Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Crankshaft Timing to TDC

Views : 377

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2021, 16:39   #1
zakmuh

Default D5 Crankshaft Timing to TDC

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a fantastic Xmas.

I had a broken rocker arm in my 2007 XC90. First time, I took the manifold off to check the condition of arms. Car did run as usual after this. On the second time I took exhaust shaft out and replaced the broken rocker arm but after putting everything back car wouldn't start.

For over 10 days I have checked everything, from fuel pump to injectors...sensors and all that. Fuel flows to HP pump and cuts out when cranked and flows no more. Basically ECU stopping the pump.

I believe I might have messed up the timing. I have Volvo timing alignment tools. I can check the cylinder No 1 piston is approaching TDC but how would I know if the piston is in combustion position or in exhaust stroke?

I'd be highly grateful if anyone could guide me through this

Thanks

Last edited by zakmuh; Dec 26th, 2021 at 16:59.
zakmuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2021, 16:47   #2
zakmuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmuh View Post
....I can check the cylinder No 1 piston is approaching TDC but how would I know if the piston is in combustion position or in exhaust stroke
Thanks
Should cyl 1 be in compression (with TDC)?
If I lock camshafts, would that keep both side valves (and cam lobe) in closed position for cyl 1?

Engine is running with easy start spray though

Thanks

Last edited by zakmuh; Dec 26th, 2021 at 17:00.
zakmuh is offline   Reply With Quote