Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Brakes '99 V40

Views : 1042

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2010, 00:05   #1
stevo48
Premier Member

Default Rear Brakes '99 V40

Today I decided to tackle the rear brakes on my V40, nearside showing shiny disc and well worn pads, offside, rusty disc and loads of wear left on pads.
started on offside rear wheel, wheel stuck firmly to hub so much use of lump hammer required to release wheel from hub, sliding caliper retaining bolts removed easily only to find sliding caliper pins siezed in situ.
After the application of copius amounts of releasing fluid/oil the sliding pins eventually worked free and removed, sliding pings cleaned up with wire wool and liberally coated with copper slip before re-installation with new pads and caliper re-fitted, much the same process with nearside but less hastle regards sliding pins.
I can now report the car feels much better under braking, it now takes less pressure on the brake pedal to slow down and stop and the car feels much more "planted" under heavy braking, well worth the effort and grazed knuckles it has improved the braking and stopping abillities of the car quite significantly.
If you are going to tackle the job ensure you have releasing oil(not wd40) I use 3 in one spray oil, copper slip and the tool required to turn the caliper piston (I used the draper caliper wind back "cube", readily available from ebay, cost around £4.00, other than that you need a good socket set and a 15millimetre open ended spanner to hold slide pin while removing caliper bolts.
A good supply of elastoplast also helps along with a good dose of patience. The job in total took around two and a half hours but I did clean everything meticulously and made sure all moving parts where well lubricated.

Last edited by stevo48; May 9th, 2010 at 00:07.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:52   #2
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Time well spent. A good practice to lube up the slide pins with copperslip at each pad change.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:25   #3
T4FLY

I was gonna do this on my 03 V40 this weekend but think I'll give it miss and let the garage do it as I'm done with chopping up my hands
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:21   #4
jez v40

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4FLY View Post
I was gonna do this on my 03 V40 this weekend but think I'll give it miss and let the garage do it as I'm done with chopping up my hands
wimp. get the wheels off and get stuck in. when you've done you'll feel much better. knowing that you've cleaned and lubricated everything,
jez v40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 23:09   #5
Volvon
Master Member

Good job. You'll see the difference in mpg I certainly did when I done the same. When your calipers are in poor condition I'd recommend using a caliper tool, if they aren't so bad needle nose pliers do a fine job of winding the caliper back in.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:26   #6
bertuk

job well done, better having money in your pocket rather than the dealers done a few of them rear brakes on the v40s, easy once you have the right tools the sliding pins your on about seems common thing on a lot of them but esy to rectify job well done mate
Old May 17th, 2010, 22:22   #7
coupeboy

Volvo do a sliding pins kit with new rubber concertinas and special grease - about a tenner for both sides. Copper slip will eventually rot the rubber and then the seizure problem will occur all over again - but you're probably OK for a few thousand miles otherwise.
coupeboy is offline   Reply With Quote