a actual start definitely helps.

Fuel flow is strong, could I have an issue with the pressure regulator, or should I be looking at the warm up regulator?

Once it warms up a little (30 secs - 1 minute), I can stop and restart the car all day and it will fire up perfectly on a half turn.
A common cause of loss of fuel pressure while the car is sat is the NRV/check valve in the outlet of the main pressure pump. These are (or at least were) available from Volvo for ~£28 but when you can get a complete new pump including check vale from Rock Auto for not much more delivered, that would be a better option.
However i'm not convinced that would give the improvement you want/need. Do you know what the CO level is when warm? Should be 1% +1/-0.5%.
Before you check/alter this, i'd suggest setting the ignition timing to 12deg BTDC and treating it to some super unleaded (98RON) which should help improve matters in general.

There are a couple of other things you can do to the Control Pressure Regulator after setting the timing and CO correctly but see how it goes after you get those right. Also bear in mind it's not run for a considerable time regularly so it might well be in "shakedown mode" and things will improve naturally.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 11:22   #216
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
. Do you know what the CO level is when warm? Should be 1% +1/-0.5%.
Before you check/alter this, i'd suggest setting the ignition timing to 12deg BTDC and treating it to some super unleaded (98RON) which should help improve matters in general.
I forgot to mention I did change the timing to 12BTDC and I've always run on 99 so far.

Does the noisy pump suggest anything? It does sound like cavitation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 11:32   #217
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I forgot to mention I did change the timing to 12BTDC and I've always run on 99 so far.

Does the noisy pump suggest anything? It does sound like cavitation.
That suggests the in-tank pump is struggling/possibly not working but also a possible problem with the main pump.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...fuel+pump,6256

A choice of pumps there, something to think about at least. If you do order from them, when selecting the carriage don't automatically go for the cheapest one as this often means your item will get stuck at Customs, HMRC send a card telling you how much you need to pay then Royal Mail charge £8 on top for collecting it on HMRCs behalf.
Better and cheaper to select the higher cost carriage (usually FedEx, DPD or similar) that prepays the Customs charge and delivers to your door. Much quicker too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 10:33   #218
Juular

Another few hundred miles done.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 21:14   #219
David245

Great thread mate
David245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David245 For This Useful Post: