Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheeler dealers

Views : 4191

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:10   #11
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve m View Post
I think some of you are missing the point. They arent doing a project car, theyre doing what a trader does every day of the week I.E. buy a cheap car, touch it up, polish it a bit and knock it out, and thats what they do, pur and simple
Exactly
It says it all in the title.
It's about turning a car round for profit. No different to a dealer going down the auction and flipping the car.
The difference with Mike and Ed is that they appear to have a conscience!
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:12   #12
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i still would not touch with a barge pole any car they have done as they dont have the passion nor the integrity a proper restro needs full stop so yes if you want a bodged up half hearted car then go for it which costs you twice the price to put right yeeh haaa cowboy

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Sep 30th, 2013 at 21:14.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:15   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I enjoy the show. Coming from a different part of the world I was brought up with a totally different breed of cars so the bit I like the most is getting to see a wide range of classics from over here. Most of the cars seem to be not too bad in the end I normally think. Maybe they'll do an Amazon soon.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 10:05   #14
guitarman

Personally I think we need less of these 'shows'. Major damage has been done to the antiques trade and house repair/building by similar daytime tv type dross. There is little educational value in it and all it does is mislead and artificially raise values. Bad all round.
Besides, if you want to learn about cars the only way to do so is to buy one and roll up your sleeves!
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 01:28   #15
ANDREWNT

I think its a great show especially when its doing older classics, as unless your watching the Saint, Persuaders or the Baron, etc you just don't see these cars on the TV anymore. They hopefully are bringing these cars before a younger audience. Surely its car dealers and classic car magazines that drive up car prices by continually trying to identify future classics and talking about cars as investments.
Yes I agree the way they calculate profit is a little strange and possibly giving an indication of labour costs would be good but surely its meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.
Certainly watching the episode on the 1800s made me realise it could look as good in Green as White, to my eyes, and probably made me think a bit more about looking into buying a Volvo something I had always been wary of. The car at the start of the programme looks great and it's great to find out more about it on this forum.
I certainly prefer to to watch stuff like this to watching Richard Hamster driving the latest Pagani Zonda or Clarkson arguing the toss over supercars that are becoming less and less super in my opinion and which I'll never be able to own even if I wanted to.
I really enjoyed the Volvo programme and thought the one on the Fiat Coupe "he just stumbled across" in Italy was great viewing.
So unless the BBC can do a rerun of 60's and 70's Wheelbase programmes I think these are good to watch and more interesting than endless cookery programmes or dropping caravans from great heights.
ANDREWNT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ANDREWNT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:50   #16
markymar93

I have to say that I always watch wheeler dealers but appreciate its more for entertainment rather than anything else. It is nice to see a range of different cars. If you want to see a programme where they really bodge cars watch Texas car wars. Based on 4 garages trying to make the most money on a car resto. One garage seems ok and has some standards. However the others are far less bothered.
markymar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 17:35   #17
tdz840
VOC Member

As some have said these cars aren't a regular either on the roads or at shows.
The more they appear on the radar the more the value goes up. Not so much from a price perspective but from a supplier basis.
Currently Simon and Rob are providing new parts. Hopefully as these cars get restored and the value increases so more companies will consider tooling up.
Front discs are a prime example
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 20:41   #18
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

and front discs are on the shelf so where is the problem .... my moto is if something is worth doing then its worth doing RIGHT and when you start something then finish it so with that ethos, i watch shows like that and go omfg what are they doing shaking my head and shouting bodge flick the show off and sit and think all night about yet another cars heart being ripped out of it i rather not see them done like that period least then they will not reck cars we all love so let em loose on a mini metro or some fiat uno thats about all they can cope with hehe

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 23:44   #19
PenR

Wheeler Dealers - every episode ever made - free at http://www.streetfire.net/videos/?t=wheeler%20dealers also loads of car vids
Worth a look and includes the P1800
Enjoy
PenR
PenR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PenR For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 15:21   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

The show has just been on TV again, I did a DVLA tax and MOT check and the car is still on the road with a valid MOT, it has had more work over the years due to corrosion but last 3 MOT's were passes with no advisories.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote