Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Regeneration Cycle - V40 D4 MY 2014 (5 cyl)

Views : 2067

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2021, 05:31   #1
Agro

Default DPF Regeneration Cycle - V40 D4 MY 2014 (5 cyl)

My understanding is that a regeneration cycle differs from model to model diesel engine so would anyone have "specific" knowledge of what exactly happens during a dpf regeneration cycle for this model engine? Details like:

1. How much soot triggers a regen
2. How long it generally takes (miles/klms)
3. Does a regen cycle eliminate all soot accumulated in the DPF or leaves some behind
4. What happens if one turn off the engine during a regen cycle
5. What happens if one gets caught in a traffic jam during a regen cycle
6. Anything else that can give one a good understanding of exactly what happens during a dpf regeneration cycle.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 07:01   #2
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , remembered this & copied it it for you
For the particle filter to be regenerated, an exhaust temperature of approximately 600 °C is required downstream
of the filter. This is achieved via various engine operations, such as throttling, changed fuel injection, glow plug
activation.

Regeneration can be triggered in a number of ways:
▪ Used fuel volume,
▪ Time that engine has been running.
▪ Distance driven since last regeneration.
▪ Differential pressure across the particle filter or calculated particle weight in the filter.
▪ Start in the workshop using the diagnostic tool.
▪ Particle level in the filter calculated by the engine control module (ECM). What soot
weight each level corresponds to varies between different vehicle variants. Particle levels
are given below translated into soot weights (grams), and what effect they have.

With that in mind there are 5 different levels or circumstances in relation to the DPF based on the calculated weight of soot in the filter. Note that 2.0l and FWD 2.4l have the same Catalytic Converter/DPF combo installed straight off the back of the turbo whereas AWD 2.4 have a separate DPF installed under the floor of the vehicle. Below are the explanation of each level from VIDA.

DPF Soot Levels

Level 1: Engine control module (ECM) starts combustion of soot particles in the particle filter during highway driving.
Level 2: Engine control module (ECM) starts combustion of soot particles in the particle filter during normal driving.
Level 3: A text message, Soot filter full, is sent to the Driver information module (DIM), and the control module sets a DTC.
Level 4: Engine control module (ECM) can no longer start combustion of soot particles of its own initiative. A further text message, Engine system service required, is sent to the Driver information module (DIM), and another fault code is sent.
Level 5: More than 100 g soot . Combustion of soot particles cannot be started using the diagnostic tool.

Engine--Particle Filter----Level 1----Level 2----Level 3----Level 4----Level 5
2.0------ccDPF-----------NA--------27g---------32g------36g-------100g
2.4------ccDPF----------24g--------27g--------32g-------36g------100g
2.4-------ufDPF----------28g-------30g---------40g------45g-------100g

My own v70 2.4D gets a weekly run at 60 -65 MPH for about 30 mins on the motorway , this so far has OK . I am an MOT tester & see many , many diesels that potter around town doing very shorts journeys , causing blockages & visible smoke . I always ask presenters to "thrash " the engine on te nearby motorway to help clean the exhaust & aid the emission test ( saves me bloody hours ! )

Hope this helps
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 08:18   #3
Agro

Thanks for your reply @dingov70. The reason for starting this thread is because I feel (though not sure) that this V40 'may be' misbehaving during the regen cycle.

There are two Volvos in the family. My 2014 XC70 2.4 D5 and this V40 2.0 D4 driven mainly by the wife. Both have an OBD2 scanner fitted and we use the Car Scanner App to provide us with the DPF Soot level, and DPF Temperature. Both cars are very low mileage and this allows us to know when the regen cycle is about to start and ensure we continue to drive the cars in order to complete the cycle.

My XC70 starts the regen process when the DPF Soot Level reaches 29/30grams (about every 250klms). During this time the DPF Temp increases from around 300degC to fluctuate between 550degC and 675degC. The regen is complete when the Soot Level reaches Zero.

The V40 on the other hand starts the regen process at various stages when the Soot Level reaches somewhere between 26grams and 29grams. It gets up to the same temperatures but never seems to drop down to a zero Soot Level. It will stop the regen process at various stages between 6 grams and 14grams of soot. Not at all consistent, and bloody annoying.

So the ultimate question is...... Is this normal operation on this model engine.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 21:55   #4
dingov70
Master Member

HUM ! , I would speculate that it is nothing out of the ordinary . As before driving style / distance travelled are the greatest contributing factors for DPF regens . Short journeys are going to create a higher soot loading quicker than a long journey at speed