Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Limited Edition

Views : 636

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 08:41   #1
Shaun Donnelly

Default Limited Edition

Hi everyone.
Thank you for letting me join, I have recently bought a Volvo 240 estate GL.
This one has leather front seats black and dark grey rear seat material. It has Torslanda bars but not Torslanda side decals, it also has air conditioning. Unlike a torslanda it has chrome bumper trims not black ones. Does anyone know if Volvo made a limited Edition?
Thanks in advance.
Shaun
Shaun Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaun Donnelly For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 10:08   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Pretty sure the front seats will be replacement ones.

A picture would help if you are able to post one.

What year is he?

Replacement parts appear on these older motors ,only natural!

Not been on here long myself , it's a very useful spot!!!

I have a 240 estate myself, love it!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 19:19   #3
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hi,

I guess it’s this car, since it’s a really unusual spec?

It would be relatively easy to track down a set of seats to match the front or the back and complete the set with either cloth or leather, depending on your preference. Despite what the previous owner said in the link above, I’d be surprised if Volvo supplied a car with mis-matched seats, so I suspect the fronts were replaced at some stage.

What do you mean by ‘Torslanda bars’?

Looks like a nicely spec’d car to have, once it’s back on the road - looked like it needs/needed some welding first…

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 20:13   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I agree that the front seats are highly likely to be replacements, Shaun. Welcome to the forum, by the way...

My second Volvo, a '72 145 DL, also had mismatched seats - black vinyl in the rear and the same colour leather to the front. I was told that the originals had worn out and were also badly sun damaged, which is why they were changed.

A later car, a 245 GLT, was an ex-embassy car and equipped with a/c. This came into it's own when we toured Scandinavia with some Swedish friends in the hot summer of '95. I don't remember for sure at this distance in time, but I have a feeling that it was still running R12 refrigerant and not R134a. It may pay you to check this if the system should need regassing.

As 'Moomoo' observed above, the 2 series cars are the arch-typical Volvo, embodying all the virtues that made the brand a house-hold name for reliability, safety and longevity. The 245 is also a consummate load carrier and an excellent tow-car. It's only limitation in my opinion was the one-piece rear seat - an omission that was later rectified on the 7 series, which rendered them much more versatile in that respect.

I hope you enjoy your new car - as I am sure you will! I often wish that I had kept hold of my GLT, but at the time it was just another old car. In mitigation, I did keep the 745 GLE that replaced it for 18 years. Be warned, Volvos can have that effect on you!

Regards, John.

P.S. While I'm not aware of any 'limited editions' being produced (but that is not to say that there were not), don't forget that the Torslander was very much a run-out model for the 2 series. As such, Volvo may well have used up existing stocks of parts, which might explain slightly varying specifications across the range. J.

Last edited by john.wigley; Dec 23rd, 2021 at 20:25. Reason: Add postscript
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 21:53   #5
DW42

Air conditioning is a rarity in a 240 in the UK. Looking at the photos, it was added years later, as it has controls like the 1992-3 cars. Earlier 240s had a dial to regulate temperature. It is the least reliable part of a 240, but still well worth having as an option. All of the parts are still available -- the compressor can be replaced with a Sanden unit (made in Singapore). Good luck with your new purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 12:12   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hi,

What do you mean by ‘Torslanda bars’?

The zebra stripes round the sides?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 12:25   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
While I'm not aware of any 'limited editions' being produced (but that is not to say that there were not),
I had a 1990 originally sold for immediate export, and it had a sticker on it saying it was limited edition diplomatic export. It spent part of its life in Sweden, and still had a Swedish "S" sticker on it when I bought it.

As far as I could tell there wasn't anything "special" about it - just an ordinary 230F with LH2.4 ignition, converted a long time ago to LPG in Holland.
The LPG was temperamental, and the engine developed a knock, not unconnected I suspected.

I think it was just a tax dodge to do with VAT exemption for exports.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote