Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service with brake fluid?

Views : 1400

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 17:14   #21
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Same here. My previous V40 reached 370,000mls with no brake issues. As a matter of course I always remove the calipers, expand the cylinders and rewind them, clean and lubricate the pad mating surfaces and slide pins. Check and lubricate the handbrake cables. This is all part of the annual service and check over before the MOT. Change the fluid every two years. The only brake components that were changed were disks and pads and all still good mechanically when rust killed the car.
That’s interesting to hear, how did you make sure you didn’t ‘pop out’ the cylinders?

I have been rigerous on my routine however do no more than change the fluid each 2 years. I had a caliper fail at only 110k.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 19:53   #22
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
That’s interesting to hear, how did you make sure you didn’t ‘pop out’ the cylinders?

I have been rigerous on my routine however do no more than change the fluid each 2 years. I had a caliper fail at only 110k.
I remove one caliper at a time and then press the brake pedal two full times - check the piston and then two more presses if needed. The piston doesn't need to come out far, but just enough to move it. The rubber bellows will be slightly stretched and easier to check for any snags. I then press the piston fully back in and make sure it is free - releasing the bleed nipple to expel the fluid. Re-assemble the pads and caliper and move onto the next one. The mot chappie usually comments on how perfectly balanced the brakes are.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 20:24   #23
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I remove one caliper at a time and then press the brake pedal two full times - check the piston and then two more presses if needed. The piston doesn't need to come out far, but just enough to move it. The rubber bellows will be slightly stretched and easier to check for any snags. I then press the piston fully back in and make sure it is free - releasing the bleed nipple to expel the fluid. Re-assemble the pads and caliper and move onto the next one. The mot chappie usually comments on how perfectly balanced the brakes are.
Thank you,

There is much everyone can learn regarding high miles. For me it’s auto box, haldex but also power steering fluid.

At 115k my fluid was grey and sedimenty. I simply dip from the header tank and keep refilling with fresh. I have known several v70s scrapped as the steering rack is so expensive to replace.

Will look into what you say.

Any other tips?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 19:12   #24
green van man
Premier Member

Last but 1 service, arrived to pick up the car. Here you are sir, all serviced and we have changed the brake fluid.
Oh, why did you do that then?
Well, there was no record of it having been done
No, there would not of been as I do it myself every 2 years.
What, bleed it at the calipers properly?
Yes, I bought a vacuume bleeder to do it myself after the last time you did it and snapped 2 bleed nipples, then expected me to buy 2 new calipers..

Last service I told dealer, Do not change brake fluid, nor power steering fluid, I do that myself and it does not need doing.

My method is to buy 4 litres of fluid. Clamp the flexi hose on the wheel nearest the master cylinder, remove the bleed nipple compleatly, grease it, screw it back in lightly, attach hose and pump a vacuume, release clamp and stand at master cylinder pouring fresh fluid in to the reservoir untill clean fluid is running into the catch tank. Tighten nipple, and repeat on next wheel.

4 litres of brake fluid changes both the volvo and the landrover with a bit spare for top up if needed.. both cars brakes and clutches fluid changed in under 2 hours with a coffee stop. Because the nipples are greased every time, I never have a problem undoing them.

Regards Paul.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 19:18   #25
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Thank you,

There is much everyone can learn regarding high miles. For me it’s auto box, haldex but also power steering fluid.

At 115k my fluid was grey and sedimenty. I simply dip from the header tank and keep refilling with fresh. I have known several v70s scrapped as the steering rack is so expensive to replace.

Will look into what you say.

Any other tips?
Mines a manual and I tow with it. Gearbox oil is changed every 2 years, and power steering fluid. Coolant is checked every year, while its antifreeze qualities do not lessen I find it discolour as the corrosion inhibitor die, the Ford stuff is nowhere near as good as the original volvo coolant was..

Paul.