Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 XC90 High pressure power steering pipe

Views : 945

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2021, 13:58   #1
craigjohnson

Default 2004 XC90 High pressure power steering pipe

Hi all,

XC90 2004 2.9 Petrol

My steering was making loud grinding noises and the garage say I need a new high pressure power steering pipe (part number 30665730) but Volvo dont produce them anymore. They can't source from anywhere.

Does anyone know a part that would work in this instance?

I found this https:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124871789...gAAOSwPRlhJ8fr

Would it work?

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by craigjohnson; Aug 31st, 2021 at 14:03.
craigjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 14:22   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigjohnson View Post
I found this..... Would it work?
The pipe is rubber and listing says:
Quote:
Fitting Position from expansion tank to hydraulic pump
It's basically the feed from the PAS reservoir to the pump so not a high pressure hose.

Do you have a leak?
Is the fluid at the maximum cold level when cold and clean, clear and bright green?
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 14:36   #3
craigjohnson

Garage says it is split - I had previously topped up fluid and noise disappeared. But a few hours later the fluid was on my drive.
craigjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 15:22   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

If that is definitely the offending pipe, the eBay one will be fine.
It's just that high pressure was mentioned and as the steering, fuel, ac etc. have high and low pressure sides, correctly identifying the culprit is essential.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 00:28   #5
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Available from UK too - https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/30740269

If it's not a high pressure item, I would think you could get away with one that's less expensive than the "original" hose...

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 14:05   #6
spiralarms

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add my experience (so far) to this one.

I've a 2005 XC90 that decided to dump all its power steering fluid the other day, due to a corroded high pressure hose just by the steering rack gaiter.

I've managed to get the old one out without removing sub frame, and have received this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165856759509 replacement one.

However I notice the actual fitting ends are a bit squarer than the (presumably original) hose that came out, which are more rounded. I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue with the mating surfaces not fitting snugly. I've not tried to look into the receptacle end yet.

Having said that, though I managed to get the old one out, I've yet to get the new one back in. I've got a friend coming round with an engine hoist to hopefully lift the engine just a few important mm so I'm not forcing the new hose too much.

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAS-HP-fitting.jpg (81.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PAS-HP-hose.jpg (110.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PAS-HP-leak.jpg (90.5 KB, 18 views)
spiralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 17:06   #7
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, I have the 't' shirt on this one.

My prob started when the metal part of this pipe was rubbing against engine sump and rubbed through.

I had a replacement piece of pipe inserted. This is 12mm in this area and I used stainless steel compression fittings. These are rated at 750psi, whereas the pump is 120psi.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325425074489

Now if you cut this steel pipe after the rubber section and take the whole pipe back to the pump to a good hydraulic supplies company, they will fit new rubber and crimp the ends.

I use a company called Leigh Baxter locally.

The cost should be less than £20.

Note the pump you have will probably have a screw in barb. It is this that is no longer available. The replacement pump from Volvo uses push in parbs with a retaining nut. If you use later pumps, the Volvo recommendation is to replace the pipe too.

I note an earlier post where someone removed this pipe through the offside wheel arch. You may want to read this as well.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...+steering+pipe

I suggest the 'cut and shut' method to fix.

I also suggest just using the pipe with jubilee clips will not take the 120 psi and could be very dangerous and perhaps an mot fail. But I expect you would realise this!

Hope this helps

Last edited by john langrick; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 17:20.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 11:36   #8
spiralarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Note the pump you have will probably have a screw in barb. It is this that is no longer available. The replacement pump from Volvo uses push in parbs with a retaining nut. If you use later pumps, the Volvo recommendation is to replace the pipe too.

I suggest the 'cut and shut' method to fix.

Hope this helps
It did yes, thanks. I've managed to replace the hose. I'd agree that if you have the skills (or access them) to cut the metal pipe at about the mid point and replace it with a joint, that would make life a lot simpler.

I ended up removing that lump of metal at the front by the front engine mount, jacking the engine up a bit, and bending some of the under tray fixings out of the way.

My job was made more difficult because the Ebay part I ordered wasn't an exact replacement. The "barb" at the column end needed some work to get it to fit. Which of course I didn't spot until after I'd fitted it the hose, so had to remove it again.

I'll add more details to that other article later, but here are a couple of photos. One is the O/S engine mount to give you an idea of how much I jacked the engine up, the other is the misaligned barb/flange hole.

Thanks

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230325_131251445.jpg (209.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230326_105229532_HDR.jpg (268.5 KB, 20 views)
spiralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spiralarms For This Useful Post:

Tags
parts, pipe, steering