Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leaking injector pipe

Views : 1267

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 22:18   #1
tfb

Default Leaking injector pipe

Driving into work this evening and about half way down the M11 I could feel the car lose power, not much but noticable as I was going uphill. By the time I had got to London I had gone through half a tank of fuel as well!.
I popped the bonnet in the car park and found the engine bay covered in a mixture of diesel/SVO and a regular spurt of fuel coming out of the top of number 3 injector.
After turning the engine off and taking a closer look there is a hairline fracture in the pipe just by the locking nut. The pipe was probably weakened by me pulling it off and on repeatedly while when I was having the disater of the dodgy injector washers and then with a few more thousand miles of vibration it decided to give up the ghost!
Luckily I have a spare set of pipes....but they are at home and 90 miles away!. Can I be bothered to wait 4hrs for the RAC to tow me home or shall I just drive it and stop at every fuel station on the way home??. Think I'll drive!

Regards

TFB
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:28   #2
tfb

10 minutes to fit the replacement pipe and then 3 hours to jetwash the engine bar and the driveway

By the time I had got home in the early hours of the morning the injector pipe had totaly snapped off. The fuel consumptio wasn't as bad as I had feared in the end, about 20 litres for 90 miles.

Regards

TFB
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 20:32   #3
jor
VOC 20573

Default Injector pipes

Glad you made it without the help of the fifth emergency service.
I didn't realize how fragile these pipes were until I tried disconnecting them fron the pump, managing to mangle two in the process.
Smart move having spares to hand!

john
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 20:51   #4
craig8661
Master Member

i keep the spare set of injector pipes allso a spare injector pump lol they are fridgile we had them go on varius tractors for no reason at all

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 21:12   #5
Doctor Who ?

Thumbs up

An old dodge / bodge I've used in the past is a ball bearing under the pump union ... Runs on Five, but, as you'd expect but no loss of fuel (£1:07 per litre) and yes, they are brittle ... B.T.W. have you got all the clamps on ??

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 13:24   #6
tfb

missing one clamp ( the one that clamps just 2 pipes), but I have got all the others on

Regards

TFB