Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 66081

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Yesterday, 10:26   #1281
Thekilt

With public charging, its not as difficult as many make out. Take Octopus Energy for example. They have a ""Electroverse" app and you can order an RFID card to keep in your car too for the times you dont have signal. They work with many different suppliers to amalgamate into one simple app. Not all are on there (pod point for example) but if you are aware how they all work it isnt that much of an issue.

We mainly use Superchargers when travelling as they are cheaper than most other public charge points, however sometimes its easier when parking somewhere and charging using the chargepoint. the only issue i had was one i cornwall which was a new system and a bit of a pain to set up, but i have never had to wait to charge anywhere.
Old Yesterday, 11:34   #1282
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
That’s a big E7 Xmas list. Least it’s not throwing away the EV dream in the pile just yet.

TT
Definitely good news from an EV perspective. Not so good for diesel and petrol owners. Euro 7 vehicles have to be compliant for 10 years or 200,000km (just over 124k). So that means none of the blanking off emissions systems like EGR's for example until the vehicle is over 10 years old or has done the appropriate mileage. Considering older cars (euro 6) are loaded with sensors as is, that's going to be costly from an ownership perspective for euro 7 owners. Not that I agree with blanking off EGR valves and so forth, but people do it to try and keep their cars on the road without spending a fortune replacing faulty parts to get them through an MOT. We all know it happens. Key point...

• Euro 7 will also consider new vehicle technologies to make vehicles tamper-proof and to help with measuring emissions easily.

With regards to Tesla, I still think they're the best option for anyone doing longer ranges. They have the best charging network/support. Like you say, EV's are Elon's USP.
Old Yesterday, 11:55   #1283
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
With public charging, its not as difficult as many make out. Take Octopus Energy for example. They have a ""Electroverse" app and you can order an RFID card to keep in your car too for the times you dont have signal. They work with many different suppliers to amalgamate into one simple app. Not all are on there (pod point for example) but if you are aware how they all work it isnt that much of an issue.
Well that's quite interesting. As an onlooker (looking at users experiences of both Tesla and "everyone else"), "everyone else" looks like a nightmare...but I appreciate that's not first-hand experience. But, then again, I witnessed a colleague struggling for about 10 minutes with a destination charger to top up his XC40 a few weeks ago, while (at least as far as I'm aware) with a Tesla you just plug it in and the car takes care of billing, etc. I do appreciate that you would potentially need to grapple with a third-party destination charger with a Tesla, too, but at least you aren't taking a deep breath about potentially having that experience every time you stop for a mid-journey splash.

I believe that the smart route planning / charger integration which has been a key Tesla benefit is now present in some cars with AAOS, which is a huge step forward, but you're still at the mercy of the network (reliability, complexity, availability, etc) and the higher kWh costs.

Of course none of that is a factor unless you're actually going to charge away from home, and many people will barely ever (or potentially never) do that.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:07   #1284
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
So that means none of the blanking off emissions systems like EGR's for example until the vehicle is over 10 years old or has done the appropriate mileage..
It's already a criminal offence to remove a factory catalyst, EGR or DPF on a vehicle of any age or Euro rating.

Prosecutions, both for proving the service and driving a modified car, are starting to trickle in.

https://autorepairfocus.com/garage-p...modifications/
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:17   #1285
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Well that's quite interesting. As an onlooker (looking at users experiences of both Tesla and "everyone else"), "everyone else" looks like a nightmare...but I appreciate that's not first-hand experience. But, then again, I witnessed a colleague struggling for about 10 minutes with a destination charger to top up his XC40 a few weeks ago, while (at least as far as I'm aware) with a Tesla you just plug it in and the car takes care of billing, etc. I do appreciate that you would potentially need to grapple with a third-party destination charger with a Tesla, too, but at least you aren't taking a deep breath about potentially having that experience every time you stop for a mid-journey splash.

I believe that the smart route planning / charger integration which has been a key Tesla benefit is now present in some cars with AAOS, which is a huge step forward, but you're still at the mercy of the network (reliability, complexity, availability, etc) and the higher kWh costs.

Of course none of that is a factor unless you're actually going to charge away from home, and many people will barely ever (or potentially never) do that.

cheers

James
I had an issue yesterday when parking. I didnt really need to charge as i had 170 miles remaining, and the cost per kwh was quite high. However to pay for parking was more arduous than charging. We didnt have any change, the parking machine didnt take card, and when trying to use the app it stated i was already registered but even after resetting password i still couldnt get in. 5 minutes faffing i gave up, parked at the charger (third party charger) plugged in and tapped the RFID card from Octopus and behold it was charging. Wasnt an issue at all. I have had bad experiances with third party chargers, and i dont for one minute disbeleive any of the issues other people have had. Its not all roses with Tesla chargers either. We have encountered ones which dont work, or dodgy connectors but luckily at the time of day we were there it wasnt busy at all.

I remember well the times i was at fuel stations and there wasnt any fuelat the pumps, then trying to find another local station with fuel before running out. similar stories but people forget this and focus on the negative of something they dont like.
Old Yesterday, 16:00   #1286
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It's already a criminal offence to remove a factory catalyst, EGR or DPF on a vehicle of any age or Euro rating.

Prosecutions, both for proving the service and driving a modified car, are starting to trickle in.

https://autorepairfocus.com/garage-p...modifications/
I'm well aware of that, but it still happens.
Old Yesterday, 17:05   #1287
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I'm well aware of that, but it still happens.
Yes, it's endemic, unfortunately.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Yesterday, 22:20   #1288
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Just seen a press release from Polestar where they are trialing a new version of the battery on their forthcoming Polestar 4 model which can charge from 10% to 80% in 10 minutes. That's the sort of progress we need to see.

The downside is if it has say a 90kWh usable battery, you'd need a 1,200 amp socket in your garage....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Yesterday, 22:38   #1289
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Just seen a press release from Polestar where they are trialing a new version of the battery on their forthcoming Polestar 4 model which can charge from 10% to 80% in 10 minutes. That's the sort of progress we need to see.

The downside is if it has say a 90kWh usable battery, you'd need a 1,200 amp socket in your garage....
Why can't they learn from the Toyota hybrids which charge the battery as you drive around? Then you wouldn't need a power socket at all!
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:23   #1290
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Why can't they learn from the Toyota hybrids which charge the battery as you drive around? Then you wouldn't need a power socket at all!
Good point. As the power would be generated by a small mechanical device that can run for a considerable amount of time on magic motion lotion that takes just minutes to fill a tank - there would be no need for all this expensive, high power, complex charging infrastructure !
1976 Massey Ferguson 135