Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar Optimisation Deals?

Views : 21191

Replies : 175

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2022, 10:15   #171
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
Keep us inform please. If you find provider that accept PS without overpricing for it
Quick update after getting the renewal in from LV.
First surprise was that the renewal was £50 less than I paid last year.

Anyway, called them up and asked about P*. Explained it was primarily for optimisation of gear changes and general responsiveness but there is a small increase in power.

He went off to speak to an underwriter and their view was that anything that increases the BHP is classed in the category of "engine chipping / remap", although he did suggest that higher BHP increases would be seen as higher risk.

I also increased the mileage at the same time as adding the P* so can't be sure exactly how much of the change is attributed to what but the renewal went up by £70. Based on looking at comparison sites and changing the mileage, I estimate that was about £20, so £50 for the P*.
In the end, only about £20 more than I paid last year and cheaper than any quote I have seen on the comparison sites.
I also got a quote from the Volvo insurance site - that was almost £500!
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 10:34   #172
Lozzingers

well done getting a decent quote with P*.
The ironic thing is on the Volvo website it says P* is safer as it gives more power for safer overtaking etc etc. With that mindset, it should be cheaper to insure
Ex:MY22 XC90 T8 R Design-Grey
Ex:MY17 XC90 D5 PP -Grey
Lozzingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 17:42   #173
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
Quick update after getting the renewal in from LV.
First surprise was that the renewal was £50 less than I paid last year.

Anyway, called them up and asked about P*. Explained it was primarily for optimisation of gear changes and general responsiveness but there is a small increase in power.

He went off to speak to an underwriter and their view was that anything that increases the BHP is classed in the category of "engine chipping / remap", although he did suggest that higher BHP increases would be seen as higher risk.

I also increased the mileage at the same time as adding the P* so can't be sure exactly how much of the change is attributed to what but the renewal went up by £70. Based on looking at comparison sites and changing the mileage, I estimate that was about £20, so £50 for the P*.
In the end, only about £20 more than I paid last year and cheaper than any quote I have seen on the comparison sites.
I also got a quote from the Volvo insurance site - that was almost £500!
Just checked LV now and £250 more to the premium they want to add ;( this is shocking
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 10:15   #174
suchy101

Spoken to Direct Line three separate times.

First two were over the phone.
During the first call I was told that adding P* will not affect the premium, mostly on the basis of P* not being a car modification (no extra parts etc)

But this was just a word of the mouth. Considering just how different other insurers approach this I thought it would be good to have something in writing.

So I called the second time. Had a really hard time explaining the difference between P*, and a car tune/chip. Conversation ended with a promise of "checking and getting back to me". Two weeks on and have not heard from them.

So I decided to have a written chat with them, using webchat. This time I was told (after checking by the rep) that P* does not need to be declared to them for insurance purposes.
suchy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 15:09   #175
Casa1862

Something similar with Saga, no need to report as power increase below a certain amount, note made on file that I'd called to inform them anyway.
Casa1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 16:45   #176
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

They all vary.

When I had my V60 polestar'd recently , I was ready with the 'percentage power increase banding' e.g. 11-20%, 20-30% as that's what insurers asked me for in the past.

With A.Flux I told them it was the official Volvo Polestar remap, and they just recorded as 'change to engine management system'.

I think they were more interested if there had been any mechanical or visual changes (exhausts and alloys) to be honest.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote