Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593838

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 06:59   #2031
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
I hadn't actually noticed any oil consumption at all, although I hadn't checked it for a while.
Hi Chris,
Don't forget your engine has been changed by Volvo with 90% of the invoice paid by Volvo ! You're so lucky...
So with a new engine, you should not burn oil .

Last edited by ChrisFromFrance; Mar 11th, 2019 at 07:01.
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 07:00   #2032
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamusUK View Post
I doubt if Volvo/Geely would jeopardise the success of the SPA platform with the VEA, if there was an inherent design fault with the VEA.

My gut feel is that they knew and fixed the issue for the SPA cars (having trialled them in the last phase of the old platform.. ie our cars).

It would be nice if they respected their loyal customers/fans and offered a recall. In return, they would get brand loyalty i'm sure.

If Volvo are truly a safety focused company, how could they risk cars suddenly going into limp mode on the motorway, when they KNOW their cars have a problem?

It's a sad state of affairs. I really hope they follow these forums, and do the right thing. Yes, they are fixing the problems as they are reported (which is good), but why not be proactive about it?

All these problems will finish for sure with a Class Action against Volvo.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisFromFrance For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 07:06   #2033
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
So does this problem then cause a high oil consumption which in turn then causes an EGR system blockage? Or is this a completely separate fault that actually has nothing to do with the EGR valve and cooler blockages?
I think the 2 problems are linked.

EGR not fixed make lot of soots,
Soots come into the cylinder , soot + oil clog the piston rings,
Then piston rings become inefficients,
And then the motor burn oil,
And then EGR cooler clog...

How can we demonstrate that ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisFromFrance For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 07:16   #2034
ChrisFromFrance

my VIN number; YV1FW73CDE1198717
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 08:32   #2035
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
The error code was for blocked EGR/ cooler. As I'd already had the final fix, the dealer suggested a leakage test. I would suspect they've seen this before for even suggesting it. The EGR and cooler were replaced along with the engine..

I hadn't actually noticed any oil consumption at all, although I hadn't checked it for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
I think the 2 problems are linked.

EGR not fixed make lot of soots,
Soots come into the cylinder , soot + oil clog the piston rings,
Then piston rings become inefficients,
And then the motor burn oil,
And then EGR cooler clog...

How can we demonstrate that ?
I don't know, but there seems to be no real evidence linking these problems. Maybe they are both 'characteristics' of this engine so some unlucky owners will suffer both problems?

If an EGR problem was to generate excessive soot then wouldn't the DPF become overwhelmed? And wouldn't excessive EGR flow cause too little oxygen to be present in combustion and so cause an error code from the exhaust manifold oxygen sensor? Conversely, other than increasing NOx emissions, insufficient EGR flow is not going to cause any engine problems (and surely the issue with the EGR system is that it becomes blocked, causing insufficient EGR flow?).
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 16:25   #2036
Miyo360

Hey, I just wanted to provide an update to my repair last week. When it was diagnosed the guy mentioned "intercooler" needed replacing, but when the work had been done and I collected the car he said "EGR valve" so I'm not sure exactly what has been changed. Although his colleague said the valve I have on now is the newest design, using a wider pipe which has been Teflon coated to prevent build up. Sounds sensible.

Also, when I asked if the repair that Volvo had paid for had any sort of warranty, the guy said not. There was effectively no warranty as I had not paid anything for the repair.

Hope this helps others.
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 16:44   #2037
Lynn123

Reading this thread is making me so cross that I have bought what I thought to be hassle free motoring for the next 8 - 10 years (my previous car was S60 2.4 SE D5 which was 14 yrs old before it showed any signs of trouble) and the reality is I have to sell my beloved V40 D4 after just 16 months and replace with a non volvo purely at my inconvenience and huge expense because of a manufacturers fault! NOT HAPPY!!
Lynn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 17:18   #2038
iain cooper

looking at your previous posts it appears to be your driving style that has caused the problems ?

I can't believe that a Volvo dealer said this, surely you have grounds for a legal claim ?

Iain

Last edited by iain cooper; Mar 11th, 2019 at 17:22.
iain cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 17:36   #2039
Lynn123

Quote:
I was told exactly the same by the technician word for word! (Rybrook?). I had the leakage test done which showed a problem with the piston rings.

The solution was a new engine at a cost of £8700. Fortunately I had a full Volvo service history and to be fair, the dealership were really helpful and negotiated a 90% contribution from Volvo, despite the car being more than 4 years old. Still cost me £870 though.

I now have a 12 month warranty on the engine and cooler so that gives me 12 months to decide whether to hang on or get rid.
It was Rybrook's at Warrington - yes!
So frustrating isn't it?!
Lynn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 07:27   #2040
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post
looking at your previous posts it appears to be your driving style that has caused the problems ?

I can't believe that a Volvo dealer said this, surely you have grounds for a legal claim ?

Iain

The same at my dealer in France... is it Volvo defence line !
A legal claim... believe me it will cost a lot. They will made expertise, your car will be parked during the procedure, you will have to pay for a rental car, you will have to pay the fees, it will last a while....
Personally, I have choose not to start a legal claim but to burn my 30 liter castrol per year for a practical price of 300€/year.
A legal claim will cost a lot and will take all your energy.
Moreover, in 2 years my car will be closed to 200000kms and it will be easier for me to get rid off for nothing.

Last edited by ChrisFromFrance; Mar 12th, 2019 at 07:33.