Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Fuel Pump Issue

Views : 926

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 16:28   #1
zakmuh

Default D5 Fuel Pump Issue

Hi Everyone

I'd appreciate if anyone could help with issue I have. My 2007 XC90 would not starts. At key position II, fuel gets to HP pump but when cranking flow stops and would not continue. I have to wait for like 5 mins turn on the ignition for fuel to flow.

Scanned for codes but no codes found. I have tried to prime the fuel system but fuel would not flow out of the HP pump, so bleeding common tail or connections at injectors had no point. Checked all the fuses and relays and all are intact.

To me it looks like ECU cutting the tank fuel pump supply as soon as cranking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUFL2myI9c

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 12:38   #2
zakmuh

I'm just going through what we have checked so far and some other thoughts...

So far...:
Lifter pump (Low Pressure pump) in the tank is priming - so no need to check relays or wiring connections
Flow from lifter pump is steady and consistent up to HP pump - so fuel lines have no leaks
During priming, fuel would flow from HP to CR and also to fuel return lines - this is normal
When cranking fuel flows from CR and up to injectors but very low - no pressure
When cranking pressure sensor voltage remains at 0.51v - no pressure building up in CR
when cranking fuel returns line on HP pump side has same amount of fuel as to when priming - this is again normal and HP pump is not leaking
when cranking fuel returns lines connected to injectors having fuel coming through (not coming out of injectors) - this is normal

Basically fuel is coming to HP pump but no enough pressure there in order to inject into combustion chamber, hence no start. There are two things concern me:
1. When cranking fuel returns line on HP pump side has same amount of fuel as to when priming....I'd expect returning flow to reduce as SCV would allow half of the fuel to pistons to pressurise the outlet flow to CR?

2. Should I check if injectors are click to cranking? If the are not, then could ECU be cutting the signal cos all 5 of them cant be at fault

3. Immobiliser - leaving the widows and bonnet open and locking the car with key fob isn't triggering the alarm but red flashing light is on on the dashboard. Can I assume the immobiliser is not working? Could this me causing any starting issue?

I'd highly appreciate some advice to get it going again.

Thanks
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 11:47   #3
zakmuh

Hi

I've done checks on SCV today and its in the video blow. 3 clips in there:

1st - Bulb connected to SCV connector
2nd - Live Data from scanner with bulb connected (same readings with SCV connected as well). This scanner has no option to adjust anything for this one. If there is please let me know
3rd - SCV removed out of the pump but connected to ECU. Then very low pressure air is blown into the valve to check its function

https://youtu.be/Fmn1HcuWOD0

I'm not sure if the valve is working cos I could see air is leaking even after its closed?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 16:18   #4
zakmuh

SOLVED!

Car is now sorted. The issue I had was...I had not done the priming correctly, therefore there were lots of air in the fuel line. I did the key On and OFF cycle for over 20 times (as advised by Volvo) and then car started straight away.

If you remove any fuel system line (like a hose or a banjo bolt or high pressure pipe etc), it sucks air in then stops sending fuel to common rail. When you turn the key to ON (ignition on) and if you have air then you could hear fuel flowing in there inside the fuel filter housing under rear passenger seating location. So you have to prime until you hear nothing but whining noise. This is achieved by above method, ON and then OFF

Cheers