Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 142

Views : 126510

Replies : 265

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2023, 06:52   #161
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Excellent thanks. Interesting that it faces sideways as well rather than forward.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:51   #162
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Well Rob at Amazon cars has pulled the rabbit out of the hat and has a e bracket and cable.. Fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20230126-WA0000.jpg (183.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20230126-WA0001.jpg (267.4 KB, 9 views)
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 14:38   #163
142 Guy
Master Member

That is the hot ticket. Looks a little crusty; but, a trip to the abrasive blaster and some powder coat will probably have it looking new.

The crank part of the mechanism pivots in a synthetic bushing of some sort that presses into the firewall. It is that beige coloured piece in my photos and appears to be no longer available. If Amazon cars can't supply the original (which may have disintegrated), you will probably have to have a replacement machined from one of those oily engineered plastics such as Acetal or Delrin. The bracket part is attached to the firewall with nutserts / rivnuts.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 15:12   #164
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
That is the hot ticket. Looks a little crusty; but, a trip to the abrasive blaster and some powder coat will probably have it looking new.

The crank part of the mechanism pivots in a synthetic bushing of some sort that presses into the firewall. It is that beige coloured piece in my photos and appears to be no longer available. If Amazon cars can't supply the original (which may have disintegrated), you will probably have to have a replacement machined from one of those oily engineered plastics such as Acetal or Delrin. The bracket part is attached to the firewall with nutserts / rivnuts.
Yeah will tidy up everything and make it all look nice when the car goes for paint is the plan.

I assume the bush in he bulkead is the same for the linkage for the carbs. Mine was missing but I got a replacement off ebay but it wasn't secured with rivnuts. Part number 25 looks like what I bought, didn't want to go in without a struggle. I have some Delrin so can turn one up if needed.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 17:02   #165
142 Guy
Master Member

Probably the same bushing as for the carburettor linkage. It is just push to fit in the firewall. My comment about rivnuts was for mounting the bracket. The original application uses a nut held in a metal cage which is pushed into the hole in the firewall. The cage falls apart or the nut starts to slip in the cage so you can't tighten it. Rivnuts are the quick solution.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 17:31   #166
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Probably the same bushing as for the carburettor linkage. It is just push to fit in the firewall. My comment about rivnuts was for mounting the bracket. The original application uses a nut held in a metal cage which is pushed into the hole in the firewall. The cage falls apart or the nut starts to slip in the cage so you can't tighten it. Rivnuts are the quick solution.
Yep will just use rivenuts for the bracket.
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 15:12   #167
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Started stripping the 142, she's off for a full respray at the end of the month. Such a fantastic old beast the 142.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1680357983235.jpg (56.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1680357988570.jpg (98.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1680358000222.jpg (151.4 KB, 11 views)
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 16:45   #168
142 Guy
Master Member

How is your center grill and headlight surrounds? On my 142 the center black ribs were pretty bent up and the surrounding bright trim was also pretty dented. It is all rather thin aluminum. Nice that it doesn't rust; but, a hard stare will create a dent in the aluminum and my car had seen a lot of action on gravel roads.

Many hours with a tiny pick and hammer managed to get the black parts looking good. A little spot filler in a few spots around the headlight and then some satin black epoxy (or maybe it was powder coat since I have used both) on the black parts had them looking very respectable. The bright trim was an absolute pain. Hammered out the dents and filed down and polished. In a few spots managed to file right through the trim. Where the hole was on the flat part of the trim I got a tig welder to put down a dab which was filed flat; but on the highly curved front part of the trim the welder did not want to put a dab. He couldn't really see well from the back side and didn't want to risk blowing right through the trim. Had to use some silver grey epoxy to fill from the back side and then dab in some bright silver paint from the front. Not perfect; but, they are pin holes so not really obvious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 18:17   #169
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Bit more progress. Delicate bits getting trim off. Looks solid but a good few of the trim clips missing or knackered. Need to see how how many spare ones I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20230401-WA0013.jpg (189.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20230401-WA0011.jpg (173.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20230401-WA0012.jpg (182.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20230401-WA0014.jpg (132.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230401172646.jpg (258.6 KB, 5 views)
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 18:21   #170
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
How is your center grill and headlight surrounds? On my 142 the center black ribs were pretty bent up and the surrounding bright trim was also pretty dented. It is all rather thin aluminum. Nice that it doesn't rust; but, a hard stare will create a dent in the aluminum and my car had seen a lot of action on gravel roads.

Many hours with a tiny pick and hammer managed to get the black parts looking good. A little spot filler in a few spots around the headlight and then some satin black epoxy (or maybe it was powder coat since I have used both) on the black parts had them looking very respectable. The bright trim was an absolute pain. Hammered out the dents and filed down and polished. In a few spots managed to file right through the trim. Where the hole was on the flat part of the trim I got a tig welder to put down a dab which was filed flat; but on the highly curved front part of the trim the welder did not want to put a dab. He couldn't really see well from the back side and didn't want to risk blowing right through the trim. Had to use some silver grey epoxy to fill from the back side and then dab in some bright silver paint from the front. Not perfect; but, they are pin holes so not really obvious.
The ones fitted and sides are really decent but I have a NOS grill and one NOS headlight surround to fit. I have NOS front wings, the front panel was virtually new and have a spare boot lid, the side trim are NOS as well as the mirrors and have one NOS door handle. Pretty much all I could source.

Forgot also NOS bumpers with rubbers. A lot of hens teeth parts here in the UK.