Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is my 240 odd?

Views : 651

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2021, 21:21   #1
Danielanthelions

Smile Is my 240 odd?

Hello,
I am sorry for my lack of understanding in my first post here and thanks for letting me join, but I have a 240gl 200e 5 speed, registered in 1990, but it is k tonic injection?
I thought this sort of injection was replaced in 1984?
This is causing me problems as the wiring diagrams available for 90/89 just don't seem to match it and the closest I've found that does is for the GLT from 1984.
I have an issue of the fuel pump cables and relay get really hot, i have a new fuel pump both main and in tank replaced, plus the fuel filters, but it still doesn't feel like there is enough fuel pressure as it barley starts?
I hope you can help or know why this model doesn't match.
thanks,
Danielanthelions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 23:47   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielanthelions View Post
Hello,
I am sorry for my lack of understanding in my first post here and thanks for letting me join, but I have a 240gl 200e 5 speed, registered in 1990, but it is k tonic injection?
This is causing me problems as the wiring diagrams available for 90/89 just don't seem to match it and the closest I've found that does is for the GLT from 1984.
I have an issue of the fuel pump cables and relay get really hot, i have a new fuel pump both main and in tank replaced, plus the fuel filters, but it still doesn't feel like there is enough fuel pressure as it barley starts?
thanks,
Your car was the year they changed over from K jetronic to electronic fuel injection . It is probably a 1989 model year ... so have a look at a 1989 wiring diagram, fuel pressure checks require the volvo fuel pressure gauge and pipes and adapters and a 2 way tap ., a general purpose K jetronic fuel pressure gauge kit may have those included .

Initial starting uses a separate injector on the inlet manifold controlled by a thermal time switch on the back of the cylinder block . as soon as you let go of the starter key the cold start injector cuts off .
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 10:45   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielanthelions View Post
Hello,
thanks,
1990 is the first year of LH2.4 so you see some 1990 models with K jet and some with LH

When you replaced the main pump did you get the correct high pressure pump or were you sent just a normal fuel injection pump? Normal FI pumps do not make enough pressure for K jetronic
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 11:20   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
1990 is the first year of LH2.4 so you see some 1990 models with K jet and some with LH

When you replaced the main pump did you get the correct high pressure pump or were you sent just a normal fuel injection pump? Normal FI pumps do not make enough pressure for K jetronic
Indeed , the hot wires could be the pump for the later 35 psi system trying hard to produce the 75 psi needed for the K jetronic and drawing too much current and not able to reach the high pressure needed .

Tags
fuel, fuel relay, fuse, getting hot, pump