Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swap rear fog light right to left

Views : 1067

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 03:40   #1
C30inFrance

Default Swap rear fog light right to left

My car has failed its CT (French MOT) because of the headlights and fog lights. Don't ask me why now, it's its 3rd CT! Maybe rules have been tightened up? Or I had a stickler for a tester? I wasn't required to change any lights when getting the car homologated and registered here.

With the headlights, it's possible that I've switched the lever inside the light over and forgotten to switch it back. Possible, but not likely as I've not been in the UK since the car's last CT. I'm going to have to have a play with that.

Rear fog though, well that's more of a matter of fact - it is on the wrong side. I'm wondering if it'll simply be a matter of running a wire from one to the other, and possibly buying a new light if a bulb housing is required (haven't looked yet at the unit to see)

It's all rather annoying and baffling tbh. Why has it become an issue now when previous testers have said nothing.
C30inFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C30inFrance For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 06:05   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
On my V50 I ran a single wire across the back to link the 2 sides and now have both fog lights on.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 06:38   #3
C30inFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
On my V50 I ran a single wire across the back to link the 2 sides and now have both fog lights on.
Cheers! That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear! That's do-able
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 07:03   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...77#post2252277

Some info here if any use

Didn't realise it was so long ago!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 18:43   #5
C30inFrance

Thanks for the info. Most valuable..

I had a quick look just now and there's already a bulb for it on the left hand side. I think it's maybe the reversing light*. Certainly the right hand bulb is shared use. So it is just a matter of running a cable right to left. I'm going to have a look at a wiring diagram to confirm, and just get a sense of what's going where, but it looks very do-able.

The C30 lighting clusters are a bit of a fiddle to get in/out and I'll have a look at running the cable through the frame behind covers, so I suspect it'll take me longer than 30 minutes but nonetheless it looks straightforward enough.

I could post photos of the 2 clusters (left and right) if someone wants to say "it's the grey wire"...

*edit: ordinary running light. reversing lights are white..obviously... twonk!

Last edited by C30inFrance; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 19:11.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 18:54   #6
C30inFrance

On the headlights, I think the tester went off the deep end because it was RHD and so he started talking about conformity. Looking at the actual numbers, they're not that far out. Ditto front fogs. I reckon my local garage can sort that no worries.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 10:18   #7
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C30inFrance View Post
On the headlights, I think the tester went off the deep end because it was RHD and so he started talking about conformity. Looking at the actual numbers, they're not that far out. Ditto front fogs. I reckon my local garage can sort that no worries.
Do you have detailed info why headlight failed? or just "no pass" ?
Drive 8meters from any wall and see how the light pattern look, you might immediately see the problem. In EU the light pattern should be like that

____/ ____/

if you forgot to move the shutter it would look like \__\__ or something oddly unshapen if lever not fully pressed.#
Maybe one of lights is too low or bulb you changed (if) is not fitted correctly and distort the pattern?
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 20:45   #8
C30inFrance

The fail blurb itself is generic; a reference to the section of the rule book and a cover-all description

Headlights - 4.1.2.a.2 Orientation outside norms
Fog lights - 4.5.4.a.2 Conformity

...there are test values but they are meaningless to me.

Left -3.8%. Right -2.8%. (allowed range -2.5% to -0.5%)

I did fit a new bulb recently (left side) so maybe it's fitted wrongly. I'll check that and the beam pattern as you suggest.

Note, the fail refers only to dipped beam (so, again, I think the headlights themselves are fine for EU use and the tester was having a moment.

Last edited by C30inFrance; Aug 8th, 2022 at 21:56.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 17:13   #9
C30inFrance

I could do with some help here please. I thought I'd worked out where the wire went from and to but it's not working.

From the wiring diagrams, I concluded that the wire would run from the yellow/green wire on the right hand side (rhs pic attached) to the unused socket on the left hand side pic (lhs attached, foremost socket) Lighting pages from wiring diagram also attached.

Where have I gone wrong?

Edit: additional questions. Can the wires be safely removed from the socket you see in the pics? On the other side of the socket there appears to be an orange clip-like thing that does pull out a little way - but I didn't want to pull it further than it seemed to want to go. Does that release the wires? It didn't seem to but I didn't want to go heaving on them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lhs.jpg (122.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg rhs.jpg (120.1 KB, 16 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf brake_lights.pdf (63.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf fog_lights.pdf (69.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf tail_lights.pdf (76.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by C30inFrance; Aug 14th, 2022 at 17:29. Reason: correct downloads
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 21:07   #10
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Have a look at the metal conductive track on the housing that holds all the bulbs on the side that isn't working. Check the track is intact, and not cut. You could then just touch on a live wire on the track to prove the bulb actually works.
Easy way to check for correct wire is with a meter. Switch on the fog light and find the live wire or wires at the rear light cluster then switch off the fog light and see which voltage disappears, recheck and then loop that over to the other side, touch it on whilst live at test that way, when proved just connect up. Think the pins come out, you have to push a thin sleeve down the terminal to release a spring tang to pull the pin out.