Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to do? Low battery with 12 day wait for new cam belt

Views : 1858

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 03:11   #1
Nick04

Default What to do? Low battery with 12 day wait for new cam belt

Volvo V50 has been parked on the driveway for 6 weeks whilst awaiting registration. That came through a couple of days ago, been on some short trips, but battery is low. Currently booked in for a cam belt change in 12 days time. Don't have a battery charging pack or anything. Was going to keep the vehicle in light use but having second thoughts now. Mileage is only 50k but 3 years over the recommended 10 years for cam belt change.

Should I do some short runs to keep the battery ticking over?
Nick04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 08:20   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick04 View Post
Volvo V50 has been parked on the driveway for 6 weeks whilst awaiting registration. That came through a couple of days ago, been on some short trips, but battery is low. Currently booked in for a cam belt change in 12 days time. Don't have a battery charging pack or anything. Was going to keep the vehicle in light use but having second thoughts now. Mileage is only 50k but 3 years over the recommended 10 years for cam belt change.

Good morning, Nick, I would invest in a battery charger if I was you - mine was c£30 from Aldi a while ago. Good value against the price of a new battery, and you have it by you for future use. I would offer to lend you mine if I was in the N.E.

Regards, John.
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 10:22   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

YES:~ A must for standing/underused batteries.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 13:34   #4
jasons6930

I had an Audi S4 years ago that didn't get used much and kept draining the battery.

In the end i bought a Ctek with the hard wired fly lead that bolts to the battery and then just plugs into the charge unit.

I paid about 70 odd quid for it, but it's gone up a bit now...

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ba...650791021.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 14:05   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick04 View Post

if the battery is low now,, its time for a replacement
V50/s20/c30 etc platform do "sulk" and throw gremlins when the battery is low/near end of life
and if your spending the £ on the car to keep it well maintained,, gen volvo battery - worth it (8+years life span)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 15:42   #6
Nick04

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
if the battery is low now,, its time for a replacement
V50/s20/c30 etc platform do "sulk" and throw gremlins when the battery is low/near end of life
and if your spending the £ on the car to keep it well maintained,, gen volvo battery - worth it (8+years life span)
Is it still worth replacing even if there is nothing wrong with it? Or does the fact that it has gone low compromise it in some way?

I guess my initial dilemma was having no power when it comes to dropping the car off in 12 days or using it in the meantime and possibly risking the cam belt going.
Nick04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 16:20   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

buy or borrow a battery charger always handy to have in just in case of emergency in the future
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 16:45   #8
scbamber

Nobody can afford not to have a battery charger. CTEK are certainly one of the best but are priced accordingly.

STOP PRESS!!! Also have a charger this week for £12.99 ( online only, plus postage, link here https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-car-b...13260585046300). A cambelt makes a CTEK look cheap, and the Aldi one crazily cheap
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 18:11   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post
Nobody can afford not to have a battery charger. CTEK are certainly one of the best but are priced accordingly.

STOP PRESS!!! Also have a charger this week for £12.99 ( online only, plus postage, link here https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-car-b...13260585046300). A cambelt makes a CTEK look cheap, and the Aldi one crazily cheap
That's incredible value. Mine was c£30 although there was a less powerful similar model with fewer features for c£20, but that was over a year ago.

Regards, John.
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 18:49   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If you can still start the car, I would do that and leave it ticking over for about 20 mins. Very low stress on the cambelt, should keep the battery with some charge.

But leaving a battery substantially discharged does increase the risk of it deteriorating, and on these cars when you have a low battery, using the car is not the best way of getting it back to a good charge - you really should use a battery charge to saturate the battery again.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: