Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600988

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 20:40   #1531
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
No doubt I could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but I preferred to have the "Volvo branded" warranty, although not sure that makes any difference!
Some folk prefer Warranty Direct. Apparently there are some subtle differences between what is (and is not) covered. It will be interesting to see how Warranty Direct handles EGR claims if Volvo 'attempt' to deny future responsibility. Could be some interesting cases coming up.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 16:06   #1532
Waggatron

Thanks Arianne for the comment earlier about the engine temp gauge. I've owned this XC60 for 2.5 years and hadn't realised the dash had one...but after playing around with the themes....there it was!

You learn something new every day

I was certainly surprised by how quickly the car got to temperature....4 miles or so....but once "on the line" there it stayed!
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 08:13   #1533
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog251 View Post
Hi just joined the forum as the check engine light on my Xc60 D4 came on last week. Horrified to see so many posts re this fault. Car has been in the garage a week & they have changed the inlet manifold on the advice of Volvo technical. Not sure if this is a modified one like the latest fix mentioned here. Service manager tells me it's only guaranteed until end of April when warranty expires. Car has only done 19000 miles & I don't do short journeys so it warms up properly.

Has anyone had an acknowledgement of the fault from Volvo that reoccurrence will be looked on sympathetically? I like the car but it's got to go if this keeps happening. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
I was simply told that it wouldn't happen again and that they had never seen one back since the latest fix was released. As my guarantee has just six months still to run I am guessing that it will be well out of cover by the time I see that engine light again on it.

I originally bought this D4 XC60 expecting it to happily cover 20,000 miles a year for five or six years only afterwards discovering this thread so the EGR problem when it occurred at least wasn't a surprise.

What has been a surprise though is the very poor fuel consumption which is totally unrelated to the EGR issue.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 15:17   #1534
hobson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
What exactly did they do 3 months ago? It should have been the coolant hose permanent fix ...
What is the next part of the fix? I have had egr and cooler but eml back on with egr no flow fault code.
hobson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 17:42   #1535
GuidoBrunetti

Default Photo of final EGR fix modified cooling hoses please

I would be grateful if someone who knows that they have the final EGR fix would post a photo of the modified cooling hoses so that people can know definitively if they have the latest fix. Thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 19:59   #1536
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson1 View Post
What is the next part of the fix? I have had egr and cooler but eml back on with egr no flow fault code.
you should get anew cooler and hoses this time , the final fix !
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 07:14   #1537
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
Thanks Arianne for the comment earlier about the engine temp gauge. I've owned this XC60 for 2.5 years and hadn't realised the dash had one...but after playing around with the themes....there it was!

You learn something new every day

I was certainly surprised by how quickly the car got to temperature....4 miles or so....but once "on the line" there it stayed!
Well Sebster, although I have just sold my XC60, I will always be a Volvo man at heart. And it's good to hear that I still have some usefulness on this forum - albeit that I deal with the easy, simple stuff and leave the deeper technical subjects to those who really know a thing or two about cars!

Have a good day.

Arianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardXC60 View Post
I was simply told that it wouldn't happen again and that they had never seen one back since the latest fix was released. As my guarantee has just six months still to run I am guessing that it will be well out of cover by the time I see that engine light again on it.

I originally bought this D4 XC60 expecting it to happily cover 20,000 miles a year for five or six years only afterwards discovering this thread so the EGR problem when it occurred at least wasn't a surprise.

What has been a surprise though is the very poor fuel consumption which is totally unrelated to the EGR issue.

Don't give up. I must have had one of the worst EGR / Turtle problems on the forum. But once the dealer applied the final fix in early Summer 2016 the car was completely fine and never missed a beat.

My own personal view was that, apart from the EGR issue, the XC60 never had one other single fault in the three years of our ownership from new. However many times I tried to explain this to Mrs A, it never made an impact. In her case, she had lost heart and fallen out of love with our car which is why she was so insistent that it was sold at three years when the warranty expired. That logic made no sense though. But, at the end of the day, we are mostly emotional in our decision making despite the veneer of logic.

Regarding fuel economy, I agree with you. Achieving around 50mpg requires a certain driving style and circumstances. These are hard to maintain. In most normal week to week driving the fuel economy falls away sharply and we typically returned around 38mpg across a tank of fuel. Sometimes a few mpg less, sometimes more.

These newer, smaller 4cyl Diesel engines are all sensitive in this way. I don't know why. I assume it's dependent upon whether you choose to drive like Miss Daisy or take advantage of the extra power that the designers have found. From reading other forum and motoring magazines, I think they're all the same and it's not just Volvo.

Regards

Arianne
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 17:56   #1538
Flux
Premier Member

Just had my 3 year service before warranty runs out at the end of this month, with 40,000 miles on the clock.

I had the V1 EGR modification done about 2 years ago (new cooler but no other components). No faults since but dealer could not get the fault code to appear at the service to fit the definitive EGR fix. So have to wait until the fault occurs but was told Volvo are very flexible if this happens outside warranty. Also though, they said it was strange that the fault hasn't occurred since!

Interestingly, I needed a new swirl valve as the one on the car was faulty and apparently opened up at the wrong intervals. Not very common dealer said.

Also had to clean the oxygen sensor.

New back disks and pads - circa £350.

My car now gives me some noticeable torque steer, something I have not experienced for a long time. Much faster under acceleration and feels re-energized and as I remember it being. MPG seems to have increased significantly although only a shorter trip but difficult to be definitive. Clearly some improvement will result in service and software update but can't believe it'll just be down to that.

So why didn't the car show a fault code in this instance as clearly the swirl valve has a part to play in performance - shame.

Hope this is useful info for the thread.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 21:21   #1539
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
I would be grateful if someone who knows that they have the final EGR fix would post a photo of the modified cooling hoses so that people can know definitively if they have the latest fix. Thanks.
My car had the latest fix about a month or so ago. The photo on the left is before, and the photo on the right is after the fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (216.6 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (226.4 KB, 413 views)

Last edited by spaceman2844; Mar 14th, 2017 at 22:17.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 21:35   #1540
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
It is simple , The top radiator hose will go direct to the engine with no big T Piece half way along it ...