Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC70 owner

Views : 2745

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2021, 11:09   #21
apersson850
Premier Member

In these cars (V70/XC70/S80), the Sensus system was introduced in model year 2012. First cars came in 2011, of course. I know, I have one of them.

The navigation in these cars was first updated via a pack of DVD's. The map data was transferred from the DVD's to the internal hard drive in the car. Then came a software update, which enabled downloading the new maps from the internet, then transferring them to the car via a USB stick. I have that too.

Model year 2015-2016 had this ability from the beginning. They are easily spotted, since they have a button with a globe icon at the upper right of the center console, under the MY CAR button. My older car has the CAM button (camera) there instead.

Sensus cars that need to update via disc use a generic pack of discs. But you need a car specific code to install them.
The internet download is free, once you paid for the update to be able to use them.

Some of the 2015-2016 models are equipped with Internet maps from factory. This is a lower featured navigation system, which has less features and require constant access to the internet, to download maps as you drive around. It can be updated to full navigation capability, for a fee. Then it becomes similar to the older RTI system, in the 2012-2014 cars. The internet map system does of course renew the maps all the time, so there's no need to update manually. If you convert to the full navigation system, then Volvo is still producing updates for them.

Even older models, 2007/8-2011, where the navigation screen elevates up from the center of the dashboard when it's used, require a map DVD to be in the car at all times, if you want to use the navigation system. They don't have the hard drive to host the maps. If you drive outside the reach of the DVD that's currently installed, you have to exchange it for the correct one for your current area.

Last edited by apersson850; Aug 6th, 2021 at 11:11.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 12:15   #22
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Volvo have now withdrawn map support from the earlier Sensus sat navs. My 2012 hs just been issued with the last ever map update for the system which is refusing to load so I am being treated to a simulation of what it will be like not to be able to update the maps. It sucks that Volvo can dump a feature of car support after only 8 years. Spare parts are covered by a 10 year support assurance after the last date the part was used in the manufacture of a car. I would have thought that the maps were simply a spare part and that Volvo should have supported them for another 5 years years at least and if they are the same maps used in later models, of which I'm not sure, they should be supported even longer. It is a cynical betrayal from a company which has traded for decades on its reputation for producing cars with great longevity.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 13:51   #23
george57l
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
In these cars (V70/XC70/S80), the Sensus system was introduced in model year 2012. First cars came in 2011, of course. I know, I have one of them.

The navigation in these cars was first updated via a pack of DVD's. The map data was transferred from the DVD's to the internal hard drive in the car. Then came a software update, which enabled downloading the new maps from the internet, then transferring them to the car via a USB stick. I have that too.

Model year 2015-2016 had this ability from the beginning. They are easily spotted, since they have a button with a globe icon at the upper right of the center console, under the MY CAR button. My older car has the CAM button (camera) there instead.

Sensus cars that need to update via disc use a generic pack of discs. But you need a car specific code to install them.
The internet download is free, once you paid for the update to be able to use them.

Some of the 2015-2016 models are equipped with Internet maps from factory. This is a lower featured navigation system, which has less features and require constant access to the internet, to download maps as you drive around. It can be updated to full navigation capability, for a fee. Then it becomes similar to the older RTI system, in the 2012-2014 cars. The internet map system does of course renew the maps all the time, so there's no need to update manually. If you convert to the full navigation system, then Volvo is still producing updates for them.

Even older models, 2007/8-2011, where the navigation screen elevates up from the center of the dashboard when it's used, require a map DVD to be in the car at all times, if you want to use the navigation system. They don't have the hard drive to host the maps. If you drive outside the reach of the DVD that's currently installed, you have to exchange it for the correct one for your current area.
Maybe going off-topic as I wander through my reactions to this but ...

Yes - I had a 2012 MY / 2011 reg V70 and I did have to get the dealer to install the car software upgrade that then allowed me to install a downloaded map updated via USB. All worked swimmingly (once I'd told the dealer that I knew it was possible and would they please do their job and work out how to make it so for my car! They had not come across it before.)

I now have a MY2015 (2014 Reg) XC70 and it does have the globe in the top right-ish position, but as you seem to have some knowledge of all this, apersson850, maybe you can shed some light (here goes with the off-topic bit)...

On my 2011 reg V70 and my 2012 reg XC70 (both now gone) I could add my own POI files in the right file format on a USB stick and add them to the Sat Nav under the MyPOI menu.

In the MY 2015 XC70 I now have, I tried this and it failed. There is no 'MyPOI' menu option, to start with. Yet Volvo says it can be done, here:

https://www.volvocars.com/nz/support...t-of-poi-files

As a result of that page's advice and my dealer being unable to provide any assistance I concluded my car has got Sensus Navigation installed and not Sensus RTI.

The dealer did not even know there was a difference and they are now allegedly asking the factory for a technical report to describe the different options. (I say allegedly, it has been a long wait so far.)

(As an aside just when I started going into all this, I ordered a front camera to be fitted. Parts were ordered, car was booked in and then they told me they could not fit it as the kit was not compatible with my Sensus. Some time later the factory did provide a kit that would work and it was installed. I wonder if this was the same issue - failed kit was for Sensus RTI and they had to put their thinking caps on to create a kit for Sensus Navigation. You'd have thought the factory had a record of the car's options - well, they do - and would have got it right first time, but no - they just ship what the dealer orders and if the dealer has no clue that RTI and Navigation actually exist as different systems, let alone bother to check which one the car has...)

So when I put a USB stick with POI files on it into the car it happily tells me it is uploading them. And then nothing - no stored locations with these POIs, and of course there is no MyPOI menu option, and of course the native Volvo POI set does not get added to either. So it has uploaded files and cannot do or has not done anything with them.

Do you have any knowledge of the differences between RTI and Navigation? Indeed, does anyone here? (Perhaps I should also copy this across to a new topic with that title.) I cannot even see why Volvo even offered them as different options.

I'm still waiting for the dealer to report back with the technical report so I can ask the pointless questions:
a) Is there a software upgrade to make Navigation into RTI ('no' is the answer I expect)
b) is a hardware upgrade/swap of the Sensus head/system possible (very unlikely but even if there is it will be exorbitantly expensive and certainly not justified merely to add some POIs)

Any light that can be shed would be most welcome.

Last edited by george57l; Aug 6th, 2021 at 13:54.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 05:53   #24
Volvoxc70uk

Thank you for all the answers guys
Volvoxc70uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 22:17   #25
jokis

Question New XC70 owner

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first Volvo a few weeks ago, and there's few questions for me to answer. First of all I need to know my cars interior trim colour, can someone help me in this matter please? I find old thread in this forum where people get the all the info about their cars from VIN numbers, but unfortunately that thread is closed. So my Volvos VIN is:

YV1BZ83A4C1126000

Thanks
jokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 13:00   #26
apersson850
Premier Member

Look at the B-pillar on the car. There's a sign with various information, like interior trim colour.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 21:39   #27
jokis

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Look at the B-pillar on the car. There's a sign with various information, like interior trim colour.
I did this already, not much I understand in it. Tried to google info about that sticker, only what I find is just exterior colour code 498. I've attached photo of the sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211127_141414~2.jpg (107.7 KB, 24 views)
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 15:33   #28
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokis View Post
I did this already, not much I understand in it. Tried to google info about that sticker, only what I find is just exterior colour code 498. I've attached photo of the sticker.
F212 is your interior colour.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 20:32   #29
jokis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
F212 is your interior colour.
Ok, thank you Kev0607.
The Following User Says Thank You to jokis For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 13:34   #30
apersson850
Premier Member

2390 kg is max weight of car.
4490 kg is max combined weight of car and trailer.
1260 kg is max load on front axis, 1210 on rear.