Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800E vin

Views : 938

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 17:40   #1
Collew

Default P1800E vin

Hi. I’m new- both to the Community and to ownership of a lovely K reg 1800E. It came from auction with no V5 so I’m applying for one but am I confused about the vin?? Oh yes. It seems I need 17 digits but I can’t find anywhere on the car with more than 13. Can anyone educate (and help) me please??
Collew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 18:06   #2
c1800
Master Member

17 digit Vin numbers I believe became the norm in 1981. Prior to that car manufacturers used a variety of formats. Your 13 digit number is a combination of the model designation (the first part) and after the - (dash) it’s the vehicles unique serial number. Different jurisdictions will use all or part of those 13 digits to register a vehicle. My ‘71 is registered (Canada) using one digit before the dash, and all digits after the dash. Not sure what the logic to that is, but that’s the way I got it.

I’m sure other posters will chime in with UK advice for you.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 19:05   #3
Collew

Thanks- that’s really helpful! 2 gifts from Canada today - your kind response and some lovely flowers for Christmas from our cousins around Toronto!
Collew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 16:35   #4
VolvoRoyS

I recently was trying to find vin information on my 1973ES. Have a look at this link
https://volvo1800pictures.com/production/production.php

and look under production/types.

Under the bonnet of my car I found 1834352 and this means:
18 Type
3 estate
4 B20E engine
3 without sunroof
5 manual gearbox
2 RHD

In addition the V5C gives the VIN as just 4 digits, which I think I found tacked onto the end of the above in the door post.
VolvoRoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 18:12   #5
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRoyS View Post
I recently was trying to find vin information on my 1973ES. Have a look at this link
https://volvo1800pictures.com/production/production.php

and look under production/types.

Under the bonnet of my car I found 1834352 and this means:
18 Type
3 estate
4 B20E engine
3 without sunroof
5 manual gearbox
2 RHD

In addition the V5C gives the VIN as just 4 digits, which I think I found tacked onto the end of the above in the door post.
There were about 8000 ES models built, that’s why your “serial number/VIN” is only 4 digits. There were about 39000 coupes built, hence they have 5 digit “serial number/VIN”. Some have a letter tacked on the end which is the year code.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2021, 19:36   #6
mike gilbert
Master Member

Every 1800 coupe I've seen in the UK has the chassis number stamped under the paint just here to the right of the radiator as you look at it from the drivers seat, I've circled the panel in red. The plates circled in yellow give the type designation and body number (which is a different thing to the chassis number). Really the chassis number is only the last 5 digits (all numerical) as has already been stated but unfortunately these cars are often incorrectly registered using the type designation number. So you have choice, fill in the form using only the last five numbers - which is the correct way to do it - or using the type designation as well as the numbers which gives you 13 digits. No 1800 series car had 17 digits.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote