Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Secondary Security

Views : 2403

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:33   #21
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieC View Post
Dan, where do you live that you have to take such measures, or is it just habit for security and peace of mind?

Davie
Dan's in Barnsley - 'nuff said

btw Dan - don't you have people putting scratches down the sides of the car with your Police Dog sticker being so prominent? When I had my Rover 800 Vitesse I put a 'Dont Drink & Drive' sticker on the back bumper which replicated the ones being put on Police cars at the time, only to have it vandalised within days
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:38   #22
alsner
In Volvo limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Man View Post
My cars all have an OEM anti-theft device. It's the 'VOLVO' badges front and rear..........
Heh heh heh

I must be very lucky because the only time I've ever had an attempted theft of a car was; My Mrs left her hand bag in the car on the passenger seat, NOT the brightest of moves apart from that never had a problem EVER. I did have a motorbike that vandalised for a past time though....

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 13:07   #23
LankyTim
Missing the point

Ive read that you can make your own tracker from a cheap pay-as-you-go phone. Get one, stick a tenner on it and hide it inside the car somehere, behind the dash maybe. I guess youd have to have a charger wired in for it as well. Turn it on and forget about it. Theres a service you can subscribe to for £15 a year or so which is aimed at parents who want to know where their children are at any one time. It uses the phones signal to triangulate the location of the phone. I think its accurate down to 150 FT or something.

Basically if your motor gets pinched you can go online, see where it is and set off with your mates to give the thief a good hiding... and recover the car of course....
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 13:13   #24
alsner
In Volvo limbo

I saw the samething about the phones for parents to locate their kids so it does sound very logical that you could create a very cheap tracker for your car using the system. What about reception of the phone if you place it deep within a car, would it be too affected? But saying that you just want a signal not speach, would it be possible to utilise the frame of the car to magnify the signal???

It has brilliant possibilites for a very cheap cost.

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 15:49   #25
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I have a feeling that most mobile co's may de-activate a phone if it is not use or not enough credit is spent each month..

Is this not correct? as it would put this idea to ground..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 16:00   #26
bob13

One thing i did for security was to have a set up where you had to turn the radio on before you could start thr car. Works evern better if you have a face of radio, You could also wire it up so it would start when the lights are switch on or any other electricasl systems for that matter.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 16:24   #27
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
Ive read that you can make your own tracker from a cheap pay-as-you-go phone. Get one, stick a tenner on it and hide it inside the car somehere, behind the dash maybe. I guess youd have to have a charger wired in for it as well. Turn it on and forget about it. Theres a service you can subscribe to for £15 a year or so which is aimed at parents who want to know where their children are at any one time. It uses the phones signal to triangulate the location of the phone. I think its accurate down to 150 FT or something.

Basically if your motor gets pinched you can go online, see where it is and set off with your mates to give the thief a good hiding... and recover the car of course....
i heard of a system ages ago that used a mobile phone to immobilise the car, you linked the system/phone into your cars wiring & when you rang it cut the cars ignition, i think the system could be set to answer the call as well so you could give the people inside a personal message yourself
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 16:25   #28
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
One thing i did for security was to have a set up where you had to turn the radio on before you could start thr car. Works evern better if you have a face of radio, You could also wire it up so it would start when the lights are switch on or any other electricasl systems for that matter.
thats a good idea, all you'd need is a relay in the starter circuit that was tripped off the electric aerial wire
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 18:14   #29
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Talking Tracs Switch

You could use an OE. switch in the dash, like a Tracs switch if you don't have it fitted.
Or a retina scanner and DNA sampler, sorry went daft for a minute.

Fit metal foil strips under the material of your seats (must not be hide) and attach to the coil of your car. When immobilised and a scrote tries to start your car they get 50,000 Volts up the ass. BROOOO hahahahah!!!

Lee
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 18:28   #30
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

i've had a shock off the coil before (messing with the HT leads while the engine was running DOH) & can guarantee they'll think twice before robbing a car again if you did do that